Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's not happening anytime soon. To illustrate why:

DL 4x JFK-SEA, 2x JFK-PDX, 2x JFK-SAN
B6 2x JFK-SEA, 1x JFK-PDX, 2x JFK-SAN
AA 1x JFK-SEA, 0x JFK-PDX, 1x JFK-SAN

And it's not like AA couldn't put their current 738s on those routes right now if it wanted to to add frequency, but they don't. They're very weak transcon outside of their LAX/SFO strongholds (you can toss LAS into that too if you'd like).

And all that being said... their non-AFS F cabin doesn't look so bad, and would be completely competitive with what DL flies on those routes (DL doesn't generally fly their JFK-SFO/LAX outside of those markets either, so older 752s or 738s). So the opportunity for AA to win customers on superior hard/soft product in F will be there. I just wouldn't expect them to fly the AFS planes anywhere other than where they currently fly.
Yes, I agree that today those markets are weak to lost for AA right now. That said, these capital bets are long-term bets and one advantage of going from big wide-bodies to smaller narrow ones is that it gives you more supply flexibility (albeit raising some per passenger mile costs which is one thing they are trying to abate with the bankruptcy/labor contracts).

In previous waves, the industry went in big for hub and spoke and lower unit costs through plane scale. I think there is now some realization it came at the expense of flexibility which has hurt in a flat/down market with volatile fuel costs. IMO, these decisions reflect both good tactical and strategic thinking on AA's part - the big question is can they not just strategize but also execute on key elements of their plan (costs, customer retention/loyalty...).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
that's not happening anytime soon. To illustrate why:

DL 4x JFK-SEA, 2x JFK-PDX, 2x JFK-SAN
B6 2x JFK-SEA, 1x JFK-PDX, 2x JFK-SAN
AA 1x JFK-SEA, 0x JFK-PDX, 1x JFK-SAN
AA buys B6? Because then AA + B6 ≈ DL?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
This is certainly a stride in the right direction, clearly AA gets a lot of paid revenue for F and J otherwise they would have created smaller cabins.

Having lie flat beds on A321's seems quite a phenoenom, British Midland intended to put lie flat seats on A321 a/c from Heathrow to the middle east with Swiss seats. They put it on hold until BA bought them and BA are going ahead with the conversions.

Anyone noticed on the video link the complete lack of any branding? No AA logo and with the AA and the V thing between the 2 letters, no livery. Normally videos like that would open up with the AA title and logo and end with them, aswell as containing the livery among other branding related items. Looks like a new brand is on the way.

Looks a lot better than the UA/CO PS service, newer and more efficient aircraft, the seats look a lot nicer also.

Looks like a lot of 'AA needs to merge' people are keeping quiet with all the recent positive developments.
Or the vendors put it together for part of their pitch to AA & AA in bankruptcy decided it was cost effective to re-cycle rather than spend money on creating new content?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
More photos:

First Class:

Business Class:

Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The first two animated images (they aren't photos)
whatever
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Airbus huh? Is this AA's first use of that Mfg'er?

As a (ret) pilot friend of mine once said... "If it ain't Boeing, we ain't going" I got the feeling he didn't like the Airbus product all that much.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
Nope, AA flew 35 A-300s from about 1991-2009.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pdquick
Flying with 102 pax solves the problem of westbound range. The A321neo can't fly transcon west with a standard configuration without stopping. It sounds as if AA has decided that the combination of lower operating costs plus premium revenue will make this work. That's good news for pax, because it means that without major advances in engine efficiency, they are unlikely to change their minds and try to cram in more seats.
What you are saying isn't completely true. First of all, the A321 can make westbound transcons without fuel stops. It is just in the winter at peak wind speeds that the A321 has to make fuel stops. And the newer, higher gross weight versions that AA will receive (unlike the earlier models that US flies for example) will be even more range capable.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr

As a (ret) pilot friend of mine once said... "If it ain't Boeing, we ain't going" I got the feeling he didn't like the Airbus product all that much.

