Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Microwave
The OP was referring to a domestic transcon, after which it was suggested that routing on 2-class birds would maximise TP earning on BA. I followed by clarifying that it will generally be cheaper to buy domestic 2-class F than domestic 3-class F. If the OP was changing planes at JFK, I doubt flying into EWR would have been an option. To avoid confusion, I will update my post to clarify that this axiom is true for domestic itineraries.
Yes, and at first I thought the same thing you did, but then I saw the OP's location/program info. My thought is that s/he has the option of changing planes at EWR or JFK, since BA/AA serve both from LHR, or is having a stopover in NYC (fare still applies w/stopover).
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I fly 762 transcons in first several times a year out of JFK. The new voyager seating is quite comfortable and service is typically exemplary. I most recently flew jfk sfo jfk last week.

There is no question in my mind that the OP should fly out of JFK.

See this review for info on the seating and service.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:48 pm

I'm sorry for the newbie question, but what would you choose between 762 J and 763 F for JFK-SFO? I think I might do both on a R/T, just to get a better idea of premium seating on AA. Is there a big difference?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by koroleon
I'm sorry for the newbie question, but what would you choose between 762 J and 763 F for JFK-SFO? I think I might do both on a R/T, just to get a better idea of premium seating on AA. Is there a big difference?
It's a tough call. for a daytime flight, I prefer the seat on the 762 in J, but that's subjective and few will agree with me. Here's what I see as the pros of each:

763:

Sundae with lunch, I believe (as opposed to just dinner)
Working power ports up front
Better tray table setup for having meal and IFE device simultaneously
Two lavatories for 30 seats (vs. 1 on 762)
Lie-flat seat if you need to sleep (but you won't be on a redeye)

762:

WiFi
Opportunity to upgrade to F if you purchase business
Less claustrophobic, easier to operate seating (IMO)
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koroleon
Personally, I'd take the 763 J seat. To be clear, I've never flown in 762 F but I just am very comfortable on the angle-flat seats on a 763/777. I like the J recliners on a 762 but would take a 763 F seat over those in a heartbeat. I suspect this may come down to just personal preference.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:04 pm

AA 738 - domestic "business" (actually domestic First) class seats

Hi

I am booking a flight from LAS to MIA in business class and the plane is listed as a 738.

It's an overnight flight and I'm wondering if I will get any sleep.

What are the business class seats like on AA 738's?

Many thanks!
Old May 1, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

AA does not offer Business Class on its 738's on domestic routes. The flight is sold as First Class and Coach only (although if the flight is part of an international Business Class ticket, you would typically be accommodated in the F cabin on the LAS-MIA flight).

Expect a standard domestic First Class seat: wider, with greater recline and pitch than a Coach seat, but definitely not lie-flat like a Business Class seat on long-haul routes.

I would not expect to have an easy time falling asleep on AA's 738's and domestically-configured 757's.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:31 pm

Our wiki on seats has some more info on seats across AA's fleet, including the 738s. It can be found in the seating section in our FAQ, stickied at the top of the forum (where it says "Please check here first!" )
http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Plan...Boeing_737-823

I believe that most of the 738s have the articulating seats already, not sure how many still have the old seas.

Welcome to FT!
Old May 2, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Recently flew a 738 PHX-DFW which had the Boeing Sky Interior and, other than the difference in how the F seat reclined (the bottom slid forward as the back tilted) it was overall a comfortable ride. Wide seat, OK recline and the BSI interior gives an open feel. Also, I liked the way the additional drink shelves folded out of both the seat itself and from the armrest back of the seat in front.

Short flight mid-morning so we only had a snack and it was hearty salad with a nice fillet of cold salmon on the side.

Overall ^
Old May 2, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I fly the AA B737 from DFW to YUL once a month in Business Class.

The seats are very comfortable (not lie flat) more comfortable than the FC seats in the MD-80s.

I usually take a short nap on the 3 1/2 hour flight.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:36 am

Beware the NEWEST 737-800s

American has several different B737-800s, all with different flying experiences. The 737-800 BSI has the refreshed cabin, window surrounds, LED lighting, sculpted overhead storage, and traditional seats, with no In-Seat-Entertainment.

According to this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post22254187

as of last month, American has 9 of a NEWER 737-800 with new slimline seats and in-seat-entertainment. I have flown on one of these aircraft (in both Main Cabin and First Class) and I can say, it was a very uncomforable experience. The slimline seats are hard and uncomfortable, with no discernable padding. The ISE equipment boxes under the seats take up an unbelievable amount of space - I use a SMALL carry-on, and it came nowhere close to fitting under the seat in Main Cabin. You might fit a cantaloupe under there, but nothing else. Finally, the seatback pockets have been replaced with tightly-stretch NETS that are much smaller than previous pockets. I usually like to put a small (16.7oz) water bottle in the seatback pocket, but it is impossible here. Also, of couse, something like a tube of lip balm or roll of Lifesavers can't go here, because it will fall out of the net (intended, I'm sure) Literally, you can slide a flat envelope or other papers in the net, but that's it. The FAs were apologizing up and down the aisles as passengers continued to complain. They even asked us to go on AA.com and complain.

Horrible product.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
What I noted in the cabin of the particular aircraft I flew was the new slimline F seat with the articulated back (a lady in front of me couldn't figure out how to make hers recline- I told her to slide forward ), the BSI interior but with the drop-down LCD screens (there was one right in front of row 5 IIRC), the LED lighting, etc, etc. The flimsy net pockets were there but I also noted a magazine slot under the outer armrest. Both tables were contained in the center armrest. The F lav seemed tighter than what I was used to, more like those on a CR900. My head hit the fuselage and I had to contort a bit to stand and urinate.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I just flew two flights on the new 737-800, one with AVOD and one without. The one with AVOD was pretty nice. I had bulkhead, and the amount of leg room was just fine. I heard the guy behind me on his phone before takeoff saying "I have never been in an F cabin with a 13 inch AVOD" or something to that effect. I did notice that my butt was numb at the end of each flight. There is no padding in the seat cushion. I ended up taking the blanket that is provided and sitting on that. The recline is not amazing, and so sleep on a red-eye would still be an issue for me given this and the hardness of the seat. One thing I have done in the past on long flights is to cut some memory foam to the size of the seat cushion and take that with me. It scrunches up pretty small in your carry on, and makes the seat much softer.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: QF SG
Thoughts on 14A vs 7F (7DE are curiously blocked out)? It seems the exit row has extra leg room but it's a window seat and may get cold. 7F has knee room and full recline. I'm a tall guy (6'5") and can live with either but I'm a little bit worried if my shoulders will be squashed up against the wall in either spot. All MCE aisle seats are taken.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Also see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html (2011)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ec-2013-a.html (2013)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.