Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:17 am
SL2

Programs: AA, United, Flying Blue, JAL, ANA, Korean, KrisFlyer, BA
Seems like it is back up from early this morning! From my experience and others.
Had a friend overseas able to book at about 4AM finally.
Thankfully was not like last time.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cphurley
I called back in the evening and the agent was able to find space in coach and biz on AUH-ORD (both ways) for April dates I was looking at... However, I was pulling up the information from EY at same time and they quoted me availability on a few days with NO Guest Business and no availability on some days WITH Guest Business. Very strange.

Also I have still had no luck on PEK-AUH on Apr dates where EY showing Guest Business seats... I've been offered PEK-DOH-AUH on QR or PEK-HKG-DXB on CX as alternate options.
Follow-up to above... called again this morning and the agent was able to see the PEK-AUH availability in business (matched EY website). Booked for my dates in April.

^^
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Relocating my success story to the right thread...

Found F availability for my target date on LAX-AUH last night while on a flight. Called when I landed and booked 2 tickets. Decided while on the phone to tack on MLE segments (Not sure where we are going yet) but had to take a vol. downgrade to Y on that one for the time being.

Woke up this morning to find ticketing was completed, which is great since last time took almost a week!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sharing another success story...

Booked two F award seats on DFW-AUH-MLE for travel in early Feb. Total cost: 180k AA miles + USD 7.80 taxes.

We also had to take the voluntary downgrade to Y for AUH-MLE segment. Hoping EY opens additional J guest seats closer to departure - Has anyone had any luck with this recently?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Phils11
Sharing another success story...

Booked two F award seats on DFW-AUH-MLE for travel in early Feb. Total cost: 180k AA miles + USD 7.80 taxes.

We also had to take the voluntary downgrade to Y for AUH-MLE segment. Hoping EY opens additional J guest seats closer to departure - Has anyone had any luck with this recently?
I have travelled the AUH-MLE route atleast seven times with the family on AA/EY miles since they started the route a few years ago and have never seen them release more than two seats in J at the "guest" rate. It usually appears to fill up with paid J honeymooners from the UAE or those using a large amount of EY Guest miles. That being said, the flight in J isn't that spectacular, not much more than domestic F ( they are now flying the A330 to MLE with lie flat seats in J so that's nice). Enjoy the flight in F from DFW and expect to sit in Y between AUH and MLE.

Last edited by umaa83; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by anabolism
Anyone know which Apartment seats connect? The reviews say that some Apartments are paired and the divider between can be removed. Each seat map shows a different A380 F layout, and none of them make it clear which are paired. I called EY twice and was told different seats each time, plus was told they couldn't be booked in advance anyway (but the agent didn't sound experienced).
3k+4k
or
3A+4A

Note: you can't see each-other when seated: the divider opens up for half the length of the (separate) bed.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by zoombee
3k+4k
or
3A+4A

Note: you can't see each-other when seated: the divider opens up for half the length of the (separate) bed.
But you can kiss once in bed and the divirer is down
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Two DFW-AUH-DEL First seats booked via EXP agent this morning.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:14 pm

Put two IAD-AUH Business tickets for the end of the year on hold this morning, seems they aren't putting out any F seats on the route right now for the time period in question. Put the request through just a few minutes ago. Agents knew exactly what they were looking for; whole deal took about 5 minutes. Maybe beginner's luck with Etihad, but could not have gone any smoother (assuming, knock on wood, that it tickets and we fly!).

Last edited by arlflyer; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reason: Original statement was vague - they ARE putting out F seats on the route; I just meant not for the time when I was looking.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Put two IAD-AUH Business tickets for the end of the year on hold this morning, seems they aren't putting out any F seats on the route right now. Put the request through just a few minutes ago. Agents knew exactly what they were looking for; whole deal took about 5 minutes. Maybe beginner's luck with Etihad, but could not have gone any smoother (assuming, knock on wood, that it tickets and we fly!).
What dates? I found multiple October two seat F avail dates on IAD-AUH as recently as yesterday evening.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Had 2 J seats LAX-AUH-BOM for December 18 on hold since Friday, called to ticket them yesterday and then received the confirmation email this morning.
Now hopefully F opens up for either LAX-AUH or DFW-AUH in the next 11 months!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, MR, SPG
I originally booked 2 first class seats on EY 101 from AUH to JFK in December 2015, but after the recent timetable change I called American back and was able to successfully switch to EY 103.

For those not aware, Etihad swapped which AUH-JFK flights are operated by Etihad and Jet Airways. The 10:45AM flight is now operated by Jet airways, so if you had your hearts set on the Etihad operated flight and your schedule allows, you should call in and switch.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Two DFW-AUH-DEL First seats booked via EXP agent this morning.
Already looking forward to this trip report
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:06 pm

Just got two F class award seats from AUH-JFK next week.. Availability popped up overnight...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW4
Just got two F class award seats from AUH-JFK next week.. Availability popped up overnight...
Nice!! E n j o y !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.