Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old May 29, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Planes seem pretty full although F doesn't seem to sell as well on SFO vs LAX. Trying to figure out if they just dropped a flight or if they put it on JFK-LAX instead. Wish AA were increasing SFO-JFK to help fill the void left when UA vacated JFK for EWR but it seems they've been doing just the opposite. Have DL or VX or B6 been increasing their frequency?
I guess that could be it. Maybe AA doesn't have as many corporate contract demanding for F at SFO.

DL is at 7, B6 is at 6 (with 5 on Tuesday and Wednesday), VX is at 5 (but another 4 at EWR).

Over at LAX,
AA is at 11 to 13, DL is at 10, B6 is at 9 or 10 and VX is at 6. Although B6 will be up to 11 and DL to 9 by the end of the year.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
So it seems like JFK-SFO is 5 daily flights for rest of the year. Has this always been the case or was it 6 last year? Is AA not doing well on this route? Just curious, since when I flew on this last year, it seemed to be at 6 daily flight and the J class had very few upgrades.
Interestingly enough on Saturday 10/14 they only have 3 flights JFK-SFO. Woof.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gusterific
That's been the case on Saturdays for the better part of the past year or so. Woof indeed.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusterific
prob because they need the equipment for JFK-BOS.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:18 pm

Can someone help me understand the same day flight change. I want to book revenue business or first. Can I switch on the day of travel to another flight as long as there is still a ticket being sold? Or is there some special fare that must exist for me to confirm into? The blogs mention E class, but all the examples discuss coach tickets or awards.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same day change or standby is free for business or first class tickets:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Don't know whether AA will permit same-day change to the last seat or whether there's an internal algorithm that mimics the "E" inventory method used for main cabin fares.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

missing pajamas

flew in F JFK/SFO last month on the 1735 departure - was really expecting/hoping for pajamas, so i could grab a couple of hours sleep more comfortably than in my day clothes - but no pajamas to be had despite what AA's website says

has anyone else actually got pajamas on this sector? am thinking of asking AA to mail me a pair :-)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
flew in F JFK/SFO last month on the 1735 departure - was really expecting/hoping for pajamas, so i could grab a couple of hours sleep more comfortably than in my day clothes - but no pajamas to be had despite what AA's website says

has anyone else actually got pajamas on this sector? am thinking of asking AA to mail me a pair :-)
You didn't get pajamas because they are not offered and also not advertised as part of Flagship TC. You should have brought sleep clothes (which many do) if you wanted a pajamas like experience. S. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/flagship-first-transcontinental.jsp
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
but no pajamas to be had despite what AA's website says
I can't seem to find that anywhere on the website, could you help me out? I didn't get pajamas on this flight before. I always just bring my gym shorts and workout shirt to change into anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I can't seem to find that anywhere on the website, could you help me out? I didn't get pajamas on this flight before. I always just bring my gym shorts and workout shirt to change into anyway.
That's because AA doesn't offer pajamas there nor did it ever do so.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
It's pyjamas
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

It's a bit of a short flight for changing clothes. Earliest you could change into PJ's would be upon boarding. If you wanted to change out of PJ's prior to landing, that takes another 15-20 minutes off the "pajama-time".

If you can, just dress comfortably for the entire adventure.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:47 pm

OK - sorry - i must have been reading the international F information - but i do change for short-ish flights, even if i change back once we're back on the ground in one of the airport rest rooms (so as not to use extra time in the lav just before landing, even in F)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
just a question out of curiosity, how many crew are there on a 321T?

2 in F, 2? in J, ...? in Y?

Gotta say I loved my t con flight and it was absolutely refreshing to have just 100 pax and not a warzone at the gate (/onboard) during boarding.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
just a question out of curiosity, how many crew are there on a 321T?

2 in F, 2? in J, ...? in Y?
Six. 2 each for F, J and Y.
G-CIVC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.