Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Elites Benefits Flying AS / Alaska Airlines Discontinued 1 Jan 2018 Including domestic earning AA miles and status flying AS

For travel starting January 1, 2018

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Alaska Airlines within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
  • Canada
  • Central America
  • Mexico
Earn miles on Alaska Airlines only when flying on American Airlines* codeshare flights.

Flying as an AA marketed flight (“AA codeshare”) continue to earn as if you were flying AA:
  • Award miles
  • Elite mileage bonus
  • EQDs
  • EQMs
  • EQSs
  • Minimum EQM guarantee
Flying domestic Alaska flights marketed as Alaska flight numbers do NOT earn any AAdvantage credit as of 1/1/2018 other than if marketed by American Airlines. AA codeshares are operated by Alaska and Horizon, not Virgin America.

Previously offered. AA AAdvantage status-based perquisites are no longer applicable.

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines are discontinued at this time.

No changes will be made to award travel; AAdvantage members can still redeem miles for travel on Alaska Airlines. (link) [/quote]

Benefits offered to AAdvantage elite members flying on Alaska Airlines (were) will also be discontinued at this time.

[SIZE=“3”]N.B. The reciprocal lounge access agreement for Admirals Club members will continue. [/SIZE]

Reciprocal lounge access for Admirals Club and Board Room is based on Admirals Club membership or other arrangements in the AA - AS lounge reciprocity agreement discussed (continues after 1/1/18) here and here .
[center]

Earning AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Air) Link to AS earning chart on aa.com

"Earn miles (ends 1/1/18 except AA codeshares):

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:

• Buy an eligible International published fare ticket booked in an eligible booking code and

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable."

Note:No miles are earned on AS flights in fare classes not published on aa.com as miles-earning

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will always (including after 1/1/18) be credited AAdvantage base, award, elite qualifying miles and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart.
Print Wikipost

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks ashill...

I have a 2 LAX-SEA round trip, one booked on AS and one on VX, both in Y. And I may have a few more later.

The Y mile earning doesn't concern me much but I definitely care about earning AA EQM and EQD, plus potentially able to check bags for free.

The AS reservation was made with my AA# (Platinum) so I should be good with priority boarding and seat assignment and bag check.

The VX reservation was made with my VX# (not elite status) but I've already converted my VX miles to AS miles so I may change that to my AS#. But sounds like I will be out of luck on priority boarding, seat assignment or bag check.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
Also, if you care about waived check bag fees and preferred seat assignments, it's certainly easier if your AA number is in the reservation. (It may or may not be possible to get preferred seat assignments and waived check bag fees with your AS number in the reservation.) Priority boarding is marginally easier with the AA number in the reservation because your boarding pass will say "Priority", but it's no problem to board early by flashing your AA elite card if they even bother to enforce priority boarding.
I book us with AA numbers to get preferred seats, then change to AS at the gate for AS earning on the shorter flights where we don't need the AA EQM/EQD.

Last time it ended up crediting to both

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
Do I Get AA Miles ??

Purchased Alaska Airline tickets -- Flew LAX/FLL on Virgin America -- AAdvantage numbers in record ??
Old May 14, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rlines-10.html
Click to open the wiki

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:
Virgin America is not Alaska (yet) Still a different airline
Old May 14, 2017, 8:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by delacpa
Purchased Alaska Airline tickets -- Flew LAX/FLL on Virgin America -- AAdvantage numbers in record ??
From the Wikipost: (NOTE 2: As long as VX is not fully absorbed into AS - e.g. all flights are marketed as AS - no AAdvantage credit is earned flying VX. Alaska Air Group is to merge Virgin America with Alaska Airlines, including a single operating certificate, in 2019.)
Old May 26, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Originally Posted by JDiver
From the Wikipost: (NOTE 2: As long as VX is not fully absorbed into AS - e.g. all flights are marketed as AS - no AAdvantage credit is earned flying VX. Alaska Air Group is to merge Virgin America with Alaska Airlines, including a single operating certificate, in 2019.)

