Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by davie355
Are LFBU offered on smartphone app check ins?
I received an offer when checking in via an Android device app about 3 weeks ago.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by sosfo
Load factor based upgrades (LFBU) do still exist. AFAIK, they pull from the same instrument upgrade inventory bucket (A/C) and aren't offered until all requested/wait listed upgrades clear. Then, if there are still seats, revenue management MIGHT offer some for sale. I'd recommend checking actual upgrade inventory on expertflyer.

Also, for your reading pleasure:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/me.../LFBUTerms.jsp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ational-j.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ails-page.html
So on an international 3 class route Y -> J books into C?

If that's the case no additional EQPs?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I ended up getting a free upgrade on the MIA-FRA flight, I found myself number one on the upgrade list when I got to the gate - looks like the upgraded 7 people due to oversold Y and actually put them on the upgrade list.
Ended up paying $500 for an upgrade on FRA-MIA.

And yes, the paid upgrade was C, while the free one was R
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Flying GRU-MIA-DFW tonight. Online (aa.com) upgrade offered of $500/pp from business to first on the 77W. We purchased coach seat and upgraded to C with eVIPs.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Got offered LFBU on DFW-NRT for $740 last thursday. Took it and got a center section aisle seat with no one in the middle. First time flying 777 NGBC, and didn't have any issues with sleeping/comfort.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Asked at the counter, POA-MIA and was BRL 1880 (~$500) from Y to C on the 767 (reverse herringbone).
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by captaink
Got offered LFBU on DFW-NRT for $740 last thursday. Took it and got a center section aisle seat with no one in the middle. First time flying 777 NGBC, and didn't have any issues with sleeping/comfort.
I was on that flight as well. I received the same offer, chuckled to myself about who would pay that much, and enjoyed my bulkhead seat with no one next to me for the duration of the flight.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I was on that flight as well. I received the same offer, chuckled to myself about who would pay that much, and enjoyed my bulkhead seat with no one next to me for the duration of the flight.
Well, I only paid $650 for the RT in Y, so the math worked for me
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by captaink
Well, I only paid $650 for the RT in Y, so the math worked for me
Haha, that's what I paid too.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Currently at GIG about to fly GIG-MIA on the refitted 777-200. Was not offered an upgrade online, on the app or at kiosk so asked at counter as the business cabin looked about 65% full based on the map and expertflyer was showing J7. Upgrade list was also empty so I am surprise no offer. Asked at the counter and was told 1924,50 BRL (about $530USD) for LFBU.

I have to go straight to work tomorrow so figured a good night sleep was worth it and used my amex plat for the $200 credit. It also helps that I want to test out the new cabin as I have flown the 777W biz cabin twice already. It seems as if around $500ish is a consistent for brazil flights.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by faceboy
I have to go straight to work tomorrow so figured a good night sleep was worth it and used my amex plat for the $200 credit.
I think the Amex plat fee credit excludes seat upgrade fees, so you might be on the hook for the whole thing.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T. Sanderson
I think the Amex plat fee credit excludes seat upgrade fees, so you might be on the hook for the whole thing.
Thanks for the heads up, didn't realize that. Others have reported success, so hopefully I get lucky too. If not its all good, I enjoyed the ride
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TWA884
My educated guess is that after the elite AAdvantage members are upgraded, F will be full and no LFBU will be offered for sale.
^ Unlike UA, AA will not offer LFBUs unless there are sufficient seats in the premium cabin to accommodate any elites on standby, plus a certain amount reserved for last-minute walkups.

LFBU availability comes from A and C inventories.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: etihad guest silver/ba bronze
Quick question regards JFK TO DUB

Booked in economy was going to upgrade but with no status etc I was checking with you guys the following....
I regularly fly with other airlines and on checking in BA/EI/VIR offer cash upgrades at check in. Do AA offer this by chance?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I was offered a cash upgrade on AA the last time I flew DUB to JFK, so it is possible. I can't remember how much the offer was for however.

It was offered through the electronic kiosk check in at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.