Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Cool, thanks. Agree that MCE is a little better - I could tolerate it on the 77W but the 10 wide is the issue. If it was 9 wide MCE, I'd just go that route and hope to upgrade knowing i could tolerate it.
The difference is not great enough to base a route decision on other things being equal or better.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've wondered about that. In the real world, how much difference can you tell? It seems like MCE on 77W has a tiny bit extra width, MCE on the 772 is just 2 more inches of legroom.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've wondered about that. In the real world, how much difference can you tell? It seems like MCE on 77W has a tiny bit extra width, MCE on the 772 is just 2 more inches of legroom.
U.S. carriers cite seat pitch as part of the early 2000s 'Customer Commitment' obligations negotiated with the Feds.

U.S. carriers are obligated to publish web pages - by aircraft, by cabin - due to a DOT regulation to give parents using infant car seats fit information.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...seatdimensions
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thumbs up

Since saver tickets are scarce, I am debating anytime awards for an upcoming one-way trip PHX-PVG. The short version of my question is -- is it worth redeeming at less than $0.02/mi?

Option 1: Anytime award PHX-LAX-PVG on AA for 140k miles each (two tickets)
Pro: Leave from home city, and a general consensus that AA J > DL J from a previous thread of mine
Con: Second ticket needs to purchase 6k miles at booking time for ~$180

Option 2: DL J LAX-PVG for ~$2300 from Amex IAP
Pro: Save my AA miles for future saver value
Pro(?): Earn 9700 Skymiles as an exception fare
Con: I need a positioning flight (~100 WN each) and hotel (~$130 corp rate at Crowne Plaza)

Option 3: AA J LAX-PVG for $2600
Pro: Paid fare earning 18,200 RDM (will be gold by this) & 13k EQM
Con: Still need the positioning flight & hotel

After deducting the $180 from the paid fares, since I'm short on the miles, I equate our 280k AA miles with $4750 on DL ($0.0169 per mile) or $5350 on AA ($0.0191 per mile)

How would all of you fly?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Based on options given by ITA, I would probably book something like ANA from PHX at $2350
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Can/do AAnytime awards go higher?

If an anytime award US-Europe currently shows 135k miles one way, is there a chance it will increase (not counting a chart-wide devaluation)? I'm looking at doing a o/w for 135k and some days of the week it shows 180k. I know some days are marked as a higher level, but thought once the day is set, it is set. If that is incorrect, please let me know. I hate burning 135k but missing that and having to pay 180k would really suck.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of course, since AAnytime awards slide based on demand. Yield Management practices govern much of what AA does, and that's certainly true of AAnytime awards.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, since AAnytime awards slide based on demand. Yield Management practices govern much of what AA does, and that's certainly true of AAnytime awards.
So you are saying the current standard award of 135k can go to 180k for my date down the line? Good to know. I was able to grab 3 r/t ORD-VCE today at the saver level. We have a 4th person traveling (my mom)who i was able to get home to TPA using a saver AF award. But she will be here in ORD with us and want her on the flight. My initial idea was to just wait for a possibility of a saver award and book an AAnytime at the last minute. But if 135k could become 180k then I'll just book at 135k and pay the change fee if saver awards show up.

The flight still has "C" 7, but paid fares are north of $2k or I'd go that route.
EDIT: looks like they shut that down pretty quick. C is now zeroed out for the entire month I booked.

Last edited by chicago747; Aug 20, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Have we ever confirmed that this is true on a per-route basis? My recent experience booking tickets into BNA for the eclipse would seem to strongly contradict this notion since AAnytime tickets were quite reasonable.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jordyn
Have we ever confirmed that this is true on a per-route basis?
I have the same question-- I know that speaking for myself, I genuinely don't know.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:18 pm

Well, if JonNYC doesn't know I'm going to proceed under the assumption that no one does. No matter how it turns out, 6 one way awards booked in Saaver J is pretty much on par with my Cubbies winning it all last year If I have to pay up on the last one I'm still ahead.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Just noticed this on AA's website:

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp

REALLY?!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by FlyerWx

REALLY?!
The asterisk *appears* to tie it to getting the MCE/Preferred seats when purchasing full-fare economy. There's no asterisk next to any of the status qualifiers, so this would appear to only affect those who purchase full-fare Y or AAnyTime Awards *without* any sort of status.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerWx

REALLY?!
Covered here a bit:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-fare-tickets/

Pathetic: American Cuts Free Main Cabin Extra On Full Fare Tickets

American has just announced that they’ll no longer be offering complimentary Main Cabin Extra seating to full fare passengers...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
AA has variable pricing on aanytime awards?

Due to my grandmother's passing a few days before Christmas, I found it best to use miles for a last minute booking rather than the $700+ r/t fares. Outbound was cool, we lucked out and got two saaver economy @ 12.5k each. But on the return, I found that December 26 awards exceeded the "AAnytime Level 2" rates of 30,000 "contiguous 48 US states"... They wanted 50,000 per person one way!

Considering I used 70,000 for a saver J seat to Shanghai, I came back a day early on Christmas for the 30,000, which was already pretty crazy. But I didn't think AA did variable awards like Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.