Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:29 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:43 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:41 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by angatol
I was downgraded from business to coach on a BA codeshare AA177 JFK-SFO last night due to an equipment swap from a 767 to a 757. Ticket was paid J BA fare. Can anyone suggest how I might proceed in requesting some compensation, and what I might get? Thanks.
Was that a 767-200 or a 767-300 ?

Assume you are now in First Class on the 757 so in fact you have been upgraded..so why expect compensation. If your flight is now a 75L in First Class then thats a great improvement against a Geriatric 767-200 in Business Class.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:46 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:08 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:17 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I can't remember what it was supposed to have been. It was a three class 767 and I was downgraded to Y, not "upgraded" to F.
3 Class aircraft are 767-200. 2 Class are 767-300

If you are on a BA TATL ticket then you are entitled to First Class Cabin on the US Domestic sector on 2 Class aircraft. Have you enquired if there is any First Class space still available. Or checked on aa.com.

Have you looked at changing to another flight with space in something other than Coach/Economy.

Transcon in Coach/Economy on AA is not a pleasant experience. Even with compensation.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:23 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:50 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UncleDude
If you are on a BA TATL ticket then you are entitled to First Class Cabin on the US Domestic sector on 2 Class aircraft. Have you enquired if there is any First Class space still available
Hi, thanks for the reply. It was supposed to be a 767-200 but the pilot said there were maintenance issues and they had to substitute the aircraft. The flight was yesterday. There were 40+ F+J pax to fit into 16 F seats, and I didn't make the cut.
Was it really 16 F seats 75L international config or 22 or 24 seat domestic configuration? If 16, that's the first time I've heard or saw a 75L subbed on JFK/LAX-SFO.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:45 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:19 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure it was 16 F seats. According to flightstats, tail number was N191AN.
That is a 75L with 16 NGBC seats. Much better choice than a domestic 757 if a 757 has to substitute for a 767 on the transcons.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Various
Pretty sure it was 16 F seats. According to flightstats, tail number was N191AN.
The flight in question is AA 177. It flew back as AA18 to JFK this morning.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do agree that this is the case in general, however the ( strange imo ) way the fare rules are written, rather than state that the 1st class fare is valid on those with 2 class or that it is valid on 3 class flights, the rules simply specify the specifc flight numbers that the fare applies to
That is a technicality based on the available machine-readable fare rules. There's no field for "2-class" or "3-class" aircraft in the way GDSs apply fare rules because it's generally not needed -- there's only a handful of airlines that have this problem, given that nowhere else in the world is a short/medium haul business class mis-sold as "first".
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was downgraded from business to coach on a BA codeshare AA177 JFK-SFO last night due to an equipment swap from a 767 to a 757. Ticket was paid J BA fare. Can anyone suggest how I might proceed in requesting some compensation, and what I might get? Thanks.
Since it was a BA-sold flight (BA*/AA), BA, who marketed/sold you the flight, is the party that owes you money. It's for them to sort it out with the operating carrier, who operated the flight on their behalf.

You may want to search the BA forum for details of where/how to send copies (not originals) of your eticket and of your downgraded boarding pass along with a brief factual explanation of the INVOLUNTARY downgrade and a request for refund. For extra safety to ensure you'll get a response you might want to use the DOT form instead. Plus you might want to request a manual adjustment for the class of service bonus from whatever FF program you credited that segment to.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:15 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:55 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:20 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:51 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Thanks for that. I was going to wait for the flight to post to BAEC before contacting BA. This is the third time I've had IRROPS on AA metal in the last year (AA->DL+F-Y downgrade, AA->DL same class and this one), but I've just let the others slide.
IMHO, I would not let anything like that go. If you are ever involuntarily anything, ask for compensation. If your flight goes mech, ask for compensation. I hate how airlines are expected to be different than the rest of society. If you dont get what you paid for, then you have every right to ask for compensation.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
IMHO, I would not let anything like that go. If you are ever involuntarily anything, ask for compensation. If your flight goes mech, ask for compensation. I hate how airlines are expected to be different than the rest of society. If you dont get what you paid for, then you have every right to ask for compensation.
I have received so many favors from AA in terms of waived fees, changed flights, ORC, refunds for thing, etc. that I'm not inclined to ask for compensation for every minor thing that happens. I don't disagree that we all the the right to do so, but I feel that I've been given more than a fair shake, and am happy to let some things slide. Even from a purely mercenary point of view, I would think that the favors would stop if I demanded compensation for everything. They do have access to that information.

YMMV

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.