FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1288319-archive-faq-late-arrival-standby-flat-tire-rule-application-master-thread.html)

braddev Dec 6, 2011 2:07 pm

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

I know that AA will let you stand by for a later flight if you miss your flight and call ahead to cancel, but I have never tried this on the last flight of the day.

Will they allow you to do a confirmed stand by purchase or allow you to stand by on the next morning flight or are you just out of luck? I have some late meetings and am worried about missing my flight SNA-DFW. Thanks.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 6, 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by braddev (Post 17578170)
I know that AA will let you stand by for a later flight if you miss your flight and call ahead to cancel, but I have never tried this on the last flight of the day.

Will they allow you to do a confirmed stand by purchase or allow you to stand by on the next morning flight or are you just out of luck? I have some late meetings and am worried about missing my flight SNA-DFW. Thanks.

Technically, if you do not get on that flight you would be subject to a change fee and reprice. Much will might depend on kindness of the GA. Personally, I'd not chance it.

Microwave Dec 6, 2011 2:25 pm

Will they allow you to do a confirmed stand by purchase or allow you to stand by on the next morning flight or are you just out of luck?

First, to clarify, there is no such thing as a "confirmed stand by purchase". There are two options for same-day changes for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean: first, you can pay for a confirmed flight change, as long as E inventory is available on your desired flight and your desired flight leaves in less than 12 hours; second, eligible passengers can stand by for earlier or later flights at no charge. The kicker is that, if you just happen to miss your flight completely, you'd actually be invoking the flat tire rule (FTR), which is different altogether. In such case, you'll typically be placed near the bottom the PALL list for the next flight (even if it's the next day) and be allowed to stand by even if you'd ordinarily be ineligible to do so. This should not require a reprice and change fee (as long as you really did just miss your flight).

braddev Dec 6, 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 17578308)
First, to clarify, there is no such thing as a "confirmed stand by purchase". There are two options for same-day changes for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean: first, you can pay for a confirmed flight change, as long as E inventory is available on your desired flight and your desired flight leaves in less than 12 hours; second, eligible passengers can stand by for earlier or later flights at no charge. The kicker is that, if you just happen to miss your flight completely, you'd actually be invoking the flat tire rule (FTR), which is different altogether. In such case, you'll typically be placed near the bottom the PALL list for the next flight (even if it's the next day) and be allowed to stand by even if you'd ordinarily be ineligible to do so. This should not require a reprice and change fee (as long as you really did just miss your flight).

Thanks.

I guess I should explain what I was thinking. When you go to the kiosk to check in, it will often ask you if you want to stanby for a early/later flight and give you the option of paying the $50 to confirm. I wasn't sure if it ever gave you the option to confirm on a Next Day flight if you flight was the last flight of the day.

Microwave Dec 6, 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by braddev (Post 17578449)
When you go to the kiosk to check in, it will often ask you if you want to stanby for a early/later flight and give you the option of paying the $50 to confirm. I wasn't sure if it ever gave you the option to confirm on a Next Day flight if you flight was the last flight of the day.

If you are within 12 hours of the new flight, and it has E inventory available (verifiable via EF), you should be able to make the change via reservations (or your elite status desk, if applicable) without even going to the airport:

When you want to confirm a flight change before arriving at the airport, simply call our Reservations desk at 1-800-433-7300.

Our Reservations staff will provide a choice of available flights departing no less than 1 hour and no more than 12 hours from the time you call. The $50 charge* can be paid over the phone with any credit card AA accepts.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can check in for your new flight at Curbside Check-In, Self-Service Check-In, or our ticket counter.
Source

alhcfp Dec 6, 2011 3:49 pm

Does FLAT TIRE rule apply to AA flights originating outside U.S.A.?

toast24 Dec 6, 2011 4:02 pm

If you miss the last flight of the day you'll be re-booked automatically onto the next flight out, which could very well be (a) a redeye or (b) at 6AM the next morning.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this has happened to me...that said, I prefer not to chance it.

Madison Guy Dec 6, 2011 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by toast24 (Post 17578895)
If you miss the last flight of the day you'll be re-booked automatically onto the next flight out, which could very well be (a) a redeye or (b) at 6AM the next morning.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this has happened to me...that said, I prefer not to chance it.

You will be rebooked if you are a connecting PAX and miss ANY flight. If the flight is an originating flight, you will probably have all remaining segments canceled. At least my understanding.

formeraa Dec 6, 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy (Post 17580069)
You will be rebooked if you are a connecting PAX and miss ANY flight. If the flight is an originating flight, you will probably have all remaining segments canceled. At least my understanding.

Your understanding is correct!

dmsdfw Dec 7, 2011 7:19 am

I had an incident a couple of years ago where we missed check-in time for the late afternoon SFO->DFW flight by about ten minutes and weren't allowed on even though we had checked in on-line because we had bags to check. Fair enough - I should have got there earlier.

However, the check-in agent wanted $250 each to rebook us on the next flight since it didn't leave until 12:15 am which she saw as next-day and therefore not eligible for standby. I called the EXP desk immediately who said that this wasn't the rule at all and not only could I standby for that next flight but my status would put me top of the list. I ended up having to hand my phone to the check-in agent who, after about five minutes of defensive discussion with the EXP desk, agreed to do the standby but made it clear she didn't agree with it and was going to add a note to the locator to say as much.

In the end, we were #1 and #2 of about ten on the standby list and got on the later flight without further issue. Therefore, in this case at least, standby from a missed last flight of the day worked and the comment from the EXP desk along with the fact that we ended up top of the list suggested that the flat tire rule didn't reduce our standby priority in any way.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Dec 7, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw (Post 17582159)
I had an incident a couple of years ago where we missed check-in time for the late afternoon SFO->DFW flight by about ten minutes and weren't allowed on even though we had checked in on-line because we had bags to check. Fair enough - I should have got there earlier.

However, the check-in agent wanted $250 each to rebook us on the next flight since it didn't leave until 12:15 am which she saw as next-day and therefore not eligible for standby. I called the EXP desk immediately who said that this wasn't the rule at all and not only could I standby for that next flight but my status would put me top of the list. I ended up having to hand my phone to the check-in agent who, after about five minutes of defensive discussion with the EXP desk, agreed to do the standby but made it clear she didn't agree with it and was going to add a note to the locator to say as much.

In the end, we were #1 and #2 of about ten on the standby list and got on the later flight without further issue. Therefore, in this case at least, standby from a missed last flight of the day worked and the comment from the EXP desk along with the fact that we ended up top of the list suggested that the flat tire rule didn't reduce our standby priority in any way.

Was this your outbound or return flight?

braddev Dec 7, 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw (Post 17582159)

Ok, this is how I would expect things work, that you are just standby for the next flight.

dmsdfw Dec 7, 2011 9:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 17582742)
Was this your outbound or return flight?

Return.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Dec 7, 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw (Post 17582810)
Return.

Would missing a flight on the outbound cancel the return? or would you be able to standby on the outbound and "rescue" the return?

alhcfp Dec 20, 2011 8:51 am

FAQ: "Flat Tire Rule" and its application (Late Arrival Standby)

Although it is frequently mentioned, I have not been able to find the terms of the actual Flat Tire rule.

Is it only domestic? Do you standby on next flight? and, do you have to claim Flat Tire or does getting to Ticket Counter within 2 hrs of flight time for any reason activate this rule?

Is this rule at the whim of the TA or is it official AA policy?

Thanks