Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Sitting in 9D now. The reactions this plane gets from customers is always funny to me. Customers are "shocked" by the seats they are in, amazed at the plane, etc. This is an impressive plane, I hope AA keeps this configuration for a long time
They are pretty nice, IMO. Occasionally scheduled on this run, JFK-BOS and LAX-SFO. Enjoy!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Anyone have thoughts on seats 11C/D in MCE? I booked myself/colleague on those JFK-SFO, and having read reviews on seatguru I'm now concerned about those seats being "too narrow" due to tray table and other armrest-related issues. We're both about 5ft9" so are we better off just taking regular MCE seats?

The related thread indicated in the wiki (Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated) seems to not exist
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
They are pretty nice, IMO. Occasionally scheduled on this run, JFK-BOS and LAX-SFO. Enjoy!
do they still do LAX-SFO after mainline got pulled from the route? Last time I had LAX-SFO in a 321T felt like at least a year ago.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:07 pm

Advice re: flying with cat in-cabin?

I need to transport a cat from NYC to SF. I usually fly United or Delta (Gold on both), but neither allows pets in F or J on any of their direct transcons - all now are configured with flatbeds, and pet carriers need to go underseat. I haven't closely tracked underseat clearance on Economy Plus (United) and Comfort+ (Delta), but there seem to be a variety of IFE boxes and misaligned seat rails that end up considerably shrinking the spaces.

Which brings me to American. I understand that the A321 "32Bs" allow two pets in each F cabin. It's unclear to me whether there is underseat space, or the pet carriers go into "pet cabinets" at take-off and landing. Can anyone clarify? I'm holding a F reservation, but the customer service rep couldn't provide the pet space details.

She did note that the pet reservation has to be finalized at the airport on the day of travel, on a first-come/served basis. Which apparently means the cat could be denied passage if two pets checked in to F before us. Unlikely, but worrisome. This leads me to question 2: does anyone know the under-seat clearance profile of MCE seats - particularly whether window/middle/aisle are unobstructed? In the wiki photos above, the MCE underseats seem relatively large and open- ? MCE allows 5 pets per flight, so our chances of being excluded there are much slimmer than in F.

I just want to get the cat to SF in relative comfort. Any guidance would be tremendously appreciated!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Member

My understanding is a pet cabin - there are two in the front of the cabin. Check this:

http://www.briansumers.com/home/2015...ew-york-and-la

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....t-coast-coast/

Hope that helps on the FC question. I cannot answer the MCE question.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Which brings me to American. I understand that the A321 "32Bs" allow two pets in each F cabin. It's unclear to me whether there is underseat space, or the pet carriers go into "pet cabinets" at take-off and landing. Can anyone clarify? I'm holding a F reservation, but the customer service rep couldn't provide the pet space details.
How does Cuddle Class LAA A321T pet cabin / kennel in F work?

Recently I flew AA 17 (JFK-SFO) in F. Two people flying, and though one had become displaced from the originally booked seat, both ultimately settled in their bulkhead Flagship suites. Each had a soft-sided carrier containing a cat.

They both required to place their soft-sided carrier into the "Cuddle Class" shelf space during taxi, takeoff and landing. The rest of the time, the passengers were allowed to keep the kennels in their seat area (generally under the foot shelf).

As can be seen in the illustration, the space for keeping the animal during taxi, takeoff and landing is in fact the lower portion of a closet with a ventilation grille in the door. There are actually two of these, immediately between bulkhead and first suites.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:01 pm

Thanks to both you and JIMBOLIGUY, for your quick and very helpful replies. (I couldn't remember "cuddle class" ) . I did in fact remember that the pet closets were up front, and have reserved a bulkhead seat.

Here is a more delicate question: this cat hasn't flown before, and I can't be sure she'll be entirely...quiet...for the duration. She'll be mildly sedated, but she doesn't love her carrier. I assume she'll settle down, but on the chance she's a yowler, would you suggest MCE over F? That's blunt, but I'm thinking of the crying baby analogue. Honest opinions much appreciated!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I hope you did look at the thread you were referred to.

Given the passengers I saw only kept their cats in the "cuddle cabins" during taxi, for takeoff or landing, I guess the question might be if during the several hours flying, can you keep your cat in the carrier calm?

If you can't, and I recommend you might "practice" by having your cat spend some time in the carrier you'll use so the cat is familiar with it and becomes certain you'll be there, you may have to consider the cat in an approved carrier in the cargo space. Given you'll be on the same flight, you'll be able to check the cat and receive him/her at arrival.

There are undoubtedly pages on the www where positive reinforcement training for carrier time is discussed.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:49 pm

I hope you did look at the thread you were referred to.

Given the passengers I saw only kept their cats in the "cuddle cabins" during taxi, for takeoff or landing, I guess the question might be if during the several hours flying, can you keep your cat in the carrier calm?

If you can't, and I recommend you might "practice" by having your cat spend some time in the carrier you'll use so the cat is familiar with it and becomes certain you'll be there, you may have to consider the cat in an approved carrier in the cargo space. Given you'll be on the same flight, you'll be able to check the cat and receive him/her at arrival.

There are undoubtedly pages on the www where positive reinforcement training for carrier time is discussed.
Thanks, JDIVER. I did read the thread, but was more thinking aloud as I typed about the possible noise issue. This is a last-minute arrangement, so while I have consulted with a vet about trial sedation and carrier-acclimation, we don't have as much time as I'd like to gauge her ability to get comfortable. I've never placed a cat in cargo, but you are right that this might be the wiser course. Thanks again for your (patient) input.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is SFO a more popular starting point to JFK than LAX?

Been keeping an eye out for any business or first redemptions for the 3rd Nov.

Yesterday, one F seat on the 11:16 flight out of SFO.
I should have booked it but dawdled and now there's nothing.

Had a look at LAX and around 5 flights with 2-4 F seats (morning and afternoon flights).

I assume LAX has more flights but even so, are seats generally more sought after ex-JFK?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by xenole
Is SFO a more popular starting point to JFK than LAX?

Been keeping an eye out for any business or first redemptions for the 3rd Nov.

Yesterday, one F seat on the 11:16 flight out of SFO.
I should have booked it but dawdled and now there's nothing.

Had a look at LAX and around 5 flights with 2-4 F seats (morning and afternoon flights).

I assume LAX has more flights but even so, are seats generally more sought after ex-JFK?
AA has way more business LAX/JFK than SFO/JFK. Lots of reasons, but my guess is primarily long standing contracts, it is a larger O&D route, and in SFO they have heavier competition from UA/VXAS/DL. In fact the last year has seen AA pulling back capacity in SFO/JFK.

In my experience Uogrades are easier to come by into/out of SFO than LAX and Z class opens up surprisingly frequently day of or day before on the SFO routes whenever F has lots of open seats.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Use Flagship Lounge for arrival & shower JFK <-> LAX, SFO A321T

Flying in J from SFO-JFK so have lounge access in SF for that. Can I use lounge in JFK after I land to use shower?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by anandrag
Flying in J from SFO-JFK so have lounge access in SF for that. Can I use lounge in JFK after I land to use shower?
Yes
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Yes
Great! Just show BP I assume?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by anandrag
Great! Just show BP I assume?
Yep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.