Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flights operated by AA...PNR/Record Locator?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum - this place is huge!

So I booked flights this morning on Expedia (fantastic deal, usually I would buy direct from the airline). I have received US Airways ticket numbers and a US Airways confirmation code. It says the flights are operated by American Airlines though. I am wanting to pick seats etc for my flights and understand that I need an AA PNR/Record Locator to be able to do this? (when retrieving my reservation on the US Airways site it says I have to confirm seats/checkin online etc with AA)

Expedia didn't give me any joy so I called AA directly. Worryingly they have no record of my details on their system, but they can recognise my US Airways flight number. Because of this they said that they cannot see or give me a record locator. They tried to put me directly through to US Airways but they are now closed.

Should I be worried about anything here? I have booked BA flights operated by AA before and got hold of the PNR just fine. Also entering my US code on checkmytrip.com doesn't give me anything for AA either. I just don't understand how US Airways can give me an AA PNR but not AA directly. I have to admit, the lack of my details in AA's system is really starting to get at my OCD

Can anyone offer any advice here? Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Darrell
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by dbarrott
Can anyone offer any advice here? Or point me in the right direction?
I'd pursue this with Expedia, since you bought the tickets there.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

No luck with Expedia unfortunately. They say its down to the airlines.

Anyone else have any experience of this?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dbarrott
No luck with Expedia unfortunately. They say its down to the airlines.

Anyone else have any experience of this?
If anybody needed some evidence to see how Expedia can be worthless, here you go.

You should be able to find your AA record with a flight number, departure city, and date.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/findReservationAccess.do
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

^Thanks. But that link asks for name and Record Locator...

Ok, I found the right page but it says it cannot find my reservation. I'm beginning to think this is more a job for US Airways? I just expected AA to give me the record locator though..

Last edited by dbarrott; Feb 2, 2014 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA, BA, DL, SPG Gold
Yup I'm in the same situation. Grabbed a one-way flight from MIA-NYC on a holiday weekend. The American flight was $384, but USAirways was showing the same flight for $124.

Only OTA I could find that let me book at that price was AirFastTickets (had never heard of them either, but linked from Hipmunk so I figured couldn't be too bad).

Ticket purchase seems like it went through... I got a USAirways confirmation code and can see the trip on the USAirways website (though shows that I paid in GBP, for whatever reason).

Now just need to figure out how to get the American Airlines record locator!

I figure I'll give it a day and then call USAirways to see if they know it.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I really can't speak to booking through Expedia. Our May trip on US was booked on US but we used our AA FF#s as that's who we travel with probably 80%+ of the time. Interestingly I can get to our reservation on the US site using the record locater but, for obvious and fully understandable reasons, not through our regular US account. Going to AA website the flights are not under our FF#s and even though the system supposedly will look up record locaters for other lines it doesn't show the booked US flights reservation. I'm not concerned, it's just the way things are right now as US and AA move closer to merging operations. Maybe the end of March will bring on even more integration. Interestingly I got a call this morning from a friend in Maryland inviting us up to their beach house next July. Went to US and AA to check flights and they're now showing AA flights on the US site and US flights on the AA site so some merging is or has taken place.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA, BA, DL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spacetime17
Ticket purchase seems like it went through... I got a USAirways confirmation code and can see the trip on the USAirways website (though shows that I paid in GBP, for whatever reason).

Now just need to figure out how to get the American Airlines record locator!

I figure I'll give it a day and then call USAirways to see if they know it.
FWIW I emailed myself the itinerary from USAirways and under the confirmation code section it says:

American Airlines : Confirmed - Please check back for confirmation code.

I assume it will show up in a day or so...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spacetime17
FWIW I emailed myself the itinerary from USAirways and under the confirmation code section it says:

American Airlines : Confirmed - Please check back for confirmation code.

I assume it will show up in a day or so...
I have got exactly this too. Did you book your flights today as well? Probably just need to be a bit more patient!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
I booked flight yesterday morning. Took 1 day to get an AA PNR. But now, I can't seem to request my upgrades online...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
What you need to do is look up the flight information/locator information on the US Airway's site, and then look for the ticket number (a long set of digits). From there you should be able to take your last name, the ticket number, and the date of your flight to go look it up on the AA site. From there you should be able to get the AA locator, and select the appropriate seats (granted if you have a fare class and status to support it).

I have friend that roll their eyes when they see my tracking sheets, and always ask "why the ticket number" ... and this is the use case example for why .... (since Record Locators can get get reused ...).

Hope this helps.

+-ADT
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try putting US PNR in www.checkmytrip.com or http://www.viewtrip.com It may (or may not) show the AA PNR

Finnair works sometimes:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-you-bet.html
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone.
I checked my US booking again today and it had updated with my AA locator.

So turns out I just needed to have a little patience
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Good stuff! I just booked a flight through my travel agency website as a pure US Air play with AA segments to see how it handles. Amazingly enough the same flight had three different prices (interestingly enough they were all the same flight).

+-ADT
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: AA PLT; TK Gold, Marriot PLT, IHG PLT
I also bought the tkt from JFK to MAD with a fantastic fare, the same route quoted on AA is more than 2*amount I have paid on US.

Met the same case, but after one day, evrything goes well. Have choose the preffered seat using my AA PLT status. Although I want to credit these miles to A3 as it shows US flight number.

Last edited by chispanol; Feb 4, 2014 at 2:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.