Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
The FA said it was so they could sell at high price coach seats last minute (made no sense to me) and have a place for FA's who were in transit.
Lots of good info in the thread that BRP provided but I do need to call shenanigans on this line from the FA -- those trays are not movable without a screw driver and we all know the FAs won't be pulling out tools and getting dirty to make those seats available.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Those seats are blocked, four of them middle behind the exit rows, bring the capacity of the aircraft from 154 to 150, so it only requires three FA and not four, to save money. Pretty simple.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jec6613
Those seats are blocked, four of them middle behind the exit rows, bring the capacity of the aircraft from 154 to 150, so it only requires three FA and not four, to save money. Pretty simple.
And this capacity going to 154 was due to row removal for MCE.
So, this "feature" is found on 738 aircraft that have MCE.
So, you get the choice of Exit Row, MCE, or regular legroom with nobody in the middle seat. I like this, though I can't seem to decide if I want more legroom or the middle seat blocked. I guess it depends on whether or not I am using a laptop
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
And this capacity going to 154 was due to row removal for MCE.
... kind of.

There are three 737 seating configurations in use: 148 passengers with standard recliners, 160 passengers with articulating chairs, and the 154 (150) passenger MCE aircraft (which also have articulating chairs). Eventually every 737 in the fleet will be reconfigured to the 150/154 configuration though.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As stated in the thread - this is now merged into it - the seat blockers are not meant to be removed by passengers; they are installed to reduce the passenger load to 150 and allow one fewer FA to fly in the aircraft. The FAA is (AFAIK) iin the process of deciding whether this blocker will be allowed to be used for the total seat count.

I don't fly coach often, book it most of the time. Yesterday was one of the rare times when an upgrade didn't come through for either myself or wife - both EP. No big deal. Aircraft 737 - ORD - LAX. When we got to our row, found a plastic tray type table on top of the middle seat (as did the row across from us and the entire row in front) Rows 16 and 17.
The FA said it was so they could sell at high price coach seats last minute (made no sense to me) and have a place for FA's who were in transit.

Questions: Is this common? Always Row 16 and 17 on the 737?

Fantastic having the middle seat empty on a FULL flight.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JDiver
As stated in the thread - this is now merged into it - the seat blockers are not meant to be removed by passengers; they are installed to reduce the passenger load to 150 and allow one fewer FA to fly in the aircraft. The FAA is (AFAIK) iin the process of deciding whether this blocker will be allowed to be used for the total seat count.
And as a note, AA has gone to almost exclusively MCE seat maps for their flights, but changing out within 24 hours of flight time. This has happened on my two 737 flights this past weekend. Definitely not picking 16 or 17, I was in 15 and had an EXP directly behind me in 16 on my most recent flight, thinking he may have gotten caught up in this, as the flight was full and could not change seats to an exit row. I'm not giving my exit row seat up in favor of 16 or 17 until the gate for sure. I don't think AA would be able to, say, sell those 4 seats even if someone walked up and was willing to pay full Y and then assign a fourth FA. But that is just my assumption, not based on any actual knowledge of the involved regulations/contracts.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
Middle seats in row 16 on New Interior 737

Good evening all.

Was flying back to DC last week from MIA on a 737 with the new interior -- cleared standby (last one! whew!) and was given the window in row 16. Now, mind you, I was thrilled to get on an earlier flight... and then I saw that row 16 (and maybe 17, too) had an unmovable plastic table across the middle seats -- thereby taking two (or four) seats out of use for potential passengers.

Any idea why those are there, and why AA would not rather sell those seats?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:29 pm

It reminds me of the European carriers Airbus 320 or 737 where they have the first rows of coach with coach seats sold as business class. What makes it business class is the tray table instead of the middle seat. It seems like they fold the middle seat down and voilla there is a tray table. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:30 pm

Simple reasoning:

The 737-800's with the new seats fit 160 passengers. Once a row is removed for main cabin extra, that brings it down to 154 ... enough to require four FA's. By blocking off four middle seats, that brings the capacity down to 150 seats and so the flight only requires three FA's.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
That was too easy Thank you!

Originally Posted by jec6613
Simple reasoning:

The 737-800's with the new seats fit 160 passengers. Once a row is removed for main cabin extra, that brings it down to 154 ... enough to require four FA's. By blocking off four middle seats, that brings the capacity down to 150 seats and so the flight only requires three FA's.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:18 pm

Why is AA blocking the middle seat on row 16 & 17 on the 737-8

Noticed the 737-8 w/ main cabin extra has the middle (overwing) seats on rows 16 and 17 blocked. There is a tray table across the seat which prevents anyone from sitting there? FAs didn't know and thought it might be related to load on the wings?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allusha
Noticed the 737-8 w/ main cabin extra has the middle (overwing) seats on rows 16 and 17 blocked. There is a tray table across the seat which prevents anyone from sitting there? FAs didn't know and thought it might be related to load on the wings?
Wow. Did the FA happen to see any gremlins out there?

The seats are blocked to reduce seat count to 150, reducing the number of required FAs to three. Multiple threads discussing it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Wow. Did the FA happen to see any gremlins out there?

The seats are blocked to reduce seat count to 150, reducing the number of required FAs to three. Multiple threads discussing it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Allusha
This is related to the reconfiguration of these aircraft to MCE, I've merged this post and its replies into the consolidated thread discussing MCE on the 738.

~Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
FA is full of beans, the plastic thingy is SCREWED into the armrest (I've sat in that seat).

IF the cabin is reconfigured for MCE, there are 154 seats AND if they block the 4 seats, THEN this allows reduced staffing (requirement is 1 FA per 50).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.