Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Preventing Miles Expiration for Canada / Canadian AAdvantage Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion

Hi, I'm a Canadian and I have a whole bunch of Aadvantage points that are subject to expire this November. I won't have occasion to fly on American or any of its partners before then.

In the past, I was able to prevent the miles from expiring by shopping through retail partners. But it looks like American has changed its retail program and it's now only open to Americans. The other co-offers, like donations and credit cards, all seem to be open to US residents only as well.

Any advice for the easiest/cheapest way to preserve my miles, that's open to us Canadians?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For general advice, see the FAQ entry and main thread below:

FAQ: How do I keep my miles from expiring?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Keywords: avoid avoiding prevent preventing miles mileage account expire expiration expiring non-US outside US

Last edited by dstan; Aug 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i guess magazine subscriptions are not allowed also?

can you call aa and ask for a list of ways y'all can use mi's?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Doesn't seem so, no.
And AA just points me to their page listing their partners. So far, all the offers that I've gone through have only been open to US residents.
I tried signing up for eShopping and for eDining, but both required valid US addresses.
Anyone have any ideas? Or am I just plain SOL?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
as a last resort, book a 1 way reward for 12.5k & cancel or pay the reinstatement fee....how about an ac membership?...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Does one have to be a U.S. resident to donate miles?
A donation of 1,000 miles (I think that's the minimum) should keep your account active.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I bought some flowers on aadvantage shopping in May and my address is in Canada.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Worst case, you can buy miles. Just buy the minimum amount
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Salfcl, did you get the flowers delivered to a US or a Canadian address? I haven't been able to figure out how to register for aadvantage shopping without a US address/zip code - how did you manage?

Redhead, even the minimum amount of miles to purchase has a $30 transaction fee and costs another $40 or so plus taxes. I'm trying to avoid spending that kind of money. But I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segacs
I tried signing up for eShopping and for eDining, but both required valid US addresses.
I don't know of a workaround for eShopping, but AAdvantage Dining (aa.rewardsnetwork.com) only wants your address for the purpose of sending you junk mail with restaurants "near" you. It doesn't use your address for any other purpose. So there's no problem signing up with a fake address in the US, and in fact that's how all Canadians who've signed up for it have done so. See post 4 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...usability.html

Unlike eShopping, the credit card number(s) you give to AAdvantage Dining aren't used by them for billing (in fact, you only give the number itself, not the expiration, not the name on the card), only for tracking dines you pay for at participating restaurants with any of those cards. That's why it doesn't matter much whether the address you register with is real or fake.

Furthermore, AAdvantage Dining miles post much quicker and much more reliably than AAdvantage eShopping miles. Typically, you'll see AAdvantage Dining miles post in two steps: Within a few days after the dine to the AAdvantage Dining website, and then within a week and a half after that to aa.com.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Good to know! There seem to be quite a few restaurants in my neighbourhood that I actually eat at once in a while, so signing up for the dining program might be the easiest solution. Thanks for that, sdsearch!

ETA: I was wrong; there's actually very few restaurants in my city, and most of them are fairly out of the way for me. Not sure I'll get to any within the next 30 days or so, but I can give it a try. Meanwhile, still keeping my eyes open for other options.

Last edited by segacs; Aug 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Life Gold 1 MM, Flying Blue Silver, Marriott Life Plt, Hilton Gld
I 've been participating in AARewardsNetwork dining for years and I live in Canada. I remember explicitly calling rewards network and they fixed my address even though the AAdining site doesn't support a non-US address.
Unfortunately, I have noticed the shrinking list of restaurants lately from more than 5 pages at one point to less than a page. But the options are still there.
I have recently signed up for AAeshopping and it is working well.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: Various
How about points.com for small transfers from other Hotel/Air mileage programs?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
credit card

Originally Posted by segacs
Hi, I'm a Canadian and I have a whole bunch of Aadvantage points that are subject to expire this November. I won't have occasion to fly on American or any of its partners before then.

In the past, I was able to prevent the miles from expiring by shopping through retail partners. But it looks like American has changed its retail program and it's now only open to Americans. The other co-offers, like donations and credit cards, all seem to be open to US residents only as well.

Any advice for the easiest/cheapest way to preserve my miles, that's open to us Canadians?
TD AADVANTAGE VISA card in CANADA.

Michael
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Redhead
Worst case, you can buy miles. Just buy the minimum amount
1000 miles $27.50. Problem solved ^
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
1000 miles $27.50. Problem solved ^
Except... a bit more expensive than that.

* Prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include applicable taxes or $30 per transaction processing fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.