Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA.com 24 Hour Cancellation Policy is 24 Hour Hold, DOT OK / 26 Jan 2012
AA has cancelled this policy effective 1 April 2016

See HOLD ticket WILL change 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr hold or / & cancel for current thread.

PREVIOUS POLICY:

AA offers 24 hour "Hold" without payment for new bookings in lieu of 24 hour cancellation; this does meet the USDOT requirements. The hold option is offered when one arrives on the booking payment page next to credit card, etc. options.

● Bookings made within seven days of flight are not required to offer 24 hour cancellation or holds; AA.com does not offer cancellation options in those cases, nor does it do so on partner airline flights. (Still in force.)

When you make a reservation by telephone or via aa.com for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. (time zone will be specified) the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. Once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary, the ticket price may change.

See:

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/notic...ur-reservation

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf

(Award flights on AA can still be held for five days.)

Also see: Extended Hold: Pay to hold reservation longer than 24 hours (consolidated)[/FONT][/COLOR]

AA's Customer Commitment states: "When you make a telephone reservation with American Airlines or when you make a reservation via AA.com, the reservation can be held and the fare quoted will be guaranteed for 24 hours or until 11:59 p.m. Central Time the following day, whichever allows you more time to purchase your ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary within this timeframe, the ticket price may change and once payment is received, normal refund policies apply to the ticket."

Note this foot note on AA.com. * Actual "Hold" period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.

In some cases, the 24 hour hold may actually expire in less than 24 hours if ticketing conditions (e.g. advance purchase requirements) supersede the 24 hour period. Nonetheless, as brp states below: "Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare."

24 hour hold is not available for codeshares and partner airlines marketed flights when combined with AA travel, nor to those using discount codes. Nonetheless, under DOT regulations, the airline must allow 24 hour cancellation without fees.

[FONT="Arial"]
Refunds Within 24 Hours of Booking Within 7 Days of Flight No Longer Offered

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process. Though one may have previously gotten refunded within 24 hours of booking fewer than seven days out by AA, it is not required by USDOT and AA is now denying refunds in these instances as of 12 June 2015. The change was not announced to AA flyers or AAdvantage members.

Per JonNYC below:
Originally Posted by Previous policy
AA offers a full refund without penalty within 24 hours of ticketing that occurs 7 or less days before departure.
This no longer is AA policy; refunds are not allowed within 24 hours of purchase within the 7 day time frame.

Updated 10 Feb 2016
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that allowing a 24 hour hold is far better than having to pay for the ticket and then claim a refund
100% agree. However, there are severe issues when itineraries involve non-AA flights, such as US Airways.

First, the majority of agents are not trained that the policy is 24-hour cancellation after ticketing for these itineraries (for itineraries booked 7 or more days in advance), since hold is not an option.

Second, ideally the traveler can just call AA to have such itineraries placed on hold, which is what phone agents recommend (somehow they have the ability to do this, yet travelers are unable to do so on the website ). However, if the traveler gets to the payment screen, then they are temporarily holding inventory in that fare class, which in many cases results in price adjustments for the given flights. This means AA agents will not be able to place the itinerary on hold as the inventory at the given price is unavailable to them (they have to create a new booking when you call). United gets around this issue by allowing travelers on the website booking engine to create a record locator without paying, in order to complete a reservation with a phone agent; AA has no such capability, and this is severely limiting.

I encountered several issues with this a few weeks back when I tried to place a few separate bookings involving US Airways on hold. As I described above, when I called AA to have the itinerary placed on hold, the agents were unable to get the same prices as I temporarily had the inventory, and I wasn't going to risk releasing the inventory in the hope that the price would go back to normal. So, the agent actually recommended I submit payment to generate a record locator, and then they would quickly remove the payment information before it ticketed. Talk about a hack job!

This worked all fine and dandy for the first two itineraries I placed on hold, but the third agent did not do it correctly and it ended up ticketing. It took me an hour and a half of repeatedly calling before I finally got someone who understood how DOT's policy applies to tickets that cannot be placed on hold. I cannot begin to explain how frustrating it was trying to argue this policy with the other phone agents; they had never even heard of itineraries not being able to be placed on hold ("you should have just called!" and "we allow all itineraries to be placed on hold - you did something wrong!").

