Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sriirvine
Hello, we had award tix on JFK->LAX in Y this summer on the Alaska 32S, but due to a schedule change, we were able to switch our tickets to the 321T. Pretty happy about that, but our reservation doesn't have any seat assignments and the only seats available were MCE that required payment. All of the main cabin seats are marked as "Unavailable". Is this normal? If so, we can only get seat assignments when we check in?

Also, if J was available later, how much would an upgrade cost in miles? It looks like the original 32S flight costs 12.5K, but the 321T Y costs 30K due to non-saver availability. If saver J is available, it would be 32.5K, but since we really only paid 12.5K, I'm assuming it would be another 20K for the J award?

Thanks.
Given that half the Y cabin on the A321T is MCE (six rows), it is possible that all the remaining six rows of non-MCE have already been chosen or blocked for elites--AA frequently blocks non-MCE window and aisle seats on this aircraft for elites, leaving only the middle, non-MCE seats (all of 12 seats) for free selection by non-elites. If you don't pay for an MCE seat, you will get seat assignments when you check in.

And yes, it would be 20k extra miles for the J award if U space opens up (very unlikely).
Old May 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RafKa
Anyone have thoughts on seats 11C/D in MCE? I booked myself/colleague on those JFK-SFO, and having read reviews on seatguru I'm now concerned about those seats being "too narrow" due to tray table and other armrest-related issues. We're both about 5ft9" so are we better off just taking regular MCE seats?

The related thread indicated in the wiki (Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated) seems to not exist
I also can't seem to find the "Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)" thread indicated in the Wiki. Where can I find information about the best MCE seats on the A32T?
Old May 17, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dciolli
I also can't seem to find the "Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)" thread indicated in the Wiki. Where can I find information about the best MCE seats on the A32T?
Oddly, the link to that thread seems to direct me a thread about EU compensation. So not sure what's up with that.

Row 11 is nice if you want the unlimited legroom. However, I actually don't like Row 11, since the immovable armrests make the seats in that row narrower. I usually, if I end up in the back, pick an aisle seat in Row 12 or 13.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Oddly, the link to that thread seems to direct me a thread about EU compensation. So not sure what's up with that.

Row 11 is nice if you want the unlimited legroom. However, I actually don't like Row 11, since the immovable armrests make the seats in that row narrower. I usually, if I end up in the back, pick an aisle seat in Row 12 or 13.
Wait. There are rows behind row 5?
Old May 17, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Not for FTers
Old May 17, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Another reason I'm not a fan of Row 11: because of the flimsy curtains, I am reminded throughout the flight that I am not seated in Rows 110.
dciolli likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yea, I've only ever flown in J or F on the 32T. Unfortunately, this is an unexpected trip to NYC due to a death in the family. No Z, U, or C availability and paying J prices for two people is too expensive. I'm tracking loads on EF to see what flight will give us the best chance of being upgraded, but preparing to spend the flight in Y.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Best F transcon ground product

Hi,

Recently I managed to experience the new Flagship First product Transcon between JFK-LAX and I must say that AA really did a great job in making this product top notch from the ground service point of view. As someone without Pre-TSA, being brought to the front of the line at JFK is really very much appreciated. In the lounge the attention and level of service provided in the First Dining area is really top notch in all areas. I really like it that the service they aim for at least to me is "smart-casual", not over doing it and yet not being sloppy about it.
Sadly this is where it ends, as after getting on board, the service at least on my flight was far from anything on the ground.
The lead FA serving the cabin really did not feel like she wanted to be there with even what I would consider lackluster service. I had really expected some real change, but sadly, I would say it was night and day differences between ground and inflight. Such a pity.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; May 23, 2018 at 11:03 am Reason: typo
Old May 23, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
It would be helpful to get greater specificity on your in flight experience. Ive flown Flagship First TC many tImes and have always been quite satisfied and my standards are high.

Last edited by jspira; May 23, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old May 23, 2018, 11:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jspira
Ir would be helpful to get greater specificity on your in flight experience. Ive flown Flagship First TC many tImes and have always been quite satisfied and my standards are high.

