Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Well, that's true of every transatlantic market. In nearly all potential new markets, JFK will have considerably more demand (how much more varies somewhat by route), particularly in premium cabins, and connections from most major US markets but also more competition and slot constraints to deal with. PHL will have much more connecting feed, especially from many smaller markets, typically less nonstop competition (certainly no competition from US carriers on any new routes to Europe), and no slots to worry about (I think AA may be somewhat constrained by gate space and airport congestion at PHL, but I don't think that's nearly as likely to affect a few additional transatlantic flights at PHL as at JFK).
Agreed wholeheartedly on this - PHL's biggest European strength is its ability to single-connect people from many smaller NE/Mid-Atlantic communities whose only other OW option is backtracking to ORD/CLT and then likely double-connecting through LHR.

JFK and PHL go after surprisingly different markets considering they are less than 100 miles apart. It sounds like AA is starting to recognize this by returning PHL TATL to growth.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
On a side note, I can't find award seats on any of the BA flights out of PHX..
for what it's worth there's a ton of availability around thanksgiving and Christmas at the moment. Last night for example I found 8 open F award seats on LHR-PHX on dates that worked for us and quickly snatched up some of that capacity!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Agreed wholeheartedly on this - PHL's biggest European strength is its ability to single-connect people from many smaller NE/Mid-Atlantic communities whose only other OW option is backtracking to ORD/CLT and then likely double-connecting through LHR.

JFK and PHL go after surprisingly different markets considering they are less than 100 miles apart. It sounds like AA is starting to recognize this by returning PHL TATL to growth.
PHL is a NIGHTMARE for incoming international connections, something I attempt to avoid, even if it means more travel time. AA PHL ground staff are at best indifferent when it comes to help in making connections, MUCH better recent experiences in DFW.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
PHL is a NIGHTMARE for incoming international connections, something I attempt to avoid, even if it means more travel time. AA PHL ground staff are at best indifferent when it comes to help in making connections, MUCH better recent experiences in DFW.
And you'll find people who will say just the same about any other hub.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Do you think there's any chance of AA adding NYC-->FLL? Clearly all of AA's NYC traffic goes to Miami, but the FLL market share is growing at a rapid pace and anyone in the Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale area needs to drive a fair bit to even have the option of flying American (at least 1hr+ w/ traffic if coming from Ft Lauderdale or further north). It's surprising they don't have a NYC/FLL option given it's one of the most traveled routes in the country. AA also flies to DFW, ORD, PHL, CLT - so unsure why LGA/JFK is left out.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Do you think there's any chance of AA adding NYC-->FLL? Clearly all of AA's NYC traffic goes to Miami, but the FLL market share is growing at a rapid pace and anyone in the Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale area needs to drive a fair bit to even have the option of flying American (at least 1hr+ w/ traffic if coming from Ft Lauderdale or further north). It's surprising they don't have a NYC/FLL option given it's one of the most traveled routes in the country. AA also flies to DFW, ORD, PHL, CLT - so unsure why LGA/JFK is left out.
NYC-FLL tends to come and go on AA.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

PHL-GVA would be awesome (and is a Star-ish market not previously tried) though I don't think the LAA 767s would be a terribly competitive product. Given the large BA presence in Geneva it might work.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
PHL, as a LUS hub, is one of the places where priority baggage actually comes out first. That alone is enough to keep me happy connecting through it for international -> domestic.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
How about JFK? I thought AA had a strong international network there... I'd rather that they expand in JFK than PHL, as it makes more sense. JFK also services premium markets, such as LAX/SFO transcontinental service, so it'd make more sense to serve international flights that connect to those premium flights.
So... about JFK... NYC airspace routinely backs up in the afternoons leading to multi-hour ground delays for domestic flights. This means that one needs to plan a loooong connection to TATL flight at JFK. Personally, I avoid connecting to Europe at JFK. I have no qualms arriving from Europe at JFK, on the other hand (actually the arrivals process is easy with GE and AA has a nice terminal). I know not everyone is quite so strategic but I certainly prefer to have other options like PHL and ORD (I would be coming either from midwest or midatlantic).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by Finsup72
I take the LGA/PBI seasonal route at a decent clip, and the agents in PBI told me that the loads are so variable that I can't see it being supported year-round -- presumably this is roughly the same for FLL as well?

I know that Delta runs a LOT of NYC/PBI and NYC/FLL non-stops, so maybe the route is just saturated.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
NYC-FLL tends to come and go on AA.
Mostly goes. IIRC DCA/FLL is being pulled. I don't see it happening. As JFK/SJU showed AA ultimately backs away from B6. JFK/FLL was tried at least 2 if not 3 times.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by superweak
PHL-GVA would be awesome (and is a Star-ish market not previously tried) though I don't think the LAA 767s would be a terribly competitive product. Given the large BA presence in Geneva it might work.
Sorry, what does BA presence on the ground at GVA have to do with adding service there (genuine question) Ground handling?

I agree it would be great, but why GVA over other European destinations not presently served (Geneva being a relatively short hop from either CDG or ZRH on a train). So many other potential European destinations come to mind that PHL could, but does not serve. CPH, OSL, BUD, MOW (!), IST, VIE, all sort of jump to mind over GVA. I can see NYC-GVA from a UN perspective though, although I don't ever think that'll happen.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by superweak
PHL, as a LUS hub, is one of the places where priority baggage actually comes out first. That alone is enough to keep me happy connecting through it for international -> domestic.
I was going to say not in the PHL I fly out of, but thinking about it, it might be true in the international baggage claim. It certainly isn't in the domestic baggage claims though.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Sorry, what does BA presence on the ground at GVA have to do with adding service there (genuine question) Ground handling?

I agree it would be great, but why GVA over other European destinations not presently served (Geneva being a relatively short hop from either CDG or ZRH on a train). So many other potential European destinations come to mind that PHL could, but does not serve. CPH, OSL, BUD, MOW (!), IST, VIE, all sort of jump to mind over GVA. I can see NYC-GVA from a UN perspective though, although I don't ever think that'll happen.
BA presence = a large number of oneworld frequent flyers who might be interested in a same-alliance transatlantic option not going through LHR.

Not really to argue that it's a likely choice, but it's at least as likely as most of your list. Geneva is over three hours by train from CDG or ZRH and it's very difficult/impossible to get to them in the morning for a transatlantic departure (indeed London is closer to Paris by train than GVA is). Delta can barely make Moscow work seasonally even though it's a Skyteam hub. Istanbul would be worse than TLV. Budapest is implausible post-Malev. PHL-OSL and ARN were tried before. So of your list that leaves CPH and VIE, which are indeed probably more likely.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by fordan
I was going to say not in the PHL I fly out of, but thinking about it, it might be true in the international baggage claim. It certainly isn't in the domestic baggage claims though.
Fair enough, maybe it's only the international claim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.