Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Regardless of the order in which they take orders, row 1 gets served first, so I prefer row 1. (There's also a little space in front of you to set items down... they used to put the snack baskets there sometimes though, but I doubt they do that these days.)
Don’t know if they are leaving snack baskets out in F recently, but they did have a snack basket sitting on the shelf in front of 6A/6C in J on my JFK-SFO flight last month.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Don’t know if they are leaving snack baskets out in F recently, but they did have a snack basket sitting on the shelf in front of 6A/6C in J on my JFK-SFO flight last month.
They were also present in J on my LAX-JFK flight last Friday.

James
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Booked in business on an A321T in a few weeks for a late night jfk-sfo flight. I’m an aisle guy (small bladder for the win!) but have heard the aisle can be less private and I’m hoping to sleep, which leads to my question - is it possible to, from a window, step over your seat mate wether upright or lie flat to get up for the bathroom? Or should I just go aisle?

please let me know what you think!
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whitf00t
Booked in business on an A321T in a few weeks for a late night jfk-sfo flight. I’m an aisle guy (small bladder for the win!) but have heard the aisle can be less private and I’m hoping to sleep, which leads to my question - is it possible to, from a window, step over your seat mate wether upright or lie flat to get up for the bathroom? Or should I just go aisle?

please let me know what you think!
you can but the aisle is easiest and in my experience the window seat person rarely steps over me or does so with great skill. i dont find the aisle less private at all as the aisle is especially wide in the cabin. if you want more privacy choose an aisle seat in row 10 or 9 as im rarely ever bothered back there!
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
End of an era.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I'll have to take the final A321T flight - I will miss them!!

The replacement timing is awkward. 2024 makes me think AA will not invest in the A321T at all anymore. But that is 1-2 years away and the aircraft are getting very tired in J, especially the sagging seat cushions.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Flying LAX-JFK.
All main cabin extra seats free on A321T.

I'm a window guy, could have had the nice space in tow 11, but went with 13A
Question: To what extent does row 11 not have a window. I mean, is there completely no window view at all, or do I still get to share half a window with row 12 if I tilt my head a bit? I reckon on average there are 1.5 windows per row in MCE anyway. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I just booked PHX/JFK for next month and the seat map is showing the 321T configuration. I know this a/c configuration is going away but is AA putting this a/c on that route temporarily for winter? Or possibly the seat map isn't correct.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by EXP100
I just booked PHX/JFK for next month and the seat map is showing the 321T configuration. I know this a/c configuration is going away but is AA putting this a/c on that route temporarily for winter? Or possibly the seat map isn't correct.
I believe they’re running them for the Super Bowl. I want to say there’s coverage on another thread or elsewhere, but the routes may not be getting the full flagship treatment, including Chelsea lounge access. That said, you should definitely confirm / check how they are marketing it at flight selection.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I believe they’re running them for the Super Bowl. I want to say there’s coverage on another thread or elsewhere, but the routes may not be getting the full flagship treatment, including Chelsea lounge access. That said, you should definitely confirm / check how they are marketing it at flight selection.
Shows it as 321 Sharklets when booking but the seatmap shows 321T. It look likes J will be also sold as domestic F. Right now seats are wide open and hoping it stays that way.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:29 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It's the beginning of the end of an era. The first A321T will be going into mods soon for Oasis reconfiguration-- just the single one for now, as a prototype. Don't believe the first A321XLR delivery is scheduled until the end of 2024, so it'll probably be close to late 2025 before there are enough A321T replacements to officially retire the configuration.

https://x.com/xJonNYC/status/1747437161412980750?s=20
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I honestly don't understand why people are upset about this. AA has destroyed F soft-product wise and the new A321s that will replace the current 321Ts will have doors and nicer suites in J; looks much better hard-product wise than the current F.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:49 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
What I will miss is the exceptionally low density of these planes-- quick boarding and deplaning, and rarely any need to gate check carry ons. Presumably some JFK-LAX rotations will end up seeing widebodies (like UA out of EWR), which in itself isn't a bad thing, but there was always something special about the intimate feel of the A321T, even in Y.

I also fully expect for BOS-LAX to revert to standard domestic F equipment once the A321T fleet is reconfigured.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by dw
What I will miss is the exceptionally low density of these planes-- quick boarding and deplaning, and rarely any need to gate check carry ons. ... but there was always something special about the intimate feel of the A321T, even in Y.
This. With 1/2 the Y cabin being MCE it was a great ride, even in Y.
dw and Adelphos like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dw
What I will miss is the exceptionally low density of these planes-- quick boarding and deplaning, and rarely any need to gate check carry ons. Presumably some JFK-LAX rotations will end up seeing widebodies (like UA out of EWR), which in itself isn't a bad thing, but there was always something special about the intimate feel of the A321T, even in Y.

I also fully expect for BOS-LAX to revert to standard domestic F equipment once the A321T fleet is reconfigured.
YES, especially for Y. It's like a whole production boarding those UA 777s, and carry on baggage gets tight. The widebodies with the small center bins are not built for US-domestic ops where most are bringing a suitcase. The A321T boards in basically 15mins and I've never seen a need to check bags.
Adelphos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.