Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA Project Oasis all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Cazique
Is the business cabin available to just elite and Y/B, or to everyone? I'm back down to dirt status, and I was able to choose 10HJ when holding a reservation just now for JFK-MIA on a 762. Will it get spit back out later?

(And - is a mile upgrade to the F cabin worth it if I can in fact sit in J? Never sat in 3-class F before.)
I think it depends on how much you pay to sit there.
For an EXP, no problem.
For MIa-Jfk it is 3 stickers for GLD and PLT. If I had to use stickers or pay $90 I would do it, especially if I could get the Capt Kirk seat

You can go here and see what Seat Expert says
http://www.seatexpert.com/_AA_767_200.html
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's not an exception; you're talking about something completely different than card1953's answer to the OP. You're talking about three cabin aircraft and card1953 was discussing "the front cabin of a plane with 2 cabins." 762s and 777s are not "planes with two cabins," and thus, there exists no "exception" to card's answer.
Oh well. My point still stands and is valuable to the OP. There are domestic services that are sold as three class service - it appears he wasn't aware of that and it is pertinent to the topic at hand. I should have quoted the OP, big deal.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cazique
Is the business cabin available to just elite and Y/B, or to everyone? I'm back down to dirt status, and I was able to choose 10HJ when holding a reservation just now for JFK-MIA on a 762. Will it get spit back out later?
If you are holding confirmed seats in the J cabin, and then you lost status, I doubt you will get bumped out. Just don't call AA to ask about the PNR, or the agent might notice it.

(And - is a mile upgrade to the F cabin worth it if I can in fact sit in J? Never sat in 3-class F before.)

It depends on what your priorities are. For me, if I'm flying domestically on the 772, I definitely would use miles to be able to sit in the Flagship Suites! But YMMV, especially now that there's a copay for domestic mileage upgrades.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Oh well. My point still stands and is valuable to the OP. There are domestic services that are sold as three class service - it appears he wasn't aware of that and it is pertinent to the topic at hand. I should have quoted the OP, big deal.
Yes. misinformation and misleading information no longer is a big deal on this board, is it?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Maybe you're right, but I don't presume to know what the OP knows and what they don't. Certainly nothing in the OP indicates a lack of knowledge about the "3 class sold as 2" issue.

The OP asked why some 738 flights are sold as F/Y and why others are sold as J/Y. Seriously doubt a discussion of 762s and 777s is in any way relevant to the answer sought by the OP, but YMMV.

The only thing I can discern from the OP is that they were unaware that AA calls the front cabin of domestic 2 cabin service "First Class" yet calls that same cabin "Business" when it flies outside the 50 states.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But its fun to go off on tangents. It certainly makes finding useful information sooo much easier via search since it's now buried in a thread that has little bearing on that particular content.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Is First on the 738 from EWR-LAX different?

Now that EWR has lost the 3-class 762 service to LAX, what's first class on the 738 like? Obviously the seats aren't as nice as on the 762 but is the service still "flagship", or just regular domestic first?

With a fare sale, I suspect it's still worth paying $109 for J on the 762 out of JFK than $79 for F on the 738 (assuming my upgrade clears, which it almost always does)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This is a good question cause I just booked the MR myself. I booked EWR-ORD-LAX on the way there, and LAX-EWR on the way back
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Interestingly, a discussion of seats, with a link to the wiki for even further information, can be found in the FAQ at the top of the page. I found this post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11822051-post27.html

by just searching for {seats} in the FAQ.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Originally Posted by brp
Interestingly, a discussion of seats, with a link to the wiki for even further information, can be found in the FAQ at the top of the page. I found this post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11822051-post27.html

Cheers.
Unfortunately the original question has nothing to do with seats: "Obviously the seats aren't as nice as on the 762 but is the service still "flagship", or just regular domestic first?"

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by brp
Interestingly, a discussion of seats, ...

Interestingly, the OP stated he knew the seats were different. He was simply asking about the degree of 'flagship' service on a 738 transcon. I think I know the answer, but haven't flown the route so I have no first-hand knowledge.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: Various
The new version of the 738 is also being used on the LAX-BOS route. Somebody posted menus with photos showing some of the food and layout of seating area from a recent trip. I'd presume they will have a similar menu for the LAX-EWR and (possibly) the LAX-IAD routes. Link below:

Meal/Menu LAX-BOS
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Robt760
The new version of the 738 is also being used on the LAX-BOS route. Somebody posted menus with photos showing some of the food and layout of seating area from a recent trip. I'd presume they will have a similar menu for the LAX-EWR and (possibly) the LAX-IAD routes. Link below:

Meal/Menu LAX-BOS
Pretty bad choices for a transcon service. Cold beef?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:33 pm

I was the one that posted the pics from my LAX - BOS flight. I typically fly AA25 from BOS - LAX about once a month. My last 4 trips have all been on 738s. That flight used to be on very tired 752s. Service is standard domestic first. I have never been on a flagship 762 so I cannot give a direct comparison. The 738s are pretty new and in good condition. Seats are not leather but I actually prefer the cloth. Headrests are winged to give some support. Recline is articulating. I like the laptop slot and AC power outlet. No wifi yet which is a big minus from the flagship 762s. Seats have the upper and lower pockets.

Laptop slot

As for the cold beef, it was pretty "meh." Flavor was so-sobut it was tougher than a mule. Lentil salad was not bad. The veggie quesidilla was kinda soggy.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeffer
Now that EWR has lost the 3-class 762 service to LAX
Oh really, did it? What a surprise.

The service will be the same as on any other 2-class transcontinental flight in F. Which is essentially the same as (if not identical to) a 3-class transcontinental flight in J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.