Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing Ł6 for one person or Ł11 for a family one way, Ł11 for one person and Ł21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cayohueso
May not be the right place for this, but can you get a porter in T3 inside the sterile area before exiting customs?
I assume you mean in the baggage claim area. I don't recall seeing them, but I'm guessing it must be possible. There are, however, free baggage carts available for everyone to use.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:59 am

I've never noticed porters in any LHR terminals, but then again I've never looked out for them.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
They do have porters for baggage, but they recommend booking in advance and it is a chargeable service. http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guid...rvices/porters
Old May 16, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bse118
In my experience, what is most likely to happen, is that BA will issue an BP for the AA flight at check-in. The flyer will then take that BP to the AA document checkers (and get the absurd "security questions") at whatever point OP encounters said AA checkers.

At least that's whats happened every time I've flown a BA to AA connection at LHR.

AA's not going to let you board the plane at LHR until they've done a doc check and security theatre, but that doesn't mean BA can't print a BP.

* EDIT: the above assumes OP is on a single PNR, which upon review was not clear from the OP.
I connect in LHR far more than I'd like, and this has always been my experience as well. Other options include printing your AA BP yourself before your inbound flight, if it is within 24 hours of your outbound flight, or, since you will be leaving the airport anyway, get your AA BP when you reenter the airport.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Every time I've done a BA->AA connection at LHR (same PNR), when I checked in at the originating BA airport in India or Germany or wherever, BA printed a boarding pass for my onward AA flight. That BA-issued boarding pass on AA is good enough for me to bypass the AA connections desk at the T3 bus entrance from T5 and instead go straight to either the Admirals Club (if I have time) or the AA departure gate. When I finally encounter an AA employee, he or she will reprint the boarding pass. But by then the BA boarding pass served its purpose. Just take care to preserve any luggage check sticker that's on the BA-issued boarding pass before the AA agent tosses it in the bin.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
No through-check on a single PNR? (To merge)

A colleague of mine has just flown, in economy, MIA-JFK-LHR, on a BA marketed, AA operated connecting flight.

He's a reasonably experienced flyer (BA Bronze/OWR).

On this trip, he did have a bag that he checked in at MIA, but was told that he could only check it as far as JFK, where he would have to re-check his bag. Due to slight delays in luggage handling and security, he narrowly missed his flight, then had to wait for 2 1/2 hours to be reticketed.

As a result of this, he ended up with a near four-hour delay and just barely made the last BA-operated JFK-LHR of the day.

The ground handling issues are unfortunate but perhaps to be expected - but is there an AA policy of only checking domestic-international connections, on a single ticket/PNR, only as far as the last domestic destination, followed by a re-check for the international leg?
Old May 22, 2017, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA's policy is to allow through checking of luggage where it is a through booking and to not offer it on separate itineraries

If this was a through itinerary , it should have been checked through
Old May 22, 2017, 3:33 am

Just to confirm, it was a single ticket, single PNR (the outbound LHR-MIA was non-stop specifically to avoid this scenario).

Last edited by Cymro; May 22, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old May 22, 2017, 4:35 am

In which case something went wrong. On a single ticketed itinerary, then bags should be checked through to the destination, not just a transit point

If you would like a cut and paste apology that may or may not relate to the issue, might want to put a complaint in to customer service
Old May 22, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

If you would like a cut and paste apology that may or may not relate to the issue, might want to put a complaint in to customer service
^
Old May 22, 2017, 5:20 am

This is very odd. There must be dozens of MIA >> JFK/PHL etc >> LHR connections every day and bags are checked straight through as standard on single tickets. I can't think why the agent wouldn't have done so in this case.

At least your colleague made it that night, albeit with unnecessary hassle.

Was his originally booked JFK-LHR operated by AA or BA? If I were him I'd be tempted to seek EU261 compensation for the 4 hour delay, but it would be a fight given the first flight - the handling for which is really what caused the delay - was AA so a non-European carrier.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cymro
On this trip, he did have a bag that he checked in at MIA, but was told that he could only check it as far as JFK, where he would have to re-check his bag. Due to slight delays in luggage handling and security, he narrowly missed his flight...
Just guessing at this - there isn't enough detail - I wonder if a schedule change had left him below minimum connect time? Rather than fixing it - offering a later JFK-LHR flight - the agent just refused to check the bag through?
Old May 22, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: TK*G, AB G ;), HH D
I suppose that this should be an EU261 situation (delay 4 hours, BA is an EU airline, single PNR, so above MCT) If so he should get a 600€ compensation. Probably going to be a hassle though
Old May 22, 2017, 6:08 am

No schedule changes; a 90-minute connection I believe as originally offered (AA1048 - 3.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. then AA106 - 8.00 p.m. to 8.10 a.m.) Those are the prime codes, but it was on a (not relevant) BA codeshare.

The thought crossed my mind but the BA-operated flight was the last in the chain and on time. The fact that it was BA-ticketed is not relevant; I can see how it is arguable but I don't think it's a strong case.

(I've also clarified the timings - due to the luggage issue, it became a 4.5-hour connection, so a 3h delay on taking off, which became a 2h 33 min delay on landing, so nothing payable even if it is within scope of the regulation).

Last edited by Cymro; May 22, 2017 at 6:20 am
Old May 22, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus
I suppose that this should be an EU261 situation (delay 4 hours, BA is an EU airline, single PNR, so above MCT) If so he should get a 600€ compensation. Probably going to be a hassle though
The issue for the flight that the passenger was delayed on was due to not getting bags checked in on time -> no compensation

The flight to JFK is outside of the remit of EC261

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.