Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Has anyone has experience calling AA and asking them to change an award booking that was originally booked on QR to another partner? I am flying BOS-DOH-CPT, and am worried about what is going on with the Middle East countries placing sanctions on QR, and the possibility it may impact my flight.
I'm not sure what AA is doing for flights that are actually impacted by the flight restrictions.

There are, however, no restrictions on BOS-DOH-CPT and all the reports are that this is operating, although the DOH-CPT leg seems to have some delays because of the routing that could potentially impact your connection. Looks like QR may have worked that out, however.

As for changing awards because you don't want to fly QR even though you're on a route not impacted by the restrictions, I wouldn't expect anything other than allowing you to redeposit the award according to the rules and rebook on a different airline if its available.

If you have a J award on QR, I wouldn't switch to another carrier. QR's service in J is certainly better than BA's service in J.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: A few here and there
Hi All, I was the one who DM'ed the AA customer service team. Here is the link to the post if anyone is interested. http://imgur.com/a/icTsG

I was getting ready to book a flight on AY (BA code share) to BKK and looked up the earning potential. It seems as if the Twitter team is confused, but the made it clear at the end that these flights would not earn qualifying credit. I have not validated this further, so they could be wrong.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
Hi All, I was the one who DM'ed the AA customer service team. Here is the link to the post if anyone is interested. http://imgur.com/a/icTsG

I was getting ready to book a flight on AY (BA code share) to BKK and looked up the earning potential. It seems as if the Twitter team is confused, but the made it clear at the end that these flights would not earn qualifying credit. I have not validated this further, so they could be wrong.
The "Earn and Redeem Miles Between..." section at aa.com for each partner carrier is only a rough guide to where each carrier flies. The aa.com wording does stink, but it is not meant to be the definitive list on what flights you can or cannot earn miles on.

If there are any partner flights that will not earn miles, they will be listed below under "Exceptions." For example, looking at the AB page, under exceptions it specifically mention that any flights to/from Cuba are not eligible to earn or redeem miles on.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Although QR is unable to fly there currently, for October Expert Flyer is showing flights not as cancelled. Once cancelled, definitely would be able to cancel and get a fee free mileage redeposit. I wouldn't assume that AA was permitting such cancellations until it is cancelled other than with any region waivers in effect
QR is doing a rolling update on the banned countries routes.

A week ago they still allow booking starting from July. Obviously things are worse than they have hoped for so they zero out flights until October.

It is up to the folks whose flights involved the banned countries to decide whether they want to take a wait and see, or to talk to AA and see if they could get some resolution so they can get on with their travel plans instead of just sit there until further notice.

If I were the affected I would definitely talk to AA NOW instead of "assuming" what AA would do or would not do. ONLY actually talking to AA one could find out how AA would handle it. I would NOT want to be in limbo waiting on the development of this fiasco.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:21 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Well because it needs to be reissued to reflect the date change... from 16th June to 19th Oct. I only booked QR because I'd get the F award seat to CAI.

But in any case, I just found out that my itinerary has disappeared because it was sitting in queue for so long that QR autocancelled the booking. Now it looks like I am unable to book it at all even foward dates etc as DOH-CAI has completely be taken out.

So will check with AA in the morning to see what to do. Best I guess is for them to cancel and refund the entire booking.
This has been a problem with AA reported on some blogs that AA took its sweet time to ticket award tickets on QR flights, causing QR system to auto-cancel the booking as QR has not received a valid ticket from AA within the allowed hold time.

Both UA and DL can ticket awards within SECONDS and almost all their partners can be booked on line for years. One can also change award booking online without going thru phone agents. AA seems to be 10 years behind its competitors.

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Has anyone has experience calling AA and asking them to change an award booking that was originally booked on QR to another partner? I am flying BOS-DOH-CPT, and am worried about what is going on with the Middle East countries placing sanctions on QR, and the possibility it may impact my flight.

