Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please feel free to update with the latest information; previous Wiki content was out of date.
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Assuming the Flagship First check ins are open by the time I fly (next Feb) I'd just like to check my logic is correct:

My status is BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald) so I can use the Flagship First Check-ins at JFK for my 3 class transcon to LA in J, and at LAX for my flight to LAS the next day.

But I cannot take a guest (No status), even on the same PNR for those same flights.

Correct?. If so, what are the best check in options at JFK and LAX when I'm flying with a friend with no status?.

Thanks!
Same PNR, I have not had a problem having them check the +1 in. (But, I don't do it very often and haven't in a few years.)
SpurMan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Sounds right (but they might let your guest into FFCI). To be safe, you can use the priority check-in (for business/domestic first). You'll see it next to the regular check-in desks.
I think they are generally not hung up on the companion thing, as long as you don't have a party of 8 or something. That is, however, assuming that they agree that you are even eligible, which at LAX is not a guarantee. I once had the door person at Flagship First Check-in at LAX tell me that traveling F LAX-HKG was not eligible for FF Check-In, and that it was only for Concierge Key.

Honestly, it might make sense to just go to the premium check-in at LAX first if the lines aren't long. They usually aren't. There isn't much special about FF Check-in, other than they will take you to the front of the security line if it is long.
SpurMan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think they are generally not hung up on the companion thing, as long as you don't have a party of 8 or something. That is, however, assuming that they agree that you are even eligible, which at LAX is not a guarantee. I once had the door person at Flagship First Check-in at LAX tell me that traveling F LAX-HKG was not eligible for FF Check-In, and that it was only for Concierge Key.

Honestly, it might make sense to just go to the premium check-in at LAX first if the lines aren't long. They usually aren't. There isn't much special about FF Check-in, other than they will take you to the front of the security line if it is long.
Of all the FF Checkin's I have used, LAX is the worst.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes, it seems like it's always a battle to use FFCI regardless of how many ways one is qualified to use it. I have difficulty understanding why AA hasn't addressed this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes, it seems like it's always a battle to use FFCI regardless of how many ways one is qualified to use it. I have difficulty understanding why AA hasn't addressed this.
I actually emailed one of the directors of the LAX hub premium services operation in late 2019 to tell her that it's a consistently inconsistent experience. I also told her that other than that interactions with premium services staff once actually in FF Check-In, in the Flagship Lounge, etc., have been always wonderful for me. She did say she would make sure that her team are trained in the correct access policies. So I hope she and her team were able to follow up on it. She was very kind about it.
ExpatExp and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:45 pm

Flagship First Transcon pricing

Seems like American has set a price floor on flagship first flights between New York and LA/SF at $3057 for the next year. I thought it was a glitch but it's been like that for two weeks or so. That's significantly more than pre-COVID fares for a very watered down product, no flagship dining, same meal service as J etc.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:21 am

Tried for LAX flagship check-in as BA gold(OWE) on an AA flight to MIA in J. The agent asked if i was concierge key and i said no and proceeded to ask me to go to the regular check-in area. I said i was OWE and agent checked her list and not find me and then proceeded to ask me to go to the regular check in area. I said I’m allowed but agent said that there are no lines or wait in the regular check in area. I resisted a little bit and agent said i can do flagship check in but stated that there is no difference between regular check in and flagship with no lines. Agent seemed dead set on having me go through regular check in and so i did.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ecfflyer
Seems like American has set a price floor on flagship first flights between New York and LA/SF at $3057 for the next year. I thought it was a glitch but it's been like that for two weeks or so. That's significantly more than pre-COVID fares for a very watered down product, no flagship dining, same meal service as J etc.
I'd say the major difference is a bed to yourself in F vs a close-proximity lie flat to a stranger in J, which my wife values on her business trips. Or so she says
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Tried for LAX flagship check-in as BA gold(OWE) on an AA flight to MIA in J. The agent asked if i was concierge key and i said no and proceeded to ask me to go to the regular check-in area. I said i was OWE and agent checked her list and not find me and then proceeded to ask me to go to the regular check in area. I said I’m allowed but agent said that there are no lines or wait in the regular check in area. I resisted a little bit and agent said i can do flagship check in but stated that there is no difference between regular check in and flagship with no lines. Agent seemed dead set on having me go through regular check in and so i did.
This tracks. You'll find that LAX is the absolute worst when it comes to agents knowing the FFCI access rules. As in, they don't know them. At all.

If you really did want to just make a point, you can access FFCI through the regular check-in area, through the automatic doors.
Global321, ExpatExp and hsumh316 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:57 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I’m really not sure why they have a list if there are going to be so many exceptions to the list. It seems agents are really only trained on list + CK.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
I’m really not sure why they have a list if there are going to be so many exceptions to the list. It seems agents are really only trained on list + CK.
I think who is on the list itself depends on what the agents are trained for/believe and then export to print out. At JFK, I've been on the list whenever I should have been...as an F passenger to LAX and as an EXP in J/Y traveling internationally. I think JFK just understand who is supposed to be on the list, and at LAX they don't. And while not perfect, I think JFK, based on what I have heard from others, has been the best when it comes to letting you through when you are not on the list but actually do qualify.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Question, so we booked business class from LAX to MIA and it says flagship eligible when it came up as a fare. today in 2021 post covid, what does this entail? I mean we booked it only because its an overnight and wanted lie flat but pre covid i would have loved to try this out. Its ou to LAX so i assume the worst like all the experiences we see here? Any advantages this day? Should we even try the FFCI? Any meals at the lounge these days? our trip is firt week of may, so i recognize things may change by then.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by ecfflyer
Totally untrue. I booked JFK-LAX returning SFO-JFK and the posted price was $1715 westbound and 1529 eastbound. I actually booked it for less than that on the Amex travel site. Yes, it's F, not J.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Totally untrue. I booked JFK-LAX returning SFO-JFK and the posted price was $1715 westbound and 1529 eastbound. I actually booked it for less than that on the Amex travel site. Yes, it's F, not J.
Totally true.

You are quoting the one-way fare for each. OP was quoting the round trip fare.
renila and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Guidelines need to be updated. EXPs no longer can use FCI for Central America and most closer South American flights. This aligns with them taking away flagship lounge access for this flights. But remember, they now allow admirals club access for flights to Canada and the Caribbean. So they spin it as a positive when it’s a MAJOR takeaway for EXPs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.