Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:52 am

The flight is longer than jfk to Lhr. Jfk to Lhr is 85,000 miles in first but the Lhr to jfk product is better so 50,000 miles seems about right. I am not sure what is important to you but the seats are fairly comfortable it is usually quiet if sleep is important and the food is well airline food. I value the comfort and peace so I think it is worthwhile. I find american to have the most inconsistent service of any airline I fly so this aspect is totally hit or miss but the flagship ground product is good
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is a 3 class plan. Isn't 50k Avios the cost of J which is business on a 3 class plane?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
This is a 3 class plan. Isn't 50k Avios the cost of J which is business on a 3 class plane?
J is 37,500, F is 50,000

Due to absolutely no availability in J, it's coach or first. If we fly coach then we save 75,000 avios to be used for other trips.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by babaghanoush85
J is 37,500, F is 50,000

Due to absolutely no availability in J, it's coach or first. If we fly coach then we save 75,000 avios to be used for other trips.

Sorry for being slow, is this one way or RT?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:44 am

Sorry for being slow, is this one way or RT?
Has to be one-way. 37.5k miles in J on this route would be a steal if r/t.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
Has to be one-way. 37.5k miles in J on this route would be a steal if r/t.
I thought that when AA renamed first on a two class plane, it went to 25k each way. I must have missed the multiple going back to 3x times coach.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I thought that when AA renamed first on a two class plane, it went to 25k each way. I must have missed the multiple going back to 3x times coach.
For Band 1, 2, and 3 flights (under 2,001 flown miles), the BAEC multiplier for J is 2X Coach. For longer flights (like JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA/LAS/PHX), the J multiplier is 3X Coach.

And for all flights, regardless of distance, the BAEC multiplier for "true" F is 4X Coach. (First Class on two-cabin AA flights is now treated as J for BAEC redemption flights, so the multiplier will be either 2X or 3X Coach -- depending on flight distance.)

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 10, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
For Band 1, 2, and 3 flights (under 2,001 flown miles), the BAEC multiplier for J is 2X Coach. For longer flights (like JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA/LAS/PHX), the J multiplier is 3X Coach.

And for all flights, regardless of distance, the BAEC multiplier for "true" F is 4X Coach. (First Class on two-cabin AA flights is now treated as J for BAEC redemption flights, so the multiplier will be either 2X or 3X Coach -- depending on flight distance.)
Maybe my original question was a bit confusing as it was not to ask how many avios are required for a flight in business or first. The question is:

If flying from NYC to SFO (one-way) as a couple, is it worth it to spend 100,000 avios for two first class tickets? Keep in mind that there is no availability in J so the only other alternative is flying economy and using the saved avios for other trips.

Last edited by babaghanoush85; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

I was confused because it wasn't clear whether it was one way or round trip.

Is paid J out of the question? I had a similar issue for Thanksgiving 2018, but the differential (round-trip) between Y and J was under $600 (it was $1220 or so RT for J). So I just paid for it. (AA has been having one flight a day that they match Jet Blue Mint's lower fares if you book far out enough).

As to whether it's worth it for you, depends on what you would use the Avios for. I personally transfer my BA Avios to IB for use on LAX-MAD in J, which is 42,500 one way off peak. And since I value TATL non-stops in J from LAX very highly, and award availability on this route (out 330 days) is good, it wouldn't be worth it for me. But if you don't need the BA Avios for TATL flights, then it could be worth it to you.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Maybe my original question was a bit confusing as it was not to ask how many avios are required for a flight in business or first. The question is:

If flying from NYC to SFO (one-way) as a couple, is it worth it to spend 100,000 avios for two first class tickets? Keep in mind that there is no availability in J so the only other alternative is flying economy and using the saved avios for other trips.
You don't have to use 100,000 Avios to get two one-way F tickets; you could use 50,000 AA miles for one such ticket, and 50,000 Avios for the other -- if you prefer.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Seems nobody is really giving a straight opinion, but maybe because we don’t know what you value.

Do you have tons of points you could transfer to BA later? (Chase UR?) Do you have a good use for Avios soon, like for Europe, US short haul, or Asia short haul? Is economy intolerable? Also do you have status so you can select MCE for free?

If you have status for MCE, I would just go that route. In fact, I might not spend any points for economy if your travel is far out since RT on this route can be as low as $200-300.

I personally don’t think F is worth it on this route over J, given the length of the flight and some of the seat/cabin drawbacks (mentioned upthread). If spending cash and not trying to get EQM/EQD, I think JetBlue Mint may be a good option if AA is too pricey.

If you must do AA in J or higher, maybe consider JFK-LAX-SFO and see if J is available for points that way.

Personally I would use the Avios in other ways.

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you’re concerned about the number of miles, how about booking 3 coach award seats, the middle as LASTNAME/EXST. And depending on status you may even be able to get the MCE extra legroom.

JFK—>SFO in F would be very nice, especially ground service in JFK (ultra-priority checkin) and preflight dining. Onboard will have very good space, but as a couple you can’t sit together. Many couples prefer J for that reason, but obviously not an option. Onboard service is usually pretty good (but can vary from poor to fantastic), food is fair (better to eat in the lounge).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by jspira
The Flagship First Transcon product is something I fly with some degree of frequency. The seats (same as Flagship Business on the 777-300) are excellent given the 1-1 configuration, there's a cappuccino machine up front and the espresso or capuccino is served with really good biscotti, it's extremely quiet and relaxing, and I've never had a bad cabin crew.

A colleague of mine at FBT recently reviewed the product. Her review might be helpful.

American Airlines Flagship First New York-San Francisco – Flight Review

I completely forgot about the espresso machine, but then again I wasn’t offered one on my SFO JFK flight in F last week.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:17 am

I do have a good amount of UR and MR points but wanted to save those for other trips (specifically some on Star Alliance in the next year or so). Luckily, 2 spots for C (Business Upgrade) opened up on a flight that worked with our schedule. I was able to snag some coach fares and then upgrade via phone for 15,000 AA miles each before they disappeared. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Forgot to add: Neither the Mrs nor I have status, so MCE for free wasn't an option.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:27 pm

Hello, we had award tix on JFK->LAX in Y this summer on the Alaska 32S, but due to a schedule change, we were able to switch our tickets to the 321T. Pretty happy about that, but our reservation doesn't have any seat assignments and the only seats available were MCE that required payment. All of the main cabin seats are marked as "Unavailable". Is this normal? If so, we can only get seat assignments when we check in?

Also, if J was available later, how much would an upgrade cost in miles? It looks like the original 32S flight costs 12.5K, but the 321T Y costs 30K due to non-saver availability. If saver J is available, it would be 32.5K, but since we really only paid 12.5K, I'm assuming it would be another 20K for the J award?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.