I'd love if AA just said, "Sure we will rebook you on BA." But I know that is a long shot in the dark.
BOS-DOH-CPT is NOT affected. The DOH-CPT flights going and coming are just FINE. Additional 1 to 1.5 hours are added to the flight time due to the longer path getting in and out of DOH. That is all.

AA will NOT rebook you on BA and eating the surcharge, not in your wildest dream.

We are taking MIA-DOH-CPT in first week of August and I am very confident we will fly as scheduled, after watching the Flightradar24 on the flight paths during the first week after the blockade.

In case you have never watched the real time radar showing, you could take a look tonight on this site - QR 1369 will show up in the list when it is approaching its departure time which is QR time after 2am. As of now QR 1370 coming in from CPT is operating NORMALLY.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...r-airways-qtr/

This should give you your needed peace of mind.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet

When was that conversation with AA's Twitter team? (which definitely is not the "customer service team", important to note)

Dunno if it was this weekend or not (maybe a long time ago, I didn't follow the genesis of it,) but if it was by some chance this weekend, I think they were all basically drunk all weekend*

(*See my exchange with them this weekend)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
When was that conversation with AA's Twitter team? (which definitely is not the "customer service team", important to note)

Dunno if it was this weekend or not (maybe a long time ago, I didn't follow the genesis of it,) but if it was by some chance this weekend, I think they were all basically drunk all weekend*

I don't know how they might have gotten drunk, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't on PDBs!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by fauxreals
...today all award inventory went from plentiful to 0 on the two week period in August that I was monitoring.
Now extended to Oct 28.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I know QR does. It looks like they used to but no long fly out of YYZ.

I was referring to IB, AB, AY, and LATAM flights out of Canada. They are not listed as giving points for flights out of Canada either.
As I recall, QR was approved for YUL only. EK and EY were given YYZ.

Just like down south, Air Canada lobbied the feds quite effectively to keep the ME3 out or at the very least, give them limited slots in only 2 airports.

The hilarious irony of course is YVR, where every day, there is another new mainland airline from China landing. Such a colourful collection of bird, yet no one complains about them.

For AY, it seems one had to fly either via ORD or use BA to LHR and onward on AY. Similar with IB, a cnx.

P.S. On the QR site, if you select YYZ-DOH, the top options route you on AA via PHL or ORD, for example, or AC via ORD. Weird. YUL is just down the road, as it were.

Last edited by 24left; Jun 19, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I'm seeing a flight for LAX-DOH that I'm trying to book. The agent said it went out unconfirmed so gave Qatar a call and Qatar told her there was no award availability on this flight. There's 2 seats showing up on BA. I'm able to get to the payment page with it. Would it error out if I made the booking? Is this a case of HUCA? It was a 3 hour wait today just for that call.

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Jun 19, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by Happy
If you could book them on BA, i.e. go thru the booking process and BA site gives you miles / $ cost, the seats are real. Otherwise BA site would not be able to book.

If it is the former, then it most likely due to AA system is behind, i.e. time lag.
This happens with CX/JL a lot as fauxreals suggested.

In the CX availability thread, such lag time and WHEN AA system would reflect the seats has been discussed many times in the long running thread. They even figured out what was the approx time window CX newly released seats would pop up in AA system.
I'm able to get through booking process with BA and see miles / $cost. On the last screen where you submit payment info. I'm tempted to just book it and see what happens and if it goes through just cancel within 24 hours. Too much of a hassle for today, however.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Originally Posted by JonNYC

Yep, was with the Twitter team Sunday morning. (Maybe hungover?). I was thinking of calling the 800 number they provided to get some clarity, but have better things to do this week.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:52 pm

Is QR still checking through luggage for connecting EY flights on AAward tickets?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Is QR still checking through luggage for connecting EY flights on AAward tickets?
I doubt it very much given that a connecting flight between QR and EY would have to be DOH-AUH and no airline is flying that route at present.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
a connecting flight between QR and EY would have to be DOH-AUH
DOH-MCT-AUH
DOH-KWI-AUH
DOH-AMM-AUH etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.