Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by edy4eva
There is no award inventory for the Residence to begin with. As in is only possible to book it using EY miles under the open seat (which is equivalent to a paid seat, costs the equiv of 20kUSD in miles which is 2.3 mil EY miles). So it's either your friend is bluffing and only managed the regular F suite (Apartment) or doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yes probably he is bluffing as he is known for it in our circle :-). Or may be he paid for the ticket and just didn't want to admit he paid that much for a flight. Will try to find out more when I talk to him next time.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by unicon
Yes probably he is bluffing as he is known for it in our circle :-). Or may be he paid for the ticket and just didn't want to admit he paid that much for a flight. Will try to find out more when I talk to him next time.
There are no EY P fare ex-DFW to SYD/MEL.

Ex-LHR it's around 73k USD for a return LHR-SYD, doubt anyone would spend this amount if the travel is in March when there's no A380 between AUH-SYD and vv.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by tng11
I'm aware there's Guest Seat availability, but it's dried up considerably over the last week or so when it started becoming available. Just that your post made it sound like there was wide open availability in November (which works for me), otherwise the dates I saw availability don't work for me.

EDIT: Looks like the situation has changed since I last checked two days ago! Found availability in mid-November
Great. FWIW, there was wide open availability in Nov when I posted. I guess it's more in flux than you'd imagine.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by xcalx
Nice redemption tangey. I exchanged Amex points over to AA during the last bonus and am now looking to book before the forcasted hike in award points. Does the Ł91 include the AA telephone booking.

Thanks
Just wondering what this forecasted hike in award points means?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by maxmin
Just wondering what this forecasted hike in award points means?

I have been reading that the US bloggers are forcasting an "enhancement" in the AA award chart burning rates. So I want to get the award I'm looking to book done now before the "enhancement"
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I now have an EY booking reference, but the website won't let me select a seat. I guess I have to call?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I have a award booked on BA what is the procedure to swap over to EY if the arrival/departure stay the same? Will I get the taxes back?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by xcalx
I have been reading that the US bloggers are forcasting an "enhancement" in the AA award chart burning rates. So I want to get the award I'm looking to book done now before the "enhancement"
Not going to be worse off than US DM. It's purely speculative all this talk about the enhancement. The only somewhat certain thing is the tie up of status to actual dollars spent.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:03 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Etihad Airways

Dear Guest,

Please kindly visit our Etihad Guest website http://bit.ly/1yaobyz to find more details.

You may also contact your nearest Etihad Office at: http://bit.ly/1zKPQlz our reservation team will assist you accordingly.

We look forward to seeing you on board! *ZD
Originally Posted by amitgu
I called American for DEL --> ORD and back for award flight on Etihad and there was none available for the whole month of May.

Anyone have had success booking (maybe for other months also)? dates and miles used please?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:05 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Etihad Airways

Dear Guest,

Please kindly contact your nearest Etihad Office at http://bit.ly/1zKPQlz for further assistance.
Thank you! *ZD

Originally Posted by remymartin
I now have an EY booking reference, but the website won't let me select a seat. I guess I have to call?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:14 pm

Was able to book the following yesterday for travel in late June/early July:
IAD-AUH-DEL (J)
DEL-AUH-LHR (F) - after which I connect to BA.

Excited to try what looks like a super nice business class on the 787 (IAD-AUH) and, of course, the new first class on the A380 (AUH-LHR). I've flown business on several airlines before, but this will be my first time in first!

The DEL-AUH leg is on one of the Jet Airways planes (operated by Etihad) which I'm interested to check out, too.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:13 pm

Award seats for AUH-SYD in the A380 Apartments seems to have opened up! ^

Going to save up my AA miles for one of these longer flights instead of the relatively short AUH-LHR route! It's a shame that AA won't let you route Oz-Europe on EY, otherwise you could do SYD-AUH-LHR the entire way in the Apartments.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If I have a award booked on BA what is the procedure to swap over to EY if the arrival/departure stay the same? Will I get the taxes back?
bump
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
bump
This question is better asked and answered over at the AA forum.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by tng11
It's a shame that AA won't let you route Oz-Europe on EY, otherwise you could do SYD-AUH-LHR the entire way in the Apartments.
They certainly do let you.

The only thing to note is that they price it as two awards. So SYD-AUH-LHR will cost you 100k in F one way as opposed to 80k on QF/BA or via asia (CX/MH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.