Tl;dr

1. AA phone agents are not trained properly in this policy
2. AA needs to follow United in allowing the creation of a record locator before submitting payment, in order to allow web reservations to be completed by an AA agent

Last edited by nautikal; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Yea, I had no idea there was a hold option, or obviously I would have done that instead of buying the ticket out right. I really wish this policy was explicitly stated. $200 is a lot of money.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by thegingninj
Yea, I had no idea there was a hold option, or obviously I would have done that instead of buying the ticket out right. I really wish this policy was explicitly stated. $200 is a lot of money.
If you book online it's fairly conspicuously listed as one of the payment options.

Although I think we let airlines give really bad service in a lot of respects, I don't think this is one of them. AA's policies are explicitly stated. Maybe you're saying they don't somehow call out the difference between their policy and other airlines'? I'm not sure that this wouldn't just add confusion to the purchase problem. I think the buyer has some responsibility to be familiar with the policies of each relevant airline in this case.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nautikal
This is correct, however my experience has been that AA agents are generally clueless when it comes to this "exception". Two weeks ago I spent an hour arguing with various agents and redialing before finally getting someone on the Exec Plat desk that would refund the ticket.

AA's implementation of the DOT rule is terrible. It is so much easier on other airlines which simply have 24-hour cancel on all tickets.
I have the same issue with some US tickets booked on 001 stock. EXP line transferred me to the refunds desk who transferred me to another desk. The third desk put me on hold, then came back stating they were non-refundable tickets. My number was taken and they were supposed to call me back, but no call yet 24 hours later. Will have to try again today.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:17 am
Suspended

Question

I'm trying to compile some info on this. This was the original thread and the original post that said there now would be a 24 hour refund period for non-holdable tickets:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22593760-post66.html

Are people finding that they, in fact, generally cannot avail themselves of the reported refund feature that was said to have been added at that time?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm trying to compile some info on this. This was the original thread and the original post that said there now would be a 24 hour refund period for non-holdable tickets:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22593760-post66.html

Are people finding that they, in fact, generally cannot avail themselves of the reported refund feature that was said to have been added at that time?
That is definitely my experience, at least thus far.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danville 1K
That is definitely my experience, at least thus far.
I'll definitely look into it
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Exclamation

I don't know what existed before this, but this policy was amended just yesterday, as it turns out:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showt...2574#post42574
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:21 pm

Jon very kindly links to a document that says it is (and quite plausibly is) AA's current hold policy.

Jon's title calls this policy "DOT compliant." Of that I am less sure.

Suppose a customer is booking a ticket >7 days before departure on aa.com for an itinerary that 1) includes other carriers (not codeshares) and/or 2) applies a discount code. In my experience, aa.com does not offer the hold button although neither of these conditions exempts AA from the DOT's requirements. The DOT's rule and associated guidance requires that information about the hold right be "easily accessible." Does AA in fact disclose, in an "easily accessible" way, that customers have the right to put such an itinerary on hold?

The absence of the hold button, which is otherwise ordinarily present, is also potentially quite misleading as to a passenger's rights. Seeing no hold button, where one ordinarily appears, most regular folks to conclude "I guess I can't put this res on hold" when the true state of affairs is "It is indeed my right to put this res on hold, but aa.com cannot do so, so I'll have to call in." Incidentally if AA later attempted to charge extra fees (e.g. a phone ticketing fee) associated with a customer exercising the right to put the res on hold, I don't think that would be permitted either. The DOT rules make no allowance for a carrier charging for a passenger to avail himself of the right to hold.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by bedelman
Jon very kindly links to a document that says it is (and quite plausibly is) AA's current hold policy.

Suppose a customer is booking a ticket >7 days before departure on aa.com for an itinerary that 1) includes other carriers (not codeshares) and/or 2) applies a discount code. In my experience, aa.com does not offer the hold button although neither of these conditions exempts AA from the DOT's requirements. The DOT's rule and associated guidance requires that information about the hold right be "easily accessible." Does AA in fact disclose, in an "easily accessible" way, that customers have the right to put such an itinerary on hold?

