Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
[B]Through / direct with same flight number on multiple segments credit as single non-stop

Through or direct flights are those that use one flight number but may not be nonstop. Takeaway: all nonstop flights are direct; direct flights might not be non-stop. When speaking to agents and you want a nonstop flight, specify nonstop.

A direct (or through) flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which includes one or more stops at an intermediate point(s).
AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link):

For any flights that earn mileage credit based on a percentage of distance flown, the distance is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, the distance of each segment will be used. On single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, the nonstop origin-destination distance will be used and credit for a single elite qualifying segment will be given.
[*]AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.
If one takes a through / direct flight consisting of two or more segments operated as one flight number, the miles earned are as if the flight was a nonstop. E.g. AA111 FCO-ORD (772) and AA111 ORD-LAX (738) would render miles and segment credits as if you had flown nonstop FCO-LAX, even if you had a change of aircraft, terminals and gates in ORD.

It's not uncommon to have different aircraft carry out different segments, even different "gauges" (narrow and wide bodied) and different terminals. Normally, passengers flying both segments must disembark with cabin / hand baggage at the intermediate stops.

The exception is for round trips using same flight numbers, e.g. a mileage run using AA 123 SMF-DFW-SMF would credit separately and properly.

Seat selection will normally be for seats offered on all segments (as opposed to being able to select different seats on different segments.

Upgrades must normally clear on all segments to clear.

There are other peculiarities (affecting upgrade requests, Five Star Services, etc.) discussed in this thread. Booking through / direct flights can cause challenges one doesn’t experience on connections ting flights with different flight numbers or nonstop flights.
Print Wikipost

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
You'll have to get off, and possibly transfer to a different aircraft.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ShutteLag
AA 581 LAX-MCO with 1-stop, will I have to get off the aircraft when it stops at CLT or can I remain onboard?

Thanks!
If its the same a/c, same crew and you remain in the same seat you likely will be allowed to stay onboard. Sometimes crew wants you off the a/c so you are not an obstacle to cleaning. Years back I stayed on a 757 at ORD bound for SNA (comfortable in my F seat) and watching how quickly they turned that a/c was quite impressive.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:34 am

:-:
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If its the same a/c, same crew and you remain in the same seat you likely will be allowed to stay onboard. Sometimes crew wants you off the a/c so you are not an obstacle to cleaning. Years back I stayed on a 757 at ORD bound for SNA (comfortable in my F seat) and watching how quickly they turned that a/c was quite impressive.
that's why I'm asking... it seems to depend on the airline or the crew working the aircraft. same aircraft, same flight number, but sometimes they want continuing passenger to get off the aircraft with all carry-on items, sometimes they let you leave your stuff, and other times they simply let you stay inside the aircraft...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

that's why I'm asking... it seems to depend on the airline or the crew working the aircraft. same aircraft, same flight number, but sometimes they want continuing passenger to get off the aircraft with all carry-on items, sometimes they let you leave your stuff, and other times they simply let you stay inside the aircraft...
Which means unfortunately there is no way to know. Even in midflight a decision might be made to change crew or a/c. I've heard the lead FA get on the interphone and tell other FAs they would be changing routes or a/c instead of going on after a call from the Captain.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*

They should never "let you leave your stuff" since that would be against FAA regulations.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXAA
They should never "let you leave your stuff" since that would be against FAA regulations.
If you're a thru passenger you are allowed to leave your stuff. Not the smartest thing to do, but unless something has changed, not required. It's been 10 years since I was on a direct flight that was actually a truly direct flight and no change of plane involved.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:04 am
Suspended

AFAIK if you get off the a/c you need to take all of your personal item with you. AA I would assume doesn't want to be responsible for your unattended items.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you're a thru passenger you are allowed to leave your stuff. Not the smartest thing to do, but unless something has changed, not required. It's been 10 years since I was on a direct flight that was actually a truly direct flight and no change of plane involved.
You must not fly WN often. It was rare for me, too, until I started flying them. Direct flights are surprisingly common with them.

