Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We will probably merge this into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html (link).

I highly recommend reading the Wikiposts at the top of the page and threads 3Cforme suggested to you.

/Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What's even worse than no availability is pages of connections with the TATL in economy, and a short segment in first/business.

I also noticed an issue with ExpertFlyer. It shows a connection through madrid as available in business all the way through, but checking BA and AA, it's clear that the TATL isn't in business.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by beachfan
I also noticed an issue with ExpertFlyer. It shows a connection through madrid as available in business all the way through, but checking BA and AA, it's clear that the TATL isn't in business.
So who's data is accurate--EF or the airlines?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:47 pm

In my limited experience the best use of mileage is to the Middle East/Asia flying on partner airlines (Etihad, Qatar, Cathay, JAL). Much better availability and minimal surcharges
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by beachfan
What's even worse than no availability is pages of connections with the TATL in economy, and a short segment in first/business.

Can you give more details - origin and destination and date
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by omaralt
In my limited experience the best use of mileage is to the Middle East/Asia flying on partner airlines (Etihad, Qatar, Cathay, JAL). Much better availability and minimal surcharges
Agreed,

I have given up a few years ago on flying to Europe on award tickets with Delta and AA miles.

I use mine to Asia now in J or F on partners and have had some amazing experiences.

Plus I feel its a better value now as some of the flights are 15hrs.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Ugh, , was looking to fly PVD-DCA middle of July, 60k miles for Y, or $189 r/t cash.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ellinj
Ugh, , was looking to fly PVD-DCA middle of July, 60k miles for Y, or $189 r/t cash.
There's tons of availability on that route in mid-July at the 7.5k mile level.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm assuming you mean business? Flying coach on Saaver isn't that difficult IME, unless mid-summer, if you're targeting the AA metal cities: MAD, BCN, CDG, ZRH, FCO, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Can you give more details - origin and destination and date
IB 8754 on 5/23/18 MAD-NCE doesn't sow availability on EF but is available on ba.com. Same thing the night before, but I snagged those, so they aren't available there.

Maybe because that leg is Air Nostrum?

(I know this is a different issue than I commented on before).

Last edited by beachfan; Jun 25, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:39 am

Options

Perhaps the wrong thread for this, but I was originally on an all AA flights for BCN/PHL/PHX/TUS in economy saver. I now see the options with BA for

Business
57.5k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 289 LHR/PHX
AA 5928 PHX/TUS

First
85k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 297 LHR/ORD
AA 2636 ORD/TUS

It is worth flying first class LHR/ORD? It appears that LHR/PHX business is not lie flat.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kajukenbo
Perhaps the wrong thread for this, but I was originally on an all AA flights for BCN/PHL/PHX/TUS in economy saver. I now see the options with BA for

Business
57.5k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 289 LHR/PHX
AA 5928 PHX/TUS

First
85k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 297 LHR/ORD
AA 2636 ORD/TUS

It is worth flying first class LHR/ORD? It appears that LHR/PHX business is not lie flat.
BA's fleet is 100% lie-flat in business.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by kajukenbo

Business
57.5k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 289 LHR/PHX
AA 5928 PHX/TUS

First
85k + $332.86

BA 479 BCN/LHR
BA 297 LHR/ORD
AA 2636 ORD/TUS

It would be worth it flying BA F for me for a few reasons.
BA's J is not very good (old) and F is much better. Also, if you have enough time at LHR to experience the CR, it would be very nice. $332 fee is not too excessive (sometimes it's close to $1000 for F/J).
Use your useless AA miles as fast as you can - that is my mantra
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BA's fleet is 100% lie-flat in business.
The Exec Plat agent told me it was not lie flat, and from what I could find online it doesn't seem to be lie flat. All of which could be incorrect of course. It seems to be a Boeing 747-400 (quad-jet). Per BA,

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-world-seatmap

Is that a lie flat configuration? The icons for the seat seem to be different from the first class that show it laid out.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us.../first-seatmap

If it were in fact lie flat, I think that would be a better experience all the way to PHX, instead of having to spend a few hours on the ORD/TUS in AA first/business.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
It would be worth it flying BA F for me for a few reasons.
BA's J is not very good (old) and F is much better. Also, if you have enough time at LHR to experience the CR, it would be very nice. $332 fee is not too excessive (sometimes it's close to $1000 for F/J).
Use your useless AA miles as fast as you can - that is my mantra
I would land in LHR at 13:00 and depart for ORD at 16:05. It would be nice to experience the Concorde room as well as the spa. The miles don't bother me too much and I somewhat feel that if the fees are the same I should go for first and get a better value for the money. That being said, if the LHR/PHX business were lie flat, I'd rather do that with the short PHX/TUS hop versus the ORD/TUS flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.