Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
It's clear the OP incorrectly listed the flight as being operated by a 757 when it was really a 738 with the MCE Configuration. (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1514)

Apparently AA has opted to block 4 additional seats on these aircraft to bring the available seating down to 150 - which only requires 3 FAs.

The thread title is not correct.
That would make some sense. But don't the AA 738s have 148/160 seats (per AA.com & SeatGuru)? So they would be blocking 10 seats, right?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of AA spending the money to put in the newer/smaller seats which brought the seat count to 160?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by will2288
That would make some sense. But don't the AA 738s have 148/160 seats (per AA.com & SeatGuru)? So they would be blocking 10 seats, right?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of AA spending the money to put in the newer/smaller seats which brought the seat count to 160?
Main Cabin Extra removes one row of economy seats (6). Then block the 4 seats and that brings the total to 150.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Main Cabin Extra removes one row of economy seats (6). Then block the 4 seats and that brings the total to 150.
Makes sense, thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Thread title changed to reflect aircraft was actually a Boeing 737-823. This phenomenon has been mentioned previously (April 19, 2012) in the thread entitled FA / FAs APPROVE AMR LBFO Contract Offer 17 Aug 2012 (previously rejected 2 Jun 2012) here, using seat separator work tables to block seats and request an FAA waiver that allows AA to claim reduced seat capacity for the 738 and delete one Flight Attendant from the crew roster..

/Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:31 pm

If this becomes consistent across the board on all 738s as they install MCE, those seats in blocked-middle-seat rows will become very desirable seats (especially for those under six feet tall).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by HNL
Have a look at AA60 the 19:25 Departure from DFW-MIA today (30 Oct). It clearly shows 16 B & E and 17 B & E missing.

It's a MCE configured 738
Which is interesting to me, as in that case I would prefer those aisle/window seats with a "guaranteed" blocked middle to MCE. As a shorter person I would value the elbow/shoulder room much more than extra legroom (I'm ok with 31" pitch). I'll have to keep an eye on seat charts on upcoming flights...

Originally Posted by JDiver
If this becomes consistent across the board on all 738s as they install MCE, those seats in blocked-middle-seat rows will become very desirable seats (especially for those under six feet tall).
Great minds think alike?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:51 pm

Well, they say "height" and "stature" aren't necessarily related...

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Which is interesting to me, as in that case I would prefer those aisle/window seats with a "guaranteed" blocked middle to MCE. As a shorter person I would value the elbow/shoulder room much more than extra legroom (I'm ok with 31" pitch). I'll have to keep an eye on seat charts on upcoming flights...

Great minds think alike?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
They are completely unrelated, everyone knows that .

Who would have thought AA would be the first to bring European continental business class to the states? Just don't let Fort Worth know that the European airlines try to charge much more for it . I wonder if AA is making them purple seats or green seats? I'll check the seat maps for upcoming flights when I get a chance as I have a couple of Y award trips coming up.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Have a look at AA60 the 19:25 Departure from DFW-MIA today (30 Oct). It clearly shows 16 B & E and 17 B & E missing.

It's a MCE configured 738
Yup. Here is a screen shot of that flight from ExpertFlyer. Should make it fairly easy to know which seats to pick. Although until MCE is fleet-wide, it could always change.

[IMG]
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I saw these on AA 1942 from MIA-ATL - non Sky interior 737-800 but with reconfigured (MCE and Slimline seats). We got stuck in last row due to our 6 hour earlier flight being cancelled, while very slowly exiting I noticed these and turned to traveling partner, pointed at the tray and said "ummm, what is that?". Now makes sense.

Only 2 attendants working economy that night - not sure how many were up front.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
Dept. of Corrections: I was wrong, it was a 737, not a 757
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: AA

When its comes to "Height" ? We are all the same height lying down! :-)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by will2288
No, since I'm guessing this is only temporary. If AA wanted to permanently remove extra seats they'd have been better off removing two rows of Y and adding an additional row of F and making one additional row of Y MCE.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ORD & LAS
When its comes to "Height" ? We are all the same height lying down! :-)
The current obesity pandemic, along with certain anatomical features of each gender would beg to differ .
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
If this is permanent, I would have no problem sitting in those Y seats with blocked middle than F. Some of us value shoulder room without being sardined to the person next to you than legroom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.