The absence of the hold button, which is otherwise ordinarily present, is also potentially quite misleading as to a passenger's rights. Seeing no hold button, where one ordinarily appears, most regular folks to conclude "I guess I can't put this res on hold" when the true state of affairs is "It is indeed my right to put this res on hold, but aa.com cannot do so, so I'll have to call in." Incidentally if AA later attempted to charge extra fees (e.g. a phone ticketing fee) associated with a customer exercising the right to put the res on hold, I don't think that would be permitted either. The DOT rules make no allowance for a carrier charging for a passenger to avail himself of the right to hold.
Well, the policy says that a hold should be available on all reservations on aa.com (made more than 7 days in advance). In practice this is not the case. For example, I just verified it's not possible to put an itinerary on hold that includes Cathay segments. The policy would have us believe that "This policy applies to reservations booked and ticketed through ... aa.com, without regard to the carrier(s) that may be included on the ticket."

As far as I can tell, the policy is an exercise in wishful thinking, not a reflection of AA's actual practices.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no DOT requirement that the "hold" (or for carriers which elect the "cancel" method) online. It is entirely adequate that AA honor the request if one calls in. Note that there is no obligation for other carriers to honor holds and it may be that all you get is a cancellation for those.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no DOT requirement that the "hold" (or for carriers which elect the "cancel" method) online. It is entirely adequate that AA honor the request if one calls in. Note that there is no obligation for other carriers to honor holds and it may be that all you get is a cancellation for those.
Right, but the policy linked to by JonNYC explicitly says that you get a hold on all fares on aa.com regardless of carrier, and that therefore no cancellation option will be offered. Maybe you're suggesting that there's secretly a way to put even Internet-only fares on hold via the phone that's just not advertised. I think that's extraordinarily unlikely since there's plenty of fares that phone agents can't book at all, but I'd be interested to hear if others have contrary experiences (including, e.g., bedelmen's example of trying to use a promo code).

Edited to add: I'm not sure your original assertion that AA doesn't have to offer the hold online is true. The DoT requires that either the hold or the 24 hour cancellation be provided for "all reservations"; if AA is relying on the hold as its mechanism, it can't argue that it's available for all reservations when it's only available through certain channels. With cancellations, they can require the cancellation request be made over the phone regardless of original booking channel, but that's fine because it still applies to all reservations regardless of where they were booked.

Last edited by jordyn; Sep 5, 2014 at 9:16 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no DOT requirement that the "hold" (or for carriers which elect the "cancel" method) online. It is entirely adequate that AA honor the request if one calls in.
DOT guidance says:
With respect to the 24-hour reservation requirement, carriers are expected not only to include this commitment in their customer service plans and to post the plans on their websites; they are also expected to incorporate the 24-hour reservation requirement into their general cancellation policies and make appropriate disclosures wherever those policies are provided to the public. Otherwise, the presentation of the carriers’ general policies would likely mislead consumers who could avail themselves of the 24-hour reservation requirement about their rights.

Disclosure should appear, at a minimum, ... during the online reservation process before a reservation is processed or a payment is submitted if any limitations on refundability are discussed
When AA includes a prominent "hold" button for some reservations, the button's absence strikes me as likely to mislead consumers into concluding, incorrectly, that it is not their right to put a reservation on hold (or, failing that, to have a 24-hour cancellation right) for reservations without such button.

Also, does the AA site include the disclosure called for by the second paragraph of the quote above?

Note that there is no obligation for other carriers to honor holds and it may be that all you get is a cancellation for those.
The obligation to offer hold or cancellation within 24 hours applies to "all reservations." See guidance, second sentence. I don't see any exception for interline itineraries or other multi-carrier itineraries.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by bedelman

I just had a related experience where I booked on AA.com 7 days in advance. The booking included a US segment and during final purchase there was no "hold" button at the bottom of the purchase page. In fact, I was advised explicitly by text at the top of the screen that the reservation could not be held because of the US segment. When I called to cancel within 24 hours I was told that a refund was not possible because the reservation could have been held. After 20 minutes of arguing about this the reservation agent advised that AA would refund my purchase out of good will, only obliquely admitting that some reservations that included segments on other carriers could not be held for 24 hours. My advice - if you purchase and no hold button shows up be sure to check for and print out any text that says explicitly that the reservation cannot be held.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
...My advice - if you purchase and no hold button shows up be sure to check for and print out any text that says explicitly that the reservation cannot be held.
Seems like excellent advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.