Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is American now blocking awards on Qatar from DOH to the USA? That's what an agent just told me. I am attempting to book an award ticket in 2018 from Africa to DOH to LAX. The first leg is easily available in the AA system. DOH-LAX shows as available but cannot be confirmed. An agent yesterday told me to call back today, that he thought the system might reset at midnight. Today, the agent went and conferred several times with others. She repeatedly said it was due to the diplomatic issues in the Middle East. I have little confidence in her answer, but the reality is that she could not confirm space.

@JonNYC
Will endeavor to find out!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is American now blocking awards on Qatar from DOH to the USA? That's what an agent just told me. I am attempting to book an award ticket in 2018 from Africa to DOH to LAX. The first leg is easily available in the AA system. DOH-LAX shows as available but cannot be confirmed. An agent yesterday told me to call back today, that he thought the system might reset at midnight. Today, the agent went and conferred several times with others. She repeatedly said it was due to the diplomatic issues in the Middle East. I have little confidence in her answer, but the reality is that she could not confirm space.

@JonNYC
FWIW they're acting like my DOH-DXB flight in 3 weeks is still valid and that they were doing me a favor by waiving change/cancellation fees on award miles when I spoke to them. Not sure why a DOH->USA flight would be tied into the diplomatic conflict in the GCC.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have a tour of QATAR, UAE and Saudi Arabia in early July meeting some clients there.

I wonder if the Saudi or UAE border police see a qatari entry stamp on my passport would they allow me to enter Saudi Arabia or the UAE or they will refuse my entry there?
No. It would do much damage to their own tourism industry and financial sectors. Only Qatari passport holders are barred.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by shgroamer
lol ok. You made your really far reaching point. Congrats.

Anyway, on to some relevant info for others in this thread...

I called AA and they agreed to waive changes. They even offered BKK-LHR-DXB on BA (no way, for me at least) and a few EY routes into AUH as a change option. If you're on an award ticket via AA in the next several weeks, might not be a bad idea to try to make a change.
That's interesting-- so AA is letting you transit third region (Europe) on an Asia to ME itinerary?
Were you charged for 1 award or 2 awards?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. It would do much damage to their own tourism industry and financial sectors. Only Qatari passport holders are barred.
It is Qatari nationals plus other nationals with Qatar residemce visas

Just having entered Qatar on a visitor visa should be of no issue
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Is QR still checking through bags on connecting flights with EY (e.g. at MCT) on AAward tickets?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Is QR still checking through bags on connecting flights with EY (e.g. at MCT) on AAward tickets?
I don't know if anybody knows, but considering QR can't rebook to EY at the moment, I would not make plans assuming that bags can be connected through.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hightide
That's interesting-- so AA is letting you transit third region (Europe) on an Asia to ME itinerary?
Were you charged for 1 award or 2 awards?
Great question. It was just offered without me asking but I didn't even consider it so never got to the mileage discussion so I can't say definitively either way. When I call to book my routing via HKG I will inquire.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by shgroamer
Great question. It was just offered without me asking but I didn't even consider it so never got to the mileage discussion so I can't say definitively either way. When I call to book my routing via HKG I will inquire.
Thanks in advance!

Also, I'm thinking that would exceed the MPM+25% for a ME-Asia award.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:33 am

I have a QR/CX itinerary over the holidays from DOH-DXB-HKG-PEN. Obviously it is not for 6 months so would you still stand pat or try to do DOH-MCT-DXB-HKG-PEN? I am arriving into DOH on a separate ticket and my connection doesn't work for either the DOH-HKG non-stops.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Is American now blocking awards on Qatar from DOH to the USA? That's what an agent just told me.
@JonNYC

I called again today and was able to book. At first the agent told me that I couldn't because of the issues with Qatar. On hearing the date, it was far enough out that she conferred with her award desk and told me that she could.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:23 pm

I have an x-DOH-AUH-x AAward coming up and was wondering whether to get AA to change it with DOH-MCT (QR) connecting to MCT-AUH (EY) or just wait until 72 hrs out and get QR to make their desired re-route, which would include more possibilities like WY, But I've just noticed that 3/5 WY flights to AUH are codeshared with EY, moreover, all the viable times are the codeshare. This indicates that changing the booking now via AA is the best option, but this would be contingent on QR booking my bags through as I don't want to buy an Oman transit visa. Though getting EY staff to do it at MCT might be possible as it is a J ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I have an x-DOH-AUH-x AAward coming up and was wondering whether to get AA to change it with DOH-MCT (QR) connecting to MCT-AUH (EY) or just wait until 72 hrs out and get QR to make their desired re-route, which would include more possibilities like WY, But I've just noticed that 3/5 WY flights to AUH are codeshared with EY, moreover, all the viable times are the codeshare. This indicates that changing the booking now via AA is the best option, but this would be contingent on QR booking my bags through as I don't want to buy an Oman transit visa. Though getting EY staff to do it at MCT might be possible as it is a J ticket.
How can AA get you on a WY ticket when they are not a partner?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
How can AA get you on a WY ticket when they are not a partner?
AA can't, but as stated in my post, QR can at the time of flying.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:01 pm
Suspended

@JonNYC

I called again today and was able to book. At first the agent told me that I couldn't because of the issues with Qatar. On hearing the date, it was far enough out that she conferred with her award desk and told me that she could.
Glad to hear it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.