Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Fiji Airways is the rebranded Air Pacific...

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 12, 2015 at 11:18 pm Reason: Moved content to wiki
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Air Pacific Tabua Class via AA Miles? [award]

Hi, I was wondering if anybody ever had any success in booking Business (aka Tabua) Class on Air Pacific using AA Miles? I was able to book an Economy Award from NAN to LAX and was told that I should just keep on calling American Airlines Reservation to see if a Business Class Award seat opened up (as the miles requirement is no different) because Air Pacific awards are not available online. Before I put myself through the pain of calling AA Rez every couple of days to check, wanted to see if it was even worth the effort. Would appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
You can check FJ availability online at QFF, which is free to join. I think that an AA economy award (37500 miles) will not get you into Tabua (J) which is 62500 miles.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

It is possible FJ will open a Tabua Class seat at some point - or not; there is no way to predict it. You may also be able to purchase a counter upgrade (read on for most current pricing).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
You might also consider NAN-HNL on FJ and HNL-LAX on AA. This is also searchable online at QFF.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by ThanxsisC
Hi, I was wondering if anybody ever had any success in booking Business (aka Tabua) Class on Air Pacific using AA Miles? I was able to book an Economy Award from NAN to LAX and was told that I should just keep on calling American Airlines Reservation to see if a Business Class Award seat opened up (as the miles requirement is no different) because Air Pacific awards are not available online. Before I put myself through the pain of calling AA Rez every couple of days to check, wanted to see if it was even worth the effort. Would appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
I have had luck booking LAX - NAN - AKL (two seats in Tabua) and LAX - NAN not once, but twice. Call me lucky. Enjoyed Tabua class, the food, a chance to hang out in the NAN airport on the way to New Zealand (nice little club in the LL of the airport). Good luck!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA-Plt/Lifetime Gold;Marriott-Plt Prem;Hilton-Dia;Hertz-Pres Cir
I've also booked AKL-NAN and NAN-LAX for two on both legs in Tabua. So it is possible. But we did book well in advance 300+ days.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Thank You!!

Thanks everybody so much for all your help! I'm so happy I can check via Qantas as calling everyday did not sound appealing to me at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something opens up on my travel date. Sadly I'm traveling on 12/31 so will have to be very lucky.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'd assume J award availability on FJ is decent given how commonly they offer counter upgrades. I did NAN-LAX return recently (paid cash for it) in J and the cabin was always full, but I did wonder how many paid full fare.

Am also wondering if it will get more scarce/expensive when they replace the 744s with A333s later this year.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
My GF and I were successful in booking LAX-NAN-AKL and the return this October in award J. For LAX-NAN, she's in J and I'm in Y and I've been checking daily for award J to open so we can sit together. I figure 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Also, we were on the 747 on LAX-NAN when we booked but it looks like they've already moved that flight to the A330. There are actually LESS seats in J on the Airbus so hopefully my chances are still good.

I say keep checking and good luck to you.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by JDiver
You may also be able to purchase a counter upgrade (US-Fiji is ~$750 iirc).
US$900 when I asked last time I flew FJ.

Then again, they maybe just didn't want to bother doing it so they picked a number from thin air and hope I wouldn't bother them further. They picked right that day.

I kinda liked how dingy FJ was. Really looking forward to the new aircraft & have just booked a ticket for later in the year when they should be flying.

ETA: Just had a look at the FJ website and a paid counter upgrade is US$1300.

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Feb 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Ah, yes, last time it was $900; and now $1,300, wow!

I remember when it used to be $750 US LAX-NAN and $750 Fiji Dollars NAN-LAX.

The old Singapore-leased in 747-400s were definitely showing their age. The A330s will be welcome, albeit they will indeed offer less selection for awards (and apparently significantly more expensive counter upgrades).

Ni sa moce, Air Pacific; Ni sa bula, Fiji Airways.

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
US$900 when I asked last time I flew FJ.

Then again, they maybe just didn't want to bother doing it so they picked a number from thin air and hope I wouldn't bother them further. They picked right that day.

I kinda liked how dingy FJ was. Really looking forward to the new aircraft & have just booked a ticket for later in the year when they should be flying.

ETA: Just had a look at the FJ website and a paid counter upgrade is US$1300.
ThanxsisC, you did not have to call QF - you could have done the search online via their website.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ah, yes, last time it was $900; and now $1,300, wow!

I remember when it used to be $750 US LAX-NAN and $750 Fiji Dollars NAN-LAX.
Interestingly, booking a $1700 Y fare and adding the $1300 upgrade to J each way at the counter is still cheaper than buying J outright at $5500. (prices LAX-CHC at new year)

Looks like they do a "J seat but Y service" dep counter upgrade for $450. I think I might try that this year, assuming there are any seats available in J at that point.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
AA - Fiji Airways - Air Pacific

Looking for a flight to Fiji on AA's WEB site and Air Pacific comes up as the carrier that actually takes you there. Doing an Orbitz search and it shows AA but Fiji Air as the actual carrier. I don't suppose either one of those carriers can be used to redeem awards on.

Looked around the AA WEB site and neither was a Oneworld or affiliated airline.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Redeem Miles page on aa.com has a useful hyperlink.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.