Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
One positive for aadvantage has been the ability to churn Citi credit cards for miles. I had thought it was harder to get miles for UA, DL, etc. Are there similar opportunities?
I feel like that's (maybe a small) part of the reason these premium award seats are so hard to find these days. You've got a lot more people out there with 6-7 figure AAdvantage account balances, all looking to redeem them for premium awards they would never be able to afford otherwise. I'm not saying that AA revenue management isn't releasing a record low number of seats, but the increased competition for those fewer seats sure isn't helping anything.

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
I've had great luck with international sAAVer availability in coach for my family of four. These bonuses are key to our summer vacations.
Exactly. While economy redemptions aren't as good as they once were, it's really the premium awards that are suffering. There aren't many international routes that I haven't seen at least some coach availability for on most days.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by bobert24
I feel like that's (maybe a small) part of the reason these premium award seats are so hard to find these days. You've got a lot more people out there with 6-7 figure AAdvantage account balances, all looking to redeem them for premium awards they would never be able to afford otherwise.
econ 101, supply and demand. Look at UA, after their deval 3 years ago, premium partner awards are far easier to get. Even UA metal is not too bad even though they weren't devaled as bad.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:24 am

Credit card churning for AA miles has pretty much disappeared, AA devalued rather severely and award travel has also been cut back severely. There's more than pure market supply and demand here. AA made a business decision to cut back.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Credit card churning for AA miles has pretty much disappeared, AA devalued rather severely and award travel has also been cut back severely. There's more than pure market supply and demand here. AA made a business decision to cut back.
Yet they still continue to hack' em off on every flights 45 minutes before landing.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Exactly.
I had no problem ALWAYS finding premium awards at T-330 even during the height of churning days.
The problem started during bankruptcy and got worse under US management - as richarddd said - a "business decision".
I hope it comes back and bites them in the behind
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
In my experience, what often happens is that there might be several seats available, but as soon as someone books 1 or 2 seats, all the seats disappear.

I agree MIA is one of the harder, if not the hardest, gateways to find seats on LATAM.
Isn't Miami the only gateway city for LATAM? AS I would be originating in Kansas City, that's the easiest for me to get to with only 1 connection in DFW or ORD.
Where else does LATAM fly to SCL and EZE from if they do?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by susiesan
Isn't Miami the only gateway city for LATAM? AS I would be originating in Kansas City, that's the easiest for me to get to with only 1 connection in DFW or ORD.
They also fly out of JFK, LAX, DC & MCO (most with connections in Lima, Sao Paolo & others)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit card churning for AA miles has pretty much disappeared
Not quite:
Read recent posts (and/or the descriptions of the links in the wiki) carefully.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by susiesan
Originally Posted by Paulchili
They also fly out of JFK, LAX, DC & MCO (most with connections in Lima, Sao Paolo & others)
As Paulchili notes, LATAM flies out of JFK (to LIM, SCL, GRU and GIG), LAX (to LIM and SCL), IAD (to LIM), and MCO (to LIM--note there is only Y on this flight--and to GRU). In addition, I have also been able to route through MEX.

Note also that for business class, it is cheaper if you add a connection in LIM because NA-SA1 award plus a SA1-SA2 award totals less than a NA-SA2 award. Below are just some of the possibilities for getting to SCL/EZE:

MCI-LAX-SCL(-EZE) (57.5k)
MCI-LAX-LIM-SCL/EZE (55K -- but make sure the LAX-LIM and LIM-SCL flights are different flight numbers)
MCI-DFW/ORD-JFK-SCL(-EZE) (57.5k)
MCI-DFW/PHX-JFK-LIM-SCL/EZE (55k)
MCI-DFW/PHX-MEX-LIM-SCL/EZE (55k)
MCI-DFW/PHX-MEX-GRU-SCL/EZE (57.5k)

These are just the (somewhat less convoluted) routings that come to mind immediately. So you see-- there are actually a number of possibilities to get to South America.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:36 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I just did a quick search as I'm GRU based for haha's GRU-LAX/NYC/DFW/MIA has ONE saver date in C and 2 in F for their entire schedule...both dates are this weekend. I assume this is the norm...I'll use BA to check LATAM availability as I assume it will be vastly better.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I just did a quick search as I'm GRU based for haha's GRU-LAX/NYC/DFW/MIA has ONE saver date in C and 2 in F for their entire schedule...both dates are this weekend. I assume this is the norm...I'll use BA to check LATAM availability as I assume it will be vastly better.
I just did a search of MIA-CDG through EOS. There's 2 saaver J seat available tomorrow then nothing. Is AA starting to release more award space close-in? I don't recall any previous data points on AA releasing any close-in award space a la CX?

I'm in way over my head but maybe this is somehow related to the last few posts of the recoding of domestic F to J thread?

Thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27743140
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I just did a search of MIA-CDG through EOS. There's 2 saaver J seat available tomorrow then nothing. Is AA starting to release more award space close-in? I don't recall any previous data points on AA releasing any close-in award space a la CX?

I'm in way over my head but maybe this is somehow related to the last few posts of the recoding of domestic F to J thread?

Thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27743140
Wow interesting ... I will say though that CDG is no LHR. I remember last year also seeing scattered premium saaver space to CDG. More interesting to me at least is that there's U space but no C space!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow interesting ... I will say though that CDG is no LHR. I remember last year also seeing scattered premium saaver space to CDG. More interesting to me at least is that there's U space but no C space!
Agreed on CDG. Non-hub-to-hub nonstops are usually easier in my limited experience. Specifically chose a European nonstop to filter out BA space.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:57 am

Using AA miles in 2017

I over-accumulated AA miles for our first class trip to HKG last year, so I'm left with a bunch of them and wondering if they can be used at all. With the unfortunate situation of premium award space that I'm hearing about, what would be the best way to use AA miles for premium travel? I assume partner redemptions are probably the way to go, but which ones have the better award availability?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
I over-accumulated AA miles for our first class trip to HKG last year, so I'm left with a bunch of them and wondering if they can be used at all. With the unfortunate situation of premium award space that I'm hearing about, what would be the best way to use AA miles for premium travel? I assume partner redemptions are probably the way to go, but which ones have the better award availability?
Which airlines have better award availability varies with the destination, the date of travel, and how far out you're booking, and how many seats you need.

For example, to South Africa from the USA, QR may have have J availability (at least) at exactly 330 days out but on Mon-Thu departures only. If you can only travel on Fri-Sun departures, QR has no availability for you.

So that's why you have to do the search yourself (or else hire an award travel consultant service), to see what's actually available for the trip you want to do. (Plus you have to understand AA's routing rules on top of that, to know whether it will be one award or two. There are destinations that need one award across the Atlantic but two awards across the Pacific, and then there are destinations that need one award across the Pacific but two awards across the Atlantic, and then there are some even more specific routing rules for some destinations.)

You can search on other oneworld airline sites for those partners that don't show up on aa.com, or for convenience you can use Award Nexus (www.awardnexus.com), for which you can sign up for free as a FlyerTalk member (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button), and where you can search through both BA and/or QF for oneworld availability with a single easy consistent user interface. The results will also show more clearly (than any airline site I've seen to date) which flights are 100% in the cabin you asked for and what percentage of each flights is in the cabin you asked for (if it's less than 100%), and by default it sorts the flights which are 100% in the cabin you asked for at the top.

For the routing rules, see this thread:
starting with its comprehensive wikipost (which includes a section on "routing rules", but covers lots of other stuff too).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.