Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by stc
If it was out of AA's control, B6 and DL would be suffering the same on time percentages that AA is. Yet AA is at the bottom of the barrel.

Let's see, ideas to fix it:

<snip>

Fix the aging fleet.

<snip>
American's fleet is younger than most of its competitors:

Code:
American   - 10.9 years
Delta      - 17   years
JetBlue    - 8.7  years
Southwest  - 12.3 years
United     - 13.8 years
It will get even younger by the end of 2016 with the delivery of 55 new mainline aircraft and retirement of more than 90 older aircraft.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
They still on tap for retiring 90? From what I've heard, MD80 retirements have had to be slowed owing to the gap in capacity and lift from the E-170s that were pulled off line when RPA went Chapter 11.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
They still on tap for retiring 90? From what I've heard, MD80 retirements have had to be slowed owing to the gap in capacity and lift from the E-170s that were pulled off line when RPA went Chapter 11.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26989785-post44.html
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Could AA be interested re-starting their own metal flight JFK-NRT (taking over for one JL flight) now that Delta is exiting the route/market?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Could AA be interested re-starting their own metal flight JFK-NRT (taking over for one JL flight) now that Delta is exiting the route/market?
Everything I've ever heard from the most knowledgeable sources points in the exact opposite direction.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Dutch-Speaking FAs

Is AA planning to fly to AMS? They posted on Twitter that they're hiring FAs fluent in Dutch.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I just saw on Twitter that AA is actively recruiting new cabin crew fluent in Dutch.

A new route to Amsterdam is in the cards?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would Delta's planned exit from JFK-NRT cause AA to want to fly JFK-NRT when its joint venture partner already flies it twice a day - I'm not seeing the logic. Delta's exit is probably because DL realizes that nearly every O&D passenger will now fly NH, which gets to fly JFK-HND in prime daytime hours.

With the joint venture between AA and JL, AA has not focused on USA-Japan routes as much as JL has; AA has been focused on starting long-haul nonstops that overfly NRT (but which are operated jointly with JAL). Displacing JL on JFK-NRT would require planes and crews that could otherwise fly somewhere that JL isn't allowed to fly. So where's the logic?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I just saw on Twitter that AA is actively recruiting new cabin crew fluent in Dutch.

Maybe from DFW? PHL is already served so makes me think not JFK and somewhat less likely ORD. But awesome! Amsterdam is such an amazing city.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Why would Delta's planned exit from JFK-NRT cause AA to want to fly JFK-NRT when its joint venture partner already flies it twice a day - I'm not seeing the logic. Delta's exit is probably because DL realizes that nearly every O&D passenger will now fly NH, which gets to fly JFK-HND in prime daytime hours.

With the joint venture between AA and JL, AA has not focused on USA-Japan routes as much as JL has; AA has been focused on starting long-haul nonstops that overfly NRT (but which are operated jointly with JAL). Displacing JL on JFK-NRT would require planes and crews that could otherwise fly somewhere that JL isn't allowed to fly. So where's the logic?
Chill....it was just a question lol
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
PHL-NRT would make more sense. PHL is a big market with a sizeable Asian population and has no direct flights to Asia.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Maybe from DFW? PHL is already served so makes me think not JFK and somewhat less likely ORD. But awesome! Amsterdam is such an amazing city.
They posted about this hiring on Facebook today as well.

I agree, it would be great to see more / better service there on AA as I love Amsterdam too. It's got to be difficult for AA to be at all competitive out of AMS with only one narrowbody across the Atlantic vs all the options on KLM from their hub.

Or perhaps the PHL-AMS route is at least getting an upgauge, to replace the aging 757s, and they need additional crew for the route. As it is, I almost always connect through LHR to get there so I can avoid the the old business seats on those birds.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
DFW or ORD would be my guesses. I forgot about the PHL route.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:43 pm

It could just be for the PHL route. It's switching to LAA soon, so if they want to have Dutch speakers on board, they'll have to hire new ones, as the current ones are LUS and won't be able to crew the LAA 757. (For now, anyway.)

The job ad only mentions LAA hubs, so it's definitely for the LAA side, in any case.

With that being said, I would love another route from AMS, though.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

Or they simply need Dutch speakers for existing route to Amsterdam. I wouldn't read much into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.