Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I don't think an upgraded ticket is eligible for the same SDFC rules as a paid J ticket...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm going to take a little poll here. Let's say I want to take an 11:00 AM flight from JFK to LAX. What is the better deal (taking flight experience into account)

AAnytime Redemption in economy at 20,000 miles. $6 out of pocket cost, plus 20,000 miles.

Coach seat at $407, plus mileage upgrade ($75 plus 15,000 miles). $482 out of pocket cost, plus 15,000 miles. Based on the current J load, it is likely I get the upgrade

I save about $500 by just flying AAnytime, but I forgo the J experience and 2,500 EQM (which will actually be very useful for helping me hit platinum this year).

EDIT - After crunching the numbers, given I will likely need a mileage run at the end of the year without these 2,500 EQM, I think I may as well book the revenue flight.

Last edited by Adelphos; Aug 11, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm going to take a little poll here. Let's say I want to take an 11:00 AM flight from JFK to LAX. What is the better deal (taking flight experience into account)

AAnytime Redemption in economy at 20,000 miles. $6 out of pocket cost, plus 20,000 miles.

Coach seat at $407, plus mileage upgrade ($75 plus 15,000 miles). $482 out of pocket cost, plus 15,000 miles. Based on the current J load, it is likely I get the upgrade

I save about $500 by just flying AAnytime, but I forgo the J experience and 2,500 EQM (which will actually be very useful for helping me hit platinum this year).
how far out is your trip and how would you feel if you paid for the ticket but didn't get the upgrade? Unless the trip is in the next day or two, loads can be somewhat unreliable predictor as there can be a lot of last minute bookings on this route. I've also seen them open up Z in the last day or so if the first class cabin is wide open. Good news for you is the mileage upgrades now get prioritized over stickers but I imagine there is a good amount of mileage and SWUs being used on these flights.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
how far out is your trip and how would you feel if you paid for the ticket but didn't get the upgrade? Unless the trip is in the next day or two, loads can be somewhat unreliable predictor as there can be a lot of last minute bookings on this route. I've also seen them open up Z in the last day or so if the first class cabin is wide open. Good news for you is the mileage upgrades now get prioritized over stickers but I imagine there is a good amount of mileage and SWUs being used on these flights.
The trip is in a week.

A $400 ticket for economy one way to LAX isn't terrible, but Delta is selling a similar ticket for $260 right now for next week.

I edited my post - currently I have booked and planned flights that would put me at about 48,000 EQM in December. Booking this flight on a revenue basis would put me over, so I'm inclined to take it instead of finding a random mileage run in December.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Two F transcon flights coming up in November PDX-CLT red-eye in an ancient LUS 321 and MIA-LAX in an 321 32B 2 class...I know AA hates PDX but only a 2 class on MIA-LAX?

I'm an AS MVPG, soon to be 75k, looking at switching to AA as primary but being PDX based I just don't see the right planes.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Two F transcon flights coming up in November PDX-CLT red-eye in an ancient LUS 321 and MIA-LAX in an 321 32B 2 class...I know AA hates PDX but only a 2 class on MIA-LAX?

I'm an AS MVPG, soon to be 75k, looking at switching to AA as primary but being PDX based I just don't see the right planes.
What exactly do you expect out of PDX? In my experience, AA is flying 737s and A321s which seems reasonable (and no worse than what AS offered ex-PDX/SEA).

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

At least AS has power at every seat...is AA ever going to update the old US 321s?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:15 pm
Suspended

...looking at switching to AA as primary but being PDX based...
Do not do this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Do not do this.
I know but being PDX based the fallout of the AA/AS split hits me hard. My only other option is DL. I'll maintain at least MVP on AS but need need partner for 4 South America flights a year, plus Japan. I'll easily make Plat on DL or Plat Pro on AA. So far this year I have 50k on AA (credited to AS) and 20k on AS.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know AA hates PDX but only a 2 class on MIA-LAX?
Yeah, it seems silly they're using all their 3-class planes on less worthy routes when all the competition offers 3-class.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying an award ticket in economy on this plane around lunch time - I now get a free meal, right? Likely some kind of wrap? I haven't flown economy on this route in a couple of years, any other changes?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm flying an award ticket in economy on this plane around lunch time - I now get a free meal, right? Likely some kind of wrap? I haven't flown economy on this route in a couple of years, any other changes?
Flew economy recently - I was given the below meal for free, plus a snack about an hour and a half before landing. This was adequate for a lunchtime flight

Name:  IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  411.4 KB

It was interesting as the FAs made no attempt to sell beer, wine, other snacks, etc. I remember being offered these options last time I flew economy on this flight. The FAs emphasized that everything was complementary and didn't really offer anything else.
fedechat likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

The only 3-class MIA-LAX flight is the one operated by 777-300ER and only one per day. Not surprising since there aren't any 777-200s left with an F cabin.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is there any preferred MCE seat for a lunchtime LAX-JFK departure?
There are no windows as such to look out of in the exit / bulkhead so either I get a view for a little bit of daylight or lose the legroom (5ft7 so no major loss although it's nice and don't like underseat boxes taking my foot space).

At present I've a redemption flight from SFO-JFK booked in MCE (exit row) overnight. Holding out ideally for something in business either day or night.
Seems to be Ł116 / $140? for LAX-JFK in economy during the day so that seems to be a better daytime option as a flat bed would be wasted.

Not sure if I'm in San Francisco or L.A. so either suits me. Just want to be comfortable.

Last edited by xenole; Aug 25, 2017 at 6:51 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Flying the A321T "Sharklets" from JFK to DCA today...

Sitting in 9D now. The reactions this plane gets from customers is always funny to me. Customers are "shocked" by the seats they are in, amazed at the plane, etc. This is an impressive plane, I hope AA keeps this configuration for a long time
Gino Troian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.