Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
More appetizer and dessert choices too, IIRC. But yes, this is about right for me too. When the service is up to scratch it's a great product. And there is a reason why no one ever compared Continental's seat to some F products, but did so with the nicer implementations of the Cirrus seats. A bogus comparison, to be sure, but it would never have come up with AA's A321 Biz seats.

Given the choice and budget I can't imagine ever picking biz over F on this plane. I appreciate it's no so for everybody, to me it's a no-brainer.
The biz seats are the standard for most airlines that have business on a single aisle. Some airlines use them for wide body even. However absent going 1/1 it's what fits on a single aisle aircraft.

I will say I see more celebs flying DL on the 767/A330 then on AA lately. (JFK-LAX/SFO) The A321T while nice with 1/1 F just can't compare to a wide body.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by jmr50
I fly both biz and first on this route and while I agree with the privacy angle, the menu and wine seems identical to me.
The food is definitely different in both cabins. I upgraded from J to F a week before my LAX-JFK flight a couple of months back and the menu options were completely different. Ironically I preferred the food I had on the JFK-LAX flight in J than the LAX-JFK coming back!

As previously noted it's champagne in F and not sparkling wine (Prosecco) in J.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
More appetizer and dessert choices too, IIRC. But yes, this is about right for me too. When the service is up to scratch it's a great product. And there is a reason why no one ever compared Continental's seat to some F products, but did so with the nicer implementations of the Cirrus seats. A bogus comparison, to be sure, but it would never have come up with AA's A321 Biz seats.

Given the choice and budget I can't imagine ever picking biz over F on this plane. I appreciate it's no so for everybody, to me it's a no-brainer.
I remember when they first launched the A321T there was absolutely an additional menu option, different menus, and a different amenity kit.

There's still absolutely a different amenity kit, but I don't think there's a catering distinction anymore. I'll have to grab menus from my next round-trip from both and see, I suppose, unless anyone has a current set to compare.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by Fraser
The food is definitely different in both cabins. I upgraded from J to F a week before my LAX-JFK flight a couple of months back and the menu options were completely different. Ironically I preferred the food I had on the JFK-LAX flight in J than the LAX-JFK coming back!

As previously noted it's champagne in F and not sparkling wine (Prosecco) in J.
The bubbly difference is true, although I've been successful in getting the F champagne served to me in J...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:13 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
I just noticed that my JFK-DCA flight (AA 2183) on Saturday August 19 has changed to a 321T, and as an EXP I was able to choose the "business" seats.

Hadn't seen this before on this routing, would be an interesting counterproduct to the Shuttle if it became a regular thing.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I just noticed that my JFK-DCA flight (AA 2183) on Saturday August 19 has changed to a 321T, and as an EXP I was able to choose the "business" seats.

Hadn't seen this before on this routing, would be an interesting counterproduct to the Shuttle if it became a regular thing.
As of last month all BOS/JFK flights were on the 321T. I finally got to ride on one a few weeks ago. Yes J is sold as Y on the flights. Its a shame such a short flight for such a nice plane. However, I think most business flyers will stick with the LGA shuttle.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have a confirmed F seat from SFO to JFK in a few weeks. Are there any international partner lounges that I have access to at SFO as a result?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have a confirmed F seat from SFO to JFK in a few weeks. Are there any international partner lounges that I have access to at SFO as a result?
Sadly no unless you want to go all the way to the international terminal and go through security to use the BA or CX lounges, both of whom might deny you entry. I'd just stick with the Admirals Club personally.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:41 am

Do business/first go on any substantial sales? I am trying to book for late October. Prices are now $649 for business. Is this typical price or can I expect any sort of sale?
Old May 21, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by hokiegl
Do business/first go on any substantial sales? I am trying to book for late October. Prices are now $649 for business. Is this typical price or can I expect any sort of sale?
that's about as cheap as it gets. I think there may have been a slight bit of $599 action to match B6 Mint but I haven't seen that for a long time.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
that seems the lowest it will go, especially now that B6's cheapest mint seats on JFK - LAX/SFO are 659.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Does the menu say that the dessert for F is a choice? I am a big fan of desserts and was wondering if the FA would be able to serve me a tray containing each option - was offered this in J on AA 193 LAX-HKG last year

(Dont mind an eyeroll as a price for that)
Old May 25, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ITs a choice, but if there are extras (after the FAs get theirs ) they'll usually bring you the other option.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:57 pm

So it seems like JFK-SFO is 5 daily flights for rest of the year. Has this always been the case or was it 6 last year? Is AA not doing well on this route? Just curious, since when I flew on this last year, it seemed to be at 6 daily flight and the J class had very few upgrades.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by tphuang
So it seems like JFK-SFO is 5 daily flights for rest of the year. Has this always been the case or was it 6 last year? Is AA not doing well on this route? Just curious, since when I flew on this last year, it seemed to be at 6 daily flight and the J class had very few upgrades.
Planes seem pretty full although F doesn't seem to sell as well on SFO vs LAX. Trying to figure out if they just dropped a flight or if they put it on JFK-LAX instead. Wish AA were increasing SFO-JFK to help fill the void left when UA vacated JFK for EWR but it seems they've been doing just the opposite. Have DL or VX or B6 been increasing their frequency?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.