Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under Project Oasis this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 Project Oasis standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30 pitch in Main Cabin, 33pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum

Was on AA #1514 DFW-FLL today and noticed that the middle seats in row 17 were blocked off with a console.

Asked an FA about it while getting off the plane and she said that they had blocked off middle seats in some other rows also. She said it was a staffing issue, reduced the capacity on the 757 aircraft so that they could fly with one less FA. I think the FAA rule is one FA/50 PAX.

This is a good alternative if you can't snag an exit row. Is this something that will eventually happen on all smaller 757's? Also, does anyone know if you can determine in advance if your aircraft has been reconfigured?

I did notice when printing my boarding pass 4-5 hours before departure that I was unable to access the set map.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reason: retitle thread - preserve OP title
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dfwdal
This is a good alternative if you can't snag an exit row. Is this something that will eventually happen on all smaller 757's? Also, does anyone know if you can determine in advance if your aircraft has been reconfigured?
Maybe it's the first step toward an "intra-Europe J" product
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:27 pm

I think the AA 757s have 182/188 seats. So if the 50 pax/FA rule is true (I have no idea) wouldn't that mean they would need to block more than 30 seats? That seems like a whole lot just to save one FA. Although if there were very low loads, I suppose it could make sense.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
AA has stored some 752s, including aircraft that are only 20 years old. The 738 is cheaper to operate. Unless the pax demand on a route is consistently more than a 738 can handle or the flight is longer than a 738 can handle (which implies that the fuel burn for a long, thin flight is justified financially), the 738 is a better choice. Blocking seats in a 752 is just a short-term workaround.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
What's a "smaller" 757? All of AA's 757s, are, iirc, 757-223s.

The "fix" allows them to fly thinner routes - or those with higher value and substantial cargo - with at least one fewer FA, and perhaps also lays out some weight and balance solutions before there is a problem. They must also have those seats blocked for assignment.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2012 at 9:16 am Reason: add cargo
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by will2288
I think the AA 757s have 182/188 seats. So if the 50 pax/FA rule is true (I have no idea) wouldn't that mean they would need to block more than 30 seats? That seems like a whole lot just to save one FA. Although if there were very low loads, I suppose it could make sense.
Correct. I can't see a savings from having a mechanic install, then remove, 30+ seat blockers to save the costs of an FA. If AA is routinely flying 757s with 30-seats blocked off it had better see outstanding yields on those routes (which must demand the takeoff/range capabilities of a 757 or they'd use a 738).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Is it possible it was related to FA's not being able to get to work because of Sandy, and the decision was to block the seats and fly rather than cancel because of FA unavailability?

Just a thought since I've never heard of it before.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Would they need to physically block the seats if the goal is FA staffing, or could they just limit the # of pax onboard?

If you have 150 pax (needing 3 FA) and 180 seats (but did not sell/use the remaining 30), is that OK in the eyes of the FAA, or would they have to be unusable seats?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Would they need to physically block the seats if the goal is FA staffing, or could they just limit the # of pax onboard?

If you have 150 pax (needing 3 FA) and 180 seats (but did not sell/use the remaining 30), is that OK in the eyes of the FAA, or would they have to be unusable seats?
The seats must be unusable. If a plane has 300 usable seats, it must feature at least six FAs whether the passenger count is one or 300.

The OP mentions "several" blocked seats yet as others mentioned, more than 30 would have to be blocked in order to fly with just three FAs, which makes me skeptical of the FA's explanation to the OP.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dfwdal
Was on AA #1514 DFW-FLL today and noticed that the middle seats in row 17 were blocked off with a console.
Flight 1514 on October 29, 2012, was operated with a 737-800 aircraft.

On MCE converted 738s four middle seats are permanently blocked to bring the capacity down to 150 which would reduce the minimum staffing of that type to 3 (if the FAA goes along with the seat blocking scheme).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bchandler02

They must be blocked, but it's not exclusively an FAA rule in that LH physically blocks a few seats on some intraEU routes in order to fly with fewer FAs.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a look at AA60 the 19:25 Departure from DFW-MIA today (30 Oct). It clearly shows 16 B & E and 17 B & E missing.

It's a MCE configured 738
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
For those wondering how they are blocked on a 738
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:44 pm

14 cfr 121.391

Just for reference!

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...13.2.6&idno=14

14 CFR 121.391 Flight attendants.
(a) Except as specified in 121.393 and 121.394, each certificate holder must provide at least the following flight attendants on board each passenger-carrying airplane when passengers are on board:

(1) For airplanes having a maximum payload capacity of more than 7,500 pounds and having a seating capacity of more than 9 but less than 51 passengersone flight attendant.

(2) For airplanes having a maximum payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less and having a seating capacity of more than 19 but less than 51 passengersone flight attendant.

(3) For airplanes having a seating capacity of more than 50 but less than 101 passengerstwo flight attendants.

(4) For airplanes having a seating capacity of more than 100 passengerstwo flight attendants plus one additional flight attendant for each unit (or part of a unit) of 50 passenger seats above a seating capacity of 100 passengers.

(b) If, in conducting the emergency evacuation demonstration required under 121.291 (a) or (b), the certificate holder used more flight attendants than is required under paragraph (a) of this section for the maximum seating capacity of the airplane used in the demonstration, he may not, thereafter, take off that airplane

(1) In its maximum seating capacity configuration with fewer flight attendants than the number used during the emergency evacuation demonstration; or

(2) In any reduced seating capacity configuration with fewer flight attendants than the number required by paragraph (a) of this section for that seating capacity plus the number of flight attendants used during the emergency evacuation demonstration that were in excess of those required under paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) The number of flight attendants approved under paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section are set forth in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(d) During takeoff and landing, flight attendants required by this section shall be located as near as practicable to required floor level exists and shall be uniformly distributed throughout the airplane in order to provide the most effective egress of passengers in event of an emergency evacuation. During taxi, flight attendants required by this section must remain at their duty stations with safety belts and shoulder harnesses fastened except to perform duties related to the safety of the airplane and its occupants.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:48 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's clear the OP incorrectly listed the flight as being operated by a 757 when it was really a 738 with the MCE Configuration. (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1514)

Apparently AA has opted to block 4 additional seats on these aircraft to bring the available seating down to 150 - which only requires 3 FAs.

The thread title is not correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.