Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
I used to fly JFK-LAX every few weeks or so and really came to like these planes for all the reasons mentioned – fast boarding, schedule frequency, good experience in all classes. While they're getting a bit tired they will be missed.

Incidentally, after putting my old flights into Flighty last year, I found that I'd already flown most (maybe 13 or so?) of the A321T frames. Since I was close I decided I ought to try to fly all of them. Picked up the last two on a RT a couple weeks ago, so I'm now 17 for 17.
dw, VSLover, Zacnlinc and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:16 pm

Got it, thanks guys! Does anyone have a sense of how much the cash upgrade offer from Y to J is? I am going to be flying one of the lowest demand frequencies / days of week, so I expect the upgrade to be available (I see 7 J and 7 F available on the day of for the same flight / day of week close in), but the cash fare for J is actually fairly reasonable as well for a lie flat, so I'm wondering whether I should just buy J to begin with or if Y + cash upgrade will be cheaper
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
Got it, thanks guys! Does anyone have a sense of how much the cash upgrade offer from Y to J is? I am going to be flying one of the lowest demand frequencies / days of week, so I expect the upgrade to be available (I see 7 J and 7 F available on the day of for the same flight / day of week close in), but the cash fare for J is actually fairly reasonable as well for a lie flat, so I'm wondering whether I should just buy J to begin with or if Y + cash upgrade will be cheaper
I've seen the Y to J upgrade price <$300 to/from SFO at times. The upgrade price is normally cheaper than the fare delta from Y to J, although no LPs using that method.
SuperEWR likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I've seen the Y to J upgrade price <$300 to/from SFO at times. The upgrade price is normally cheaper than the fare delta from Y to J, although no LPs using that method.
Super helpful, the fare difference for the flight I'm looking at is ~$600, so it sounds like the move is Y + upgrade. I don't mind the lack of LPs, I'm a primarily UA flyer as I'm based out of SFO, but UA is charging a crazy premium on the day I'm looking at and also doesn't have a late enough departure, so I have to take the AA flight (or a Jetblue flight but my understanding is that Mint upgrades are hard to come by) that day
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Same, on JFK-LAX where the J cabin has been fairly open, Ive seen the upgrade price as low as roughly $200, on flights Ive still scored a complimentary elite upgrade, and $300 on flights where I did not.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I have seen it as low as $212 from Y to J
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by dw
Same, on JFK-LAX where the J cabin has been fairly open, Ive seen the upgrade price as low as roughly $200, on flights Ive still scored a complimentary elite upgrade, and $300 on flights where I did not.
Originally Posted by fly747first
I have seen it as low as $212 from Y to J
Thanks all, I was offered and accepted a Y to J upgrade for $291 on a base Y fare of $170 for for a total of $461 vs a J fare of ~$715 IIRC. Y to F was also available for $581, so ~$750 all-in vs an F fare of ~$1200-$1250.

Edit: figured this was worth mentioning as well, but AA J was already by far the lowest lie flat fare on the route, so paying ~2/3 of the J fare is pretty incredible IMO. I would have normally flown UA and UA's PE fare for the last flight on the same day, which still wasn't late enough for me, was over $700 as well, so to go from a larger recliner to a lie flat at 2/3 the cost is probably the best value in transcon flying available
dw, Zacnlinc and econ like this.

Last edited by SuperEWR; Jan 23, 2024 at 3:09 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The state of repair on the A321Ts these days is really sad.
This is likely no surprise to frequent flyers, but for infrequent A321T flyers, be warned.

My last 3 trips
Y: PTV inop. The middle seat was blocked because the headrest fell off. I suppose that was a good thing for me.
J: PTV inop for me and seatmate. Power outlet won’t hold a US plug.
Y: Power outlet inop. Someone moved into the adjacent middle seat because their PTV was inop (and chose to trade a window for a middle with working TV.)

It’s absolutely ridiculous. If United had their JFK transcons still operating, I would’ve switched over by now. Partner redemptions have me holding onto AA by a very thin thread.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:59 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
The state of repair on the A321Ts these days is really sad.
This is likely no surprise to frequent flyers, but for infrequent A321T flyers, be warned.
Yeah sounds about right. My last two trips on the A321T:

1. In F recently my IFE was not working. The IFE at any seat on these can actually be reset by the passengers (a FA taught me years ago), and resetting it didnt help so I gave up. Didnt even mention it to the FA because I knew there was nothing she could do.
2. In another recent flight in J well, the IFE was broken for the whole plane, so theres that. The FAs just told people they could steam to their personal devices.

In contrast, in D1 on BOS-LAX recently, the IFE was not working for four of the seats. Without anyone even mentioning it to the FA, he tried to reset it twice, and when it didnt work, he proactively submitted for comp via SkyMiles for each passenger.

Rasu + AA leadership team thinks that schedule is the product, and that might be fine for Y, but then each quarter when the earnings come out, AAs margin is close to 50% of DLs
fly747first and lrdpenn like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.