Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard Will Both Offer AAdvantage Cards After AA, US FFPs Merge, But…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi & Barclaycard Will Both Offer AAdvantage Cards After AA, US FFPs Merge, But…

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

There's been a lot of speculation about what will happen to Barclaycard's US Airways credit card program after Dividend Miles is combined with AAdvantage. Here's a breakdown of Barclaycard's and Citi's roles going forward, as explained by officials from the two credit card issuers:

Citi Is Exclusive AAdvantage Issuer, but Barclays Stays On Board
http://bit.ly/KlxsNt

Key Takeaways:
— In the short-term, Barclaycard and Citi will both continue to operate their flier card programs under the Dividend Miles and AAdvantage brands, respectively

— Until the two FFPs merge, Barclaycard can continue to open new accounts and add new customers for its Dividend Miles program

— After the two FFPs are combined, existing Barclaycard Dividend Miles card accounts will be rebranded under AAdvantage/American Airlines

— Once Dividend Miles is phased out, only Citi will be allowed to offer new American Airlines-branded card accounts (Citi will also continue to maintain its existing portfolio)

(Full disclosure: I'm the managing editor of PaymentsSource.com and the journalist who wrote the story linked above.)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Definitely good news! Especially if Barclays keeps the $99 companion certificate benefit and the 10,000 PQM benefit.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Interesting to see what happens with the BofA relationship, and if they end up having 3 banks servicing their cards...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plon
Interesting to see what happens with the BofA relationship, and if they end up having 3 banks servicing their cards...
BofA is no longer involved with either airline
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by austinkilgore
BofA is no longer involved with either airline
Actually you're incorrect. They still maintain cards for certain customers who did not transition to Barclays. I actually just got my new card in the mail.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Actually you're incorrect. They still maintain cards for certain customers who did not transition to Barclays. I actually just got my new card in the mail.
Would you mind sharing what benefits (if any) you get on US Airways?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would strongly encourage any AA regular to consider the US Barclays card while it is still available. While the 35k miles with no min spend is nice, the $99 companion passes are a GREAT value if your family flies domestically. Barclays also has lots of targeted promotions during the year, causing us to use the card more often than we would otherwise. Wife and I each added the card last year, currently banking US miles for U or Z TATL redemption, likely convert them to AA as the FF programs merge - although the 5k discount on mileage redemptions beats the AA 10% rebate for Citi card holders in most cases. Primary downside of US award redemptions - round trips only.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Would you mind sharing what benefits (if any) you get on US Airways?
Pretty much identical to the Barclay's card. Get sent the same companion certs; 10K preferred miles after $25K spend; double miles on US purchases; etc...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:11 pm

Same as they were pre-Barclays, and correct me if I'm wrong, but similar to what the PWMC offers. Off the top of my head:
  • $99 Companion certificate
  • Zone 2 boarding
  • First Class Check-in
  • 10,000 PQM for $25,000 spend
  • 2x Miles on US purchases
  • Not having to deal with Barclays

If anyone else can fill in what I missed... We don't get the mileage discount on award bookings, that's the only one I can remember the Visa doesn't get.

Last edited by plon; Jan 16, 2014 at 3:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:26 pm

Somewhat good news for me as Barclay's offers aren't available where I live but Citi's are.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

So it's a US Airways/Dividend Miles-branded card issued by BofA? Good to know. That's actually really interesting. Do I understand correctly that the BofA cards are only available to legacy accounts?

I do recall Barclaycard telling me during our interviews that after they acquired almost all of the BofA portfolio that there were some accounts that BofA still held onto, but we didn't discuss whether those were still open currently.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
If anyone else can fill in what I missed... We don't get the mileage discount on award bookings, that's the only one I can remember the Visa doesn't get.
Which is the only one I use ... besides double miles on US purchases.

One thing about the Barclays card is they've been running promos for 5x miles in certain categories pretty much every quarter it seems like lately.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by austinkilgore
Do I understand correctly that the BofA cards are only available to legacy accounts?
Correct.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Definitely good news! Especially if Barclays keeps the $99 companion certificate benefit and the 10,000 PQM benefit.
I'm not sure they'll keep the DM benefits after they convert to AA branded cards:

"We are not planning to rebrand any US Airways card member to Arrival," Nealon says. "They will become American AAdvantage card members and they will have all the benefits that come along with that."
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
I would strongly encourage any AA regular to consider the US Barclays card while it is still available. While the 35k miles with no min spend is nice
Was nice. The no-fee 35K offer died about 36 hours ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.