Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat

My JFK-MIA flight had an emergency landing at RDU airport. I was traveling on a paid first class ticket. I was rebooked to the next RDU-MIA scheduled flight but in ecomony class as first was sold out.
AA already offered miles compensation because of emergency landing.
Shall I ask for additional compensation because of downgrade? What to expect?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Well, one of the factors is the number of miles you were offered. Of course, nothing prevented you from declining the proffered flight and waiting until there was one with an available F seat. What type of emergency was it? Assuming that it was beyond AA's control, I think that AA's resolution was probably reasonable.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ben63
My JFK-MIA flight had an emergency landing at RDU airport. I was traveling on a paid first class ticket. I was rebooked to the next RDU-MIA scheduled flight but in ecomony class as first was sold out.
AA already offered miles compensation because of emergency landing.
Shall I ask for additional compensation because of downgrade? What to expect?
Yes.
You paid for First and didn't get First, at least all the way. I would think that some fare differential credit would be due.
How many miles did they offer for the diversion and have you accepted?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

It was due to a technical problem (AA1769 on 24th April). Emergency vehicles and staff was waiting the plane but nothing strange happened... We had to leave the plane and was told that we can board after the staff solved the problem. After 3-4 hours we could go back to the plane to take our belongings. And AA sent a replacement plain for us. But as this schedule was too late for me regarding my last connecting flight from MIA on that day, I asked the ground staff to rebook me to the scheduled RDU-MIA flight. It was done but to economy class and they couldn't issue the ticket for my connecting flight as the connection time was too short (illegal connection in the system)... finally I made the connection but I had to discuss it at the departure gate as they canceled this leg at rebooking... so it was a nightmare (economy class, stress) but I reached my final destination
25K miles was offered because of emergency landing...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25K sounds like a pretty reasonable, indeed generous offer for the diversion.
But I would still pursue a downgrade credit.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two entirely separate issues:

1. No compensation is due. The 25K miles is simply a CS gesture to make customers feel better. But, needless to say, there's nothing due when the company may have saved your life.

2. The DG was voluntary. OP asked for it. Nonetheless, he was on a paid F ticket, so it's fully refundable and he is simply due a credit for the difference between the F and Y fare (it's all spelled out in the COC how it's calculated). A call to AA will result in the refund to the original form of payment being issued.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
... he was on a paid F ticket, so it's fully refundable
Not necessarily. Not all AA First tickets are refundable... depends on the fare class OP booked.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"...paid first class fare..." doesn't really tell us much. Some "paid first class fares" require one wait for the next available seat in the same fare class to continue in F (but it might be later or even a day or two later), or take a downgrade to whatever is available to fly now, and there is no compensation because it is clearly stated in the detailed fare rules.

What did your detailed fare rules stipulate?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by JDiver
"...paid first class fare..." doesn't really tell us much. Some "paid first class fares" require one wait for the next available seat in the same fare class to continue in F (but it might be later or even a day or two later), or take a downgrade to whatever is available to fly now, and there is no compensation because it is clearly stated in the detailed fare rules.

What did your detailed fare rules stipulate?
If you purchased 1st Class and didn't get first class I do not understand why you would not get a credit for the difference.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This isn't about an involuntary downgrade, it's about OP asking for a reroute, it being granted and he accepting it in steerage. His choice. OP had the option of waiting for his delayed flight (where he had a confirmed seat in F), being rerouted in the next itinerary available in F or accepting a better reroute in Y.

As I noted, if OP was truly on a paid F ticket as opposed to "First Class" (which could be a multitude of discounted buckets, the change would be made and the fare difference refunded (F to Y).
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:36 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
not due emergency landings but I had 2 downgrades in 2011.

one with a LAN ticket flying AA on a 737 3 hours flight. Paid I class (reservation system problem) I flew coach as I had no choice due to connecting flight.

the second one, equipment change CR7 to ER4 I was in paid I class, flew coach.

I requested a $$ credit for both flights and after a year and a half of writing to customer service they said ticketing dept says I'm not eligible for $$ credit. and I got no miles either.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Airlines generally on the hook for costs associated with non-weather/ATC delays or cancels which means your missed connection in MIA probably would have resulted in a covered hotel there and kept your original routing intact. Seems the issues here are both the 'type' of first class fare bought AND the issue of requested reroute v involuntary one originally offered: the more variables in equation the more options there are for the airlines to say, "sorry" and the second variable here is gonna be the booger.

I'm not sure I buy the rhetoric, however, that "the Company may have saved your life." Diversions occur all the time and very rarely are due to life-threatening issues.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reply. I will write to AA and see what they answer. I don't expect too much as I don't have OW status yet.
I still feel lucky with this downgrade as other passengers on the same connection didn't managed to catch my RDU-MIA flight and had to spend the evening in MIA...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Regarding why I didn't wait for the next flight with First availability: by waiting I would miss my last connecting flight and arrive approximately one day later than scheduled. Different connecting airport wasn't an option as there wasn't any other solution for that day.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by wpj
not due emergency landings but I had 2 downgrades in 2011.

one with a LAN ticket flying AA on a 737 3 hours flight. Paid I class (reservation system problem) I flew coach as I had no choice due to connecting flight.

the second one, equipment change CR7 to ER4 I was in paid I class, flew coach.

I requested a $$ credit for both flights and after a year and a half of writing to customer service they said ticketing dept says I'm not eligible for $$ credit. and I got no miles either.
Did you take the issue up with your credit card company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.