I'm looking at booking ORD-OGG-ORD in J over the Thanksgiving week. Tickets are a bit pricey that week, so I'm looking more at price than mileage credit when choosing flights. That said, there is no reason to throw away the miles. One option I found was a VX operated outbound and AS inbound, both with AS flight numbers. I'm a beginner at trying to maximize miles and eqms, but I mostly try for AA miles and qualifying miles. What should be my strategy here? If I understand the above correctly, I can't credit the VX operated flight to AA. Can I still credit the AS flight to AA? Should I just open a VX FF account for that leg and hope to use those miles someday? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

t
Old May 26, 2017, 6:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goldmarch
I'm looking at booking ORD-OGG-ORD in J over the Thanksgiving week. Tickets are a bit pricey that week, so I'm looking more at price than mileage credit when choosing flights. That said, there is no reason to throw away the miles. One option I found was a VX operated outbound and AS inbound, both with AS flight numbers. I'm a beginner at trying to maximize miles and eqms, but I mostly try for AA miles and qualifying miles. What should be my strategy here? If I understand the above correctly, I can't credit the VX operated flight to AA. Can I still credit the AS flight to AA? Should I just open a VX FF account for that leg and hope to use those miles someday? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

t
Things can be credited on a per-leg basis.

I would suggest crediting the AS leg to AA, and the VX leg to AS (which I have to assume is possible). Of course, if you open a VX account and credit there, it'll all end up in the same place at some point.

We're going SJC-KOA-SJC in F over Thanksgiving. Outbound wasn't bad, but return is hella pricy. AS operated, crediting to AA.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Originally Posted by brp
Things can be credited on a per-leg basis.

I would suggest crediting the AS leg to AA, and the VX leg to AS (which I have to assume is possible). Of course, if you open a VX account and credit there, it'll all end up in the same place at some point.

We're going SJC-KOA-SJC in F over Thanksgiving. Outbound wasn't bad, but return is hella pricy. AS operated, crediting to AA.

Cheers.
Thank you. If I book this flight, that is what I will do. There is one more option that I am seeing. There are, relatively speaking, a few decent fares in J for LAX-HNL-ORD on DL. I can get ORD-LAX one way without paying up too much. As soon as I change HNL to OGG however, where I actually want to be, the price jumps by about 4 times the value of the HNL-OGG-HNL ticket. I'm not sure if that is because I'm searching Google Flights for "Business", and these cheap inter-island flights are somehow excluded. Would Delta be able to add HNL-OGG-HNL to my itinerary in economy? I could buy HNL-OGG-HNL myself for not much money, but if there is some problem, and the HNL-OGG leg is delayed on the return, I would like have some protection for the 4 business tickets I'm buying.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Currently, VX points can be converted to AS miles at a 1.3 ratio (one VX point = 1.3 AS miles). I assume that conversion rate will hold true until the end of this year when VX Elevate disappears and all VX points are "auto" converted.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EP
U are joking right?

Originally Posted by brp
I book us with AA numbers to get preferred seats, then change to AS at the gate for AS earning on the shorter flights where we don't need the AA EQM/EQD.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:40 am
cxn

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
U are joking right?
I thought this is how all the cool kids do it!
Old May 27, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
CAREFUL: System will automatically move you out of preferred seats if you are not at least MVP, should be okay if you are already checked in, gate agent overrides system.

As SAN has become a focus city for AS, I am able to fly them enough to earn MVP status, find AS miles are worth MUCH more than AA these days...
Old May 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
CAREFUL: System will automatically move you out of preferred seats if you are not at least MVP, should be okay if you are already checked in, gate agent overrides system.
I trust brp is already checked in by the time he's at the gate. And I don't think the system moves seats around by the time the flight's under gate agent control.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Elite Benefits on AS - Book AS or AA Codeshare

Here is the situation.

I need to fly from SEA-DEN, but all the directs are on AS metal. I don't want to spend an extra 3+ hours to connect somewhere like PHX or LAX.

I am AA CK and will likely book non-refundable first (P), since I dont think either way I get upgraded. Which I find odd since AS elites get UPGs on AA Metal.

Do I get my benefits if I book AS directly or only if I book it as an AA codeshare flight?
Which would be better from an EQD/EQM perspective?

If there is a wiki on this I apologize but the front page of this forum is littered with Wiki's and stickys and I didn't see anything related to AS.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Which additionally benefits are you asking about? I believe most of it would be covered from buying first anyways?

Based off of Alaska and AA earnings charts, you would get a bit less EQM booking the AS flight directly (1.5x EQM for AS vs. 2x EQM for AA codeshare). Regarding EQD, the AS ticket would be based off of mileage, so you would get .30 * 1024 = 307 EQD regardless of the price paid. The AA ticket would get the fare w/o taxes which you can normally see on the site when booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.