Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
And yes upgrades will now go through the window. Last time I flew AA transcon earlier this year while I was still EXP I tried to use a eVIP and I was still 7th on the list at boarding. I'd say even Main Cabin Extra will be hard fought for on these.
Well, these A321s will be 30% premium (30/102) instead of 24% on 762s (40/168). With only 35% of the plane (36/102) being regular economy, I would think that EXPs would be in at least MCE most of the time, unless AA is incredibly successful in filling the plane with expensive fares.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The odds have actually improved. Because 128 upgrading into 30 is about 43:10, while 72 upgrading into 20 is 36:10.
That's not the right calculation. 128 people on the flight are not eligible to request upgrades. As an EXP, I'm only 60-70 percent for upgrades on LAX-JFK with 36 seats. I'm assuming there are a couple of EXP's who requested upgrades before me but that most of people on that route are paid J. Its amazing to see the flight go from J7 4 hours before the flight to J0.

Since I'm usually no worse than no 4 on the list at the gate, I'm assuming the demand by paid and EXP on JFK-LAX is about 40. So I think 40 people are chasing 20, rather than 40 people chasing 36.

Considering they sell a lot of J on that route, I'm a little surprised they would go with 20 seats. I would have thought J sales on LAX-JFK average 30 seats per flight. I'm either way off or they are planning to add more flights.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've added a Mod Note to the OP with some of the links provided in this thread. Please send an Alert to request additions.

/Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
Remember that there are only 72 Y upgrading into 20 J vs. 128 upgrading into 30 J.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The odds have actually improved. Because 128 upgrading into 30 is about 43:10, while 72 upgrading into 20 is 36:10.
I disagree with both of you; the problem with your "odds" calculations is that they assume that all J seats are available for upgrade - that AA doesn't sell any of them. But that would be false.

Just for kicks, let's assume that AA currently sells, on average, 15 of the 30 J seats. That leaves 128 econ passengers hoping to score one of 15 upgrade J seats.

With these A321s, let's assume that AA will sell the same number of J seats, on average, or 15 of the 20 available. The future looks like five J seats for those 72 econ passengers - looks to me like the odds have worsened. And if AA can sell, on average, five more of the J seats (not out of the question if AA takes business away from UA and DL), then the upgrade chances just went to zero. Good for AA, not so good for us upgraders.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pssteve
Any word on seating counts on the A319's and non-transcon A321's?
Would hope to see 16F and 26F on the 319s/321s.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I disagree with both of you; the problem with your "odds" calculations is that they assume that all J seats are available for upgrade - that AA doesn't sell any of them. But that would be false.

Just for kicks, let's assume that AA currently sells, on average, 15 of the 30 J seats. That leaves 128 econ passengers hoping to score one of 15 upgrade J seats.

With these A321s, let's assume that AA will sell the same number of J seats, on average, or 15 of the 20 available. The future looks like five J seats for those 72 econ passengers - looks to me like the odds have worsened. And if AA can sell, on average, five more of the J seats (not out of the question if AA takes business away from UA and DL), then the upgrade chances just went to zero. Good for AA, not so good for us upgraders.
Makes sense. Frequency here is going to be the question. I do think this will make upgrades, especially free upgrades, harder. I'm also perfectly ok with that.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Well, these A321s will be 30% premium (30/102) instead of 24% on 762s (40/168). With only 35% of the plane (36/102) being regular economy, I would think that EXPs would be in at least MCE most of the time, unless AA is incredibly successful in filling the plane with expensive fares.
AA is also going to have to increase frequency, or else they're coughing up around 1000 seats/daily to B6/DL/UA/VX.

Yes, I know, AA is going for premium pax. Well, as a completely non-scientific experiment, go look up how many AA flights are available on SAAver F award this week, JFK-LAX, and compare to how many AA flights are available on SAAver award JFK-LHR this week. AA doesn't sell all their AFS F, not even close. Maybe improving the product will increase demand, but if it doesn't and AA isn't going to increase frequency, that's a lot of real estate to have sitting empty.

It will be interesting to see if this works... I'd also have to wonder if the 321neo will also fly some select JFK-Europe markets in this configuration, when those deliveries show up down the road.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Maybe improving the product will increase demand, but if it doesn't and AA isn't going to increase frequency, that's a lot of real estate to have sitting empty.
I doubt empty. My guess is 20J will lead to J oversales at times where J demand is high relative to relative F demand and you'll get some op-ups J to F which I think is just fine from a business perspective here. Those J tickets are still very expensive.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by sts603
Would hope to see 16F and 26F on the 319s/321s.
Thanks. Guess I better hope for the A321 to replace the MD 80's PSP-DFW/ORD which for me is the toughest UG (<50%). Seems the tourists in season are prepared to pay whatever it takes for F.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:51 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Some relevant posts from the now-closed Facebook announcement speculation thread have now been merged into this thread.

/Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm disappointed with a mere 20 J seats, but AA's plan for 10 solo F seats takes up a lot of real estate, so 26J (like UA's current 3-class ps) wouldn't work unless AA went with 36 total econ seats.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Some photos:

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IflyonAA
Some photos:
The first two animated images (they aren't photos) are of the A321 transcon F and J but the other two are renderings of the domestic Airbus F and Y.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 am
Suspended

The pictures suggest that there will be 5 rows for F ahead of the 2L door which would likely explain why they decided to go with 10 F even though 8 may have been more to their liking.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Flying with 102 pax solves the problem of westbound range. The A321neo can't fly transcon west with a standard configuration without stopping. It sounds as if AA has decided that the combination of lower operating costs plus premium revenue will make this work. That's good news for pax, because it means that without major advances in engine efficiency, they are unlikely to change their minds and try to cram in more seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.