AFAIK if you get off the a/c you need to take all of your personal item with you. AA I would assume doesn't want to be responsible for your unattended items.
I've seen it go both ways, but never on AA. On WN, they'll sometimes let you leave your stuff onboard (but I feel like this is because they do not catch you). Other times, I've seen FAs instruct pax to take their belongings with them.

If you leave it, there's too much of a chance that your belongings will "walk."
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brewdog11
You must not fly WN often. It was rare for me, too, until I started flying them. Direct flights are surprisingly common with them.

I've seen it go both ways, but never on AA. On WN, they'll sometimes let you leave your stuff onboard (but I feel like this is because they do not catch you). Other times, I've seen FAs instruct pax to take their belongings with them.

If you leave it, there's too much of a chance that your belongings will "walk."
The flight I was referring to was a WN flight. I use them living in TX. However only for the short inter-TX flights I need. Otherwise most times for me it would cost more to fly WN then AA/DL.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:40 am

not on AA, but a co-worker was on a United 787 flight... he was sitting in the back of coach. by time he boarded, there were no overhead spaces... he found an empty spot near the first row of coach. when the plane landed several hours later, his bag was gone. someone had stolen it and walked off the flight with it. It was a shinny brown Tumi carry-on case that's hard to mistake, so the chances of some absent-minded person taking it by accident was kind of slim. The airport police reviewed the footage, but was unable to find out who took it. Well, we know it was one of the 100+ people sitting in coach, right?

long story short, he filed a claim with United and his credit card company. the Tummi carry-on was purchase only a couple of weeks before his flight at a cost of around $600(plus tax). United gave him $200 within a week, but not really sure why they thought they were responsible at all? Two months later, his credit card company reimbursed him the whole $600. So he actually came out on top. (the contents of the carry-on were just old clothes and toiletries, which he said was very little value) Another lesson he earned was to never buy a fancy $600 carry-on case again. He later went and bought the popular $99 Costco Kirkland carry-on. Nothing like a thief with good taste.

Edit: it was this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW4190Q/

Last edited by ShutteLag; Apr 17, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

What's the latest on through flights with same number? They're such a PITA, but I can't avoid it at this point since AA made a schedule change to my itinerary. AA 104 DCA-JFK-LHR. Do I need C inventory to open on both legs in order to clear a SWU from Y to J on the flight to LHR? I don't care about the DCA-JFK leg, but I'm worried that C will never open on that J0 flight and I don't want to lose the chance of upgrading on the int'l flight.

Thanks,
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ross0
What's the latest on through flights with same number? They're such a PITA, but I can't avoid it at this point since AA made a schedule change to my itinerary. AA 104 DCA-JFK-LHR. Do I need C inventory to open on both legs in order to clear a SWU from Y to J on the flight to LHR? I don't care about the DCA-JFK leg, but I'm worried that C will never open on that J0 flight and I don't want to lose the chance of upgrading on the int'l flight.

Thanks,
If you are booked on flight as a single sector DCA-LHR, then you need C inventory for DCA-LHR. The flight has inventories for DCA-JFK, JFK-LHR and DCA-LHR; yoiu do not need availability on both sectors, just on the through sector invemtory
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
These continue to be an issue for me via PHX. I typically have to force the multicity fare. Thankfully, I usually get two lower fare buckets versus the through fare.

I have never gotten upgraded unless I booked the individual segments. Even getting the same MCE seat would not be possible, and I would be stuck with much fewer seat choices.

Rasheed
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Which means unfortunately there is no way to know. Even in midflight a decision might be made to change crew or a/c. I've heard the lead FA get on the interphone and tell other FAs they would be changing routes or a/c instead of going on after a call from the Captain.
You can sometimes figure this out if you monitor your flights in the app with the Wifi. If you see the arriving and departing gates are different, you will know you are going to have a plane change for your through flight. I've had that happen more than once in CLT.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Mileage credit JFK - HKG with stopover in YVR

Hi, does anyone how is mileage credit calculated for CX flight JFK - HKG with stopover in YVR? Is it JFK - HKG or JFK - YVR - HKG? The latter would result in more miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.