- the way when the Bose headsets were being handed out, it was like some sales on the street, walking with the headset and just basically asking without going to each passenger individually, asking alound "Bose headsets?" At that time, I just came onboard and was storing my bags overhead and she did see that I just boarded and she was going back again towards the galley and just ignored me. Had to go after her towards the galley to get one.
- PDB - Sparking and Champagne were the only available option, I had wanted Coke, but was told sorry I will have to wait until take off (at this time boarding was ending, so not much foot traffic).
- Dinner - since I was still full from the dining, I had wanted to eat later into the flight, which I did request, but was told no it was not possible (meanwhile, on my flight the next day to HNL, when I made the same request I was well accommodated and even warned that the dish may be slightly drier). I understand that this is not standard service, but I would have expected some exception.
- when I did wake up later with about 2.5 hours left in flight, no one bothered to check if I wanted anything. They were all just chatting in the galley. Even when I was going to the toilet, they did not bother to ask if I had wanted anything (clearly they knew I just woke up), and asked on my way back towards my seat for a drink. Basically here, zero service was offered (no walks or even when she walked passed the different seats towards the business galley, did not bother to ask anyone if they needed anything).

All in all, I had expected some match to the ground service (slightly more refined, attentive, etc), but onboard, it seems that the only main differences between business and First is the seat and maybe the type of wines/champagne offered.

Seems that maybe I lucked out (which should not be the case that you had to depend on luck).

Cheers!
Old May 23, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I find this surprising. Ive never had a crew member refuse my polite request for a late dinner provided I told hIm before the meal was in the oven. Flagship First should be individualized and I just a few weeks ago had a ginger ale as PDB. AA clearly needs to work on consistency issues.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by babaghanoush85
If we fly coach then we save 75,000 avios to be used for other trips.
You can say that about any mileage redemption.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
I find this surprising. Ive never had a crew member refuse my polite request for a late dinner provided I told hIm before the meal was in the oven. Flagship First should be individualized and I just a few weeks ago had a ginger ale as PDB. AA clearly needs to work on consistency issues.
It's rather difficult to "work on consistency issues" when there are no rewards for properly performing your job, and no negative consequences for failing to perform your job. The result? The passenger receives a service experience which is heavily influenced by "the mood" of today's crew.

At American Airlines, management consistently exhibits an unwillingness to effectively motivate and incentivize its employees. Hence, your service experience in the air is a crAAp shoot, just like your chances of getting the business-class seat design that you prefer on certain AA wide-body aircraft.
JDiver and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jcatman
It's rather difficult to "work on consistency issues" when there are no rewards for properly performing your job, and no negative consequences for failing to perform your job. The result? The passenger receives a service experience which is heavily influenced by "the mood" of today's crew.

At American Airlines, management consistently exhibits an unwillingness to effectively motivate and incentivize its employees. Hence, your service experience in the air is a crAAp shoot, just like your chances of getting the business-class seat design that you prefer on certain AA wide-body aircraft.
The old saying is “corporate culture doesn’t trickle up from the mail room”. In the absence of leadership committed to the customer experience and concomitant dedication of resources to assure customer service is a priority (including training, rewards and compensation, supervision and corrective action, etc.), employees are left to interpret their own personal values, rules that may not be enforced and a lack of exemplary behavior by leaders.

While there are excellent employees, there are also burnt out, uninvolved and uncaring employees. One longhaul Flagship First flight can be brilliant, the next one entirely lackluster with cabin crew totally resistant to anything resembling caring, attentive service, as frequently reported here and in the blogs so many here follow.

Ain’t gonna change anytime soon, I’m afraid. Management seems more focused on the shareholder, short term performance and self interest. In my opinion (as a retired Organizational Development and training consultant who has worked with Fortune 500 corporations and well-known agencies to change corporate cultures successfully), of course.

/rant off - and that’s possibly another thread

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Can anyone with AA experience tell me what kind of seats the flight ok aug 17 LAX-HNL AA2205 in the evening will have. It says 321 sharklets and it appears from what I search to be just a recliner but when I put that flight into seatguru it's showing me the 32B which has lie flat, so just wondering if anyone knew for sure man trying to decide my route and if to try to waste upgrade miles and cash and then be disappointed when it's not lie flat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.