Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
I have received so many favors from AA in terms of waived fees, changed flights, ORC, refunds for thing, etc. that I'm not inclined to ask for compensation for every minor thing that happens. I don't disagree that we all the the right to do so, but I feel that I've been given more than a fair shake, and am happy to let some things slide. Even from a purely mercenary point of view, I would think that the favors would stop if I demanded compensation for everything. They do have access to that information.

YMMV

Cheers.
Brp - Completely agree with you. I've asked for things and received and been given things without asking over the years. If it was an auto-upgrade, I'd let it slide. If I/my firm has paid for it I would ask for some remuneration. I didn't see the OP respond yet so not sure what his fare code was. Things happen and I've felt AA (usually) wants and does try and make people whole.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That is a 75L with 16 NGBC seats. Much better choice than a domestic 757 if a 757 has to substitute for a 767 on the transcons.
Better for the lucky 16 people who get to stay in the front cabin, and much worse for the other 24 that get put in Y or booked on to other routings.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by sm82
Brp - Completely agree with you. I've asked for things and received and been given things without asking over the years. If it was an auto-upgrade, I'd let it slide. If I/my firm has paid for it I would ask for some remuneration. I didn't see the OP respond yet so not sure what his fare code was. Things happen and I've felt AA (usually) wants and does try and make people whole.
I also have received favors over the years. I was booked on AA85 (the one JFK-SFO that regularly operates as a 763) on July 6, when OZ 214 crashed. It was canceled literally two hours after I paid $75 + miles to upgrade to the last A seat as my sticker upgrade was looking doubtful. I did get the miles back but not the $75 yet. It sort of annoys me, as I ended up getting redirected to SJC on B6 and had a terrible seat. Yet I do keep in mind I got home the same day and many others were far less fortunate. I asked for a refund, but if I never get it I'll probably let it go.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:44 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:34 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angatol
Received a reply from AA. Apparently an AA J->Y transcon downgrade is worth 8000 miles. Funnily enough I suspect that a Y-J JFK-SFO upgrade costs more than 8000 miles...
You suspect incorrectly. An upgrade from full fare economy ( Y or B class ) to business clas is 5000 miles ( see http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp )
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:08 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:52 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Received a reply from AA. Apparently an AA J->Y transcon downgrade is worth 8000 miles. Funnily enough I suspect that a Y-J JFK-SFO upgrade costs more than 8000 miles...
Wait, you were on a paid J fare?

They may want to offer you 8000 miles for your troubles PLUS the cash difference between the two cabins.

Do the EU rules apply for this flight? (Perhaps if it was a ticket sold in the EU as part of a routing that includes the EU?) I am not that familiar with the EU rules.

I really like how airlines seem to treat their service as a 'best effort' process: you buy an F ticket, if they cannot manage to get you there in F, they'll put you in Y and toss you some miles and that's it.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
They may want to offer you 8000 miles for your troubles PLUS the cash difference between the two cabins.
On a Europe-US r/t journey , a 1 sector downgrade will likely have no fare difference

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Do the EU rules apply for this flight? (Perhaps if it was a ticket sold in the EU as part of a routing that includes the EU?) I am not that familiar with the EU rules.
No
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:35 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Yes.

As far as I can see, AA can do anything they want to me and I have no recourse. Unless it's bound under EU261 which doesn't apply here. I also received a reply from BA basically saying sorry, we'll forward your complaint to AA.
Actually if you bought your ticket on a credit card, dispute the charge. You paid for a service and it was not delivered as agreed to. The credit card company will then deal with AA. Trust me, you'll get farther, faster doing that than fighting with the airline.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:21 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:38 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I bought the ticket from BA and AA177 was ticketed with a BA code, however as Dave Noble says, a multi-sector J fare with one sector in Y would price the same as with that sector in J, so going the credit card route doesn't seem like it would really solve anything.
Not necessarily, it depends on how your ticket was constructed. If it was priced using a filed fare LHR-SFO then yes, but if it was constructed as a LHR-JFK + JFK-SFO fare, then no, that's incorrect. Most systems are smart enough to "low price" the itinerary in SABRE (or whichever GDS) and will look at both filed fares for the O&D as well as sum of locals for all segments.

Case in point, I just purchased a flight DFW-LAX-LAS-DFW. I bought it as a normal roundtrip and but if you look at the individual legs and fare basis codes, all 3 segments are different fare basis codes, with different restrictions, AP requirements, etc. I actually had a connection DFW-ORD-XXX-ORD-DFW and all 4 legs were different fare basis codes.

You can force this method on AA by using the multi-city search option. I've on several occasions pushed past filed O&D fares and used sum of locals saving hundreds of dollars.

Oh, and woot... 200 posts in 7 years... that's gotta be some type of record

Last edited by imapilotaz; Aug 23, 2013 at 9:04 am Reason: Noticed i was at 200 posts... woot!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:18 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:51 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Actually if you bought your ticket on a credit card, dispute the charge. You paid for a service and it was not delivered as agreed to. The credit card company will then deal with AA. Trust me, you'll get farther, faster doing that than fighting with the airline.
Bingo

I bought the ticket from BA and AA177 was ticketed with a BA code, however as Dave Noble says, a multi-sector J fare with one sector in Y would price the same as with that sector in J, so going the credit card route doesn't seem like it would really solve anything.
Uh, why do you think you need to 'play fair' and follow their rules?!? It is astionishing that folks seem to think one needs to reprice the fare as the airline wants to.

(You order a 5 course meal at french laundry for $270. They fail to deliver the main. At the end, they say "we've determined that the 4 course you did eat priced out to $268, so here is $2". Fair?)

I'd price a single segment fare in first (F), then in coach (Y), charge back the difference and send the documents to the credit card company. "Here is what I am disputing and here is why". If one needs a moral rationale, BA/AA broke the contract and failed to give you what was sold, for reasons within their control.

Let the airline dispute your claim and proivide their own rationale as to what THEY believe is owed or not. You present your claim- they present their rebuttal...

The mistake that is made, it that people want to speak to the airline and come to an agreement...they keep calling, wirting... wasting their time...and BA/AA wont do this. People get so twisted up ...its simple "I bought a ticket from BA; BA and their agent AA failed to provide the services I purchased; I am claiming $500 in compensation; they can agree or provide an alternative settlement. Let me know."

So F-em... tell the credit card company to be the arbiter.

A

PS I run all my travel and most expenses through AMEX, ove 250k a year. They kick ask on my behalf. I dont chargeback stupid stuff, like $1.21....but things that I feel Ive been wronged and the merchant isnt being responsive.

PPS In the US, merchants have X days to respond. Given many airlines are such idiots with this stuff, often times they just dont respond and you win by default.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.