Heavens no! Surely you haven't forgotten the venerable A300-600 fleet that AA had? (mostly leased, IIRC) By the end, they were being held together literally with duct tape!

Biggest joke at AA was that the MIA ground staff would send the broken AB6s up to JFK because they didn't want to fix them at MIA. And then JFK would send them back down to MIA, or perhaps SJU.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Heavens no! Surely you haven't forgotten the venerable A300-600 fleet that AA had? (mostly leased, IIRC) By the end, they were being held together literally with duct tape!

Biggest joke at AA was that the MIA ground staff would send the broken AB6s up to JFK because they didn't want to fix them at MIA. And then JFK would send them back down to MIA, or perhaps SJU.
Also there was the tiff between Airbus and AA over the flight (#587) that went down shortly after takeover from JFK in 11/2001. Airbus pointed to pilot error and AA pointed to the design of the a/c and the official report seemed to blame both.

Even a few years back any thought of AA buying Airbus again would have been considered almost laughable. But time and money seems to have changed that belief.

And yes I remember a fair number of double (and even triple once) A300s being taken out of service. Including in MIA having 250+ paxs schlep from C to the high E gates (or vice versa) to reboard an equally drab, dirty and dingy A300.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:40 pm

I fly LAX-JFK and vv on cheapo fares often for leisure, and I choose to fly AA over B6 or VX because of my ability as an EXP to snag upgrades to J with a high success rate. So you might think that diminished upgrade potential would send me back to B6, but this announcement makes me more likely to stick with AA.

I do not like the Y product on the 762 and tell people that I wouldn't fly AA on this route without the upgrades to J. However the inclusion of Y+ (which will be comped with EXP vs. extra legroom on B6) will make me stay. I will still have the chance of getting an upgrade, and I'm hoping the Y+ will be just as good for me as a flight on B6 (apart from driving to LAX vs. BUR).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jbruer
I fly LAX-JFK and vv on cheapo fares often for leisure, and I choose to fly AA over B6 or VX because of my ability as an EXP to snag upgrades to J with a high success rate. So you might think that diminished upgrade potential would send me back to B6, but this announcement makes me more likely to stick with AA.

I do not like the Y product on the 762 and tell people that I wouldn't fly AA on this route without the upgrades to J. However the inclusion of Y+ (which will be comped with EXP vs. extra legroom on B6) will make me stay. I will still have the chance of getting an upgrade, and I'm hoping the Y+ will be just as good for me as a flight on B6 (apart from driving to LAX vs. BUR).
Although with 1,000 Y seats being taken out of daily capacity (probably a little less since another frequency or two might be added) I'm not sure how cheapo Y fares there will be. Its seems as though AA is ceding that part of the market to B6 and other carriers. Even as it is I'm not finding much below $500ai RT for the JFK/LAX route. Of course, possibly to get a cheaper fare (and better chance at upgrading) one will now need to connect rather than take the direct flight.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Not totally familiar with how AA treats OW status pax. I have sapphire as MPC
Gold. Would that qualify for the extra comfort seating.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jbruer

I agree. The new Y seats are definitely a big improvement! ^
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Although with 1,000 Y seats being taken out of daily capacity (probably a little less since another frequency or two might be added) I'm not sure how cheapo Y fares there will be. Its seems as though AA is ceding that part of the market to B6 and other carriers. Even as it is I'm not finding much below $500ai RT for the JFK/LAX route. Of course, possibly to get a cheaper fare (and better chance at upgrading) one will now need to connect rather than take the direct flight.
True, unless AA slips in a few daily 777s (as I have long advocated) to supplement the A321s.

No way could all ten daily flights be flown with 777s, but three or four? Anything's possible.

For random dates this fall, I'm finding $330 all-in LAX-JFK nonstop roundtrips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.