Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming most people plan an swards International trip months in advance (likely vacation). Since AA no longer wants to give those seats away in advance hoping they will ultimately be sold they end up going out empty. Yes its frustrating. I remember being able to find J saver awards quite easily in years back.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
I remember when people in this forum would post admiringly about Asian carriers letting their J cabins go out half empty because it demonstrated "exclusivity."

Can't please everyone I guess.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm assuming most people plan an swards International trip months in advance (likely vacation). Since AA no longer wants to give those seats away in advance hoping they will ultimately be sold they end up going out empty. Yes its frustrating. I remember being able to find J saver awards quite easily in years back.
yes, a saver seat for a flight tomorrow might cause AA to lose a last minute full J fare from a small business owner or smart corporate travel manager. but, reframe the original post to mean why is AA not using its inventory management software, in the months leading up to the flight, to release more saver seats so that the flight doesn't depart with a half empty J cabin?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by rjw242
I remember when people in this forum would post admiringly about Asian carriers letting their J cabins go out half empty because it demonstrated "exclusivity."

Can't please everyone I guess.
that would be a fair comparison if AA delivered a product consistent with that of those carriers....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Out of curiosity, I looked at AA's site (aa.com) that shows award space availability. AA's chart for tonight shows zero saver awards. It also shows anytime redemptions for this flight (one-way) to be at 150,000 miles.

Why are there no business saver awards for this flight when there are so many empty business class seats? Why is the mileage requirement almost three times more than the saver award requirement, considering that there are so many empty seats?

Out of further curiosity, I checked the same flight number for tomorrow. The aa.com site shows 23 empty seats in business. The site also shows zero saver awards available.

With the AA site, it is possible to click a few more buttons and see availability for this itinerary for the remainder of the year. Doing so, shows zero saver awards for the entire remainder of the year. The mileage requirement for "anytime" awards range from 110,000 to 195,000 (one-way).
They seem to have decided to shut down the program.

I have never complained about program changes to date, but this is extreme. The decision is laid bare in the quote above. It's perfectly fine that they would rather sell seats than give them away, but now it's clear that they would obviously prefer the seats to go out empty. It doesn't take advanced inventory software to know that they're not going to sell 23 seats by tomorrow.

This is betrayal.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
On a recent international flight, I noticed that there were more than twenty empty business class seats when the aircraft departed.

-
Curious, were there upgrades available?

Wondering whether buying an economy ticket and then upgrading with miles is a viable strategy.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious, were there upgrades available?

Wondering whether buying an economy ticket and then upgrading with miles is a viable strategy.
I don't know about the previous flight. There were no upgrades available for tonight's flight when I checked this afternoon.

However, at the airport, check in agents were offering passengers, ticketed in coach, the chance to purchase a cash upgrade without redeeming miles.

Speaking of upgrades, I have had a System Wide Upgrade request waitlisted for several months without the upgrade clearing although AA's site shows that the J cabin has filled less than twelve seats.

A similar thing happened last February with a SWU request. That upgrade did not clear until the day of the flight although there were more than twenty empty seats in J.

Considering that AA cut our SWUs in half during the current year, together with not clearing SWUs until the last day, together with blocking saver awards, one has to wonder why AA is giving its loyalty customer base such shabby treatment.

-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Apr 23, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Considering that AA cut our SWUs in half during the current year, together with not clearing SWUs until the last day, together with blocking saver awards, one has to wonder why AA is giving its loyalty customer base such shabby treatment.
Cutting available seats by a third, for example, would be shabby treatment. In the example above, saying that not one seat has been made available for the entire rest of the year, goes beyond "shabby treatment."
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Cutting available seats by a third, for example, would be shabby treatment. In the example above, saying that not one seat has been made available for the entire rest of the year, goes beyond "shabby treatment."
Yes, it goes beyond shabby treatment. I was being kind.

Many other posters have reported this same problem. Check aa.com and it is possible to see the lack of available saver seats for the rest of this year (plus a little into year 2018). You will find virtually ZERO saver award tickets available.

The loyalty program is currently working with a flawed business plan. AA most likely had good intentions when they decided on the devaluations. However, it does not take a genius to see what will happen to AA's customer base over the long term.

A major fallout to AA blocking the saver awards and raising the mileage required for a one-way "anytime" business ticket ranging from 110,000 miles to as much as 195,000 is a situation that adversely affects the relationship AA has with Citibank and Barclay Bank.

Those two banks paid AA millions of dollars to buy miles from AA to give to credit card customers. Because of the devaluation of the loyalty program, bank credit card customers have markedly stopped using the AA sponsored credit cards, are canceling their existing credit cards and/or are not signing up for new credit cards despite the fact the new cards are heavily (and falsely) advertised. AA's financial statement for the first quarter of this year already shows a loss related to the over zealous number of "new" credit card holders AA would stimulate for those two banks.

If you look at the ads for those credit cards or if you hear the card being advertised on an AA flight, you will assume that the miles from the credit card can reasonably be redeemed for a flight ticket.

Remember that AA has intentionally blocked most of its saver award tickets. Considering that fact, often a customer needs up to 195,000 miles for a one-way business class ticket in AA. How much money would a customer need to spend on those credit cards to get a flight ticket? Gads, $195,000.00 for a one-way ticket in business class.

My calling the devaluation - Shabby treatment - really was being kind.

-
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Aadvantage USDividends
Originally Posted by Happy
Use partner airlines. But the F price is steep though.

One seat in F is aplenty. Many many dates available, between Jan and Feb.
Two seats in J are still available though the options are less, but are available.

Gone is the days when F was very hard to book in advance due to the now steep price.
Even J isn't that difficult. You have to thank the inequality in the seats AS could see versus AA could see. There are lots of JL seats, somewhat less so for CX seats but they ARE available for both Jan and Feb. No need to hit the 330 days the min it opens.

Thanks all. I can look for JL seats through the Qantas or BA sites, correct? It appears AA's site will only show AA and AS nowadays?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aadvantage USDividends
Nevermind.. I see the 8 airlines that you can search through the AA site. JL and CX are not included however.

I apologize for my newbieness!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tytherby
Thanks all. I can look for JL seats through the Qantas or BA sites, correct? It appears AA's site will only show AA and AS nowadays?
Sing up for BA avios account and you can view JL inventory and CX.

Use EF for IB inventory.

All three have availability. AA has sunk to low levels I've never seen in a loyalty program.

Hey AA: I hope your cheapness and lack of appreciation of your elite flyers comes to kick you in the butt some day.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
They seem to have decided to shut down the program.

I have never complained about program changes to date, but this is extreme. The decision is laid bare in the quote above. It's perfectly fine that they would rather sell seats than give them away, but now it's clear that they would obviously prefer the seats to go out empty. It doesn't take advanced inventory software to know that they're not going to sell 23 seats by tomorrow.

This is betrayal.

I do agree I do feel betrayed by American Airlines... reducing System Wide Upgrades from 8 to 4 and now this! I have already made it a point... this is the last year I will buy a ticket on American Airlines, I simply just do not identify with this company any more. It has really become anti-consumer, profit at any cost. I will drain my points in 2018 and forward if I ever get a chance to use them.

The changes have been too extreme.

What I'll miss most is access to the LaTam VIP Lounge at GRU and SCL.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tytherby
The best place to look for JL seats is on JL web site. The availability is always accurate.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I have already switched to primarily using United and Southwest. I have 300k+ AA miles that cannot be used out of my airport because no awards are available at saver level through 2018 except the occasional Tuesday/Wednesday flight. I do however have great availability for booking award flights with United at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.