Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
JFK and EWR are serving the same city
I won't even dignify that (I guess I just did by responding) - but that's ridiculous.

And ok even if JL remains available - that's one partner as opposed to infinitely more options with Star.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:06 pm

One positive for aadvantage has been the ability to churn Citi credit cards for miles. I had thought it was harder to get miles for UA, DL, etc. Are there similar opportunities?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by richarddd
One positive for aadvantage has been the ability to churn Citi credit cards for miles. I had thought it was harder to get miles for UA, DL, etc. Are there similar opportunities?
Hard to beat Chase Reserve card with 100K sign up bonus and 3 points/$ for travel and dining
Offer for online application for Reserve card expires 1/12.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Hard to beat Chase Reserve card with 100K sign up bonus and 3 points/$ for travel and dining
Offer for online application for Reserve card expires 1/12.
Yes, but that's a one time offer. It used to be possible to get multiple Citi 25k or 50k signup bonuses per year.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Yes, but that's a one time offer. It used to be possible to get multiple Citi 25k or 50k signup bonuses per year.
And now it's not, making the CSR by far the best travel rewards card out there. By a mile. AA's partners can't come even close.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by no1cub17
And now it's not, making the CSR by far the best travel rewards card out there. By a mile. AA's partners can't come even close.
combine with freedom unlimited for non-category spend?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
combine with freedom unlimited for non-category spend?
Other than a one-time bonus, accruing significant miles with DL or UA requires significant spending (if you're not flying a lot)?

I agree that CSR is the best travel rewards card out there.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
A lot of things "used to be" - including getting AA premium awards with regularity (and at lower rates)
You cannot churn Citi cards any more and even if you could - what would you do with those miles?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I don't really accrue AA (since most everything in that side goes in the AS bucket), but I come up with a few thousand a year or so (car rentals when a good bonus is going on, dining, random stuff). It would take a long time to get enough miles for J TATL/TPAC, but hey, a free ticket one way every few years as "money for nothing"... OK.

So I redeemed (originally) MIA-LAX(AA 77W)-SEA(AS) coming home from a cruise because "well, why not, at this rate I'd have a J ticket somewhere sometime in 2020 or so". One schedule change later, it became MIA-TPA(AA)-SEA(AS).

Then I decided to stay in Miami with friends at a pool for the day waiting for a flight, and it occurred to me that with AS status I could help get rum home for us by checking luggage for free. Checked for the trip (10 days out). Oh look, there's Y. Oh look, program rules are free changes with destination and origin staying the same. Ring ring, talk to CS, ticket changes easy as pie, I even get MCE as AS MVPG.

So I feel the pain about premium cabins longhaul being bone-dry a lot of the time (I can see that searching on alaskaair.com or aa.com, though I DID fly home from DUS on AA in J last summer), but the program still has some use, I guess. It was nice to see AA inventory available close in (within two weeks of travel).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Other than a one-time bonus, accruing significant miles with DL or UA requires significant spending (if you're not flying a lot)?
chase ink 5x at office supply stores means certain spend can earn a lot of points by buying gift cards. i have redeemed well over 1MM UA miles this way, and that's not including chase UR transferred to other partners. Even post UA deval, UA awards have been good to me.

sadly this might be coming to an end as the ink preferred shows.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
A lot of things "used to be" - including getting AA premium awards with regularity (and at lower rates)
You cannot churn Citi cards any more and even if you could - what would you do with those miles?
My problem is that my collection of AA miles is now virtually useless given the lack of premium saver awards and that there's no good way for me to accrue enough miles on other airlines to pay for multiple premium awards per year.

I have been seeing AA metal J availability JFK-LHR, but only for same day travel, which makes planning a bit difficult.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:32 pm

While Citi has cracked down, it's still possible to get multiple AA cards if you look hard enough. There is a link floating around that does NOT have the 24 month wording for the AAdvantage Plat Select Mastercard. I signed up for one 12/17, and again on 12/29, and both bonuses are confirmed by CSRs. Combine that with a SM asking to get matched to a "60k offer that I saw online" and the AAviator card, in about 3 weeks I've gotten 160k of AA miles on $6100 spend.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shimps1
While Citi has cracked down, it's still possible to get multiple AA cards if you look hard enough. There is a link floating around that does NOT have the 24 month wording for the AAdvantage Plat Select Mastercard. I signed up for one 12/17, and again on 12/29, and both bonuses are confirmed by CSRs. Combine that with a SM asking to get matched to a "60k offer that I saw online" and the AAviator card, in about 3 weeks I've gotten 160k of AA miles on $6100 spend.
thanks for the tip, found the thread on reddit (LINK), applied and was approved.

looks like the 50k bonus will go thru even though I currently hold two Citi AA cards. I've had great luck with international sAAVer availability in coach for my family of four. These bonuses are key to our summer vacations.

Question: what's an SM?

Last edited by oysterhead43; Jan 10, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
thanks for the tip, found the thread on reddit (LINK), applied and was approved.

looks like the 50k bonus will go thru even though I currently hold two Citi AA cards. I've had great luck with international sAAVer availability in coach for my family of four. These bonuses are key to our summer vacations.

Question: what's an SM?
secure message
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping the SPG-UA transfer ratio becomes more favorable. Accumulated a $hitload of SPG points with intention to transfer to AA, but invariably they'll be going to other partners at this point. I know I can use MR as an intermediary but MR-UA transfers take way too long.
I have my doubts that SPG transfer ratios will change in the next year or so, given the SPG will go away as such not much longer after that. And then it depends on whether "Marrwood" ends up partnering with UA (as Marriott currently does) or DL (as SPG currently does) as to which one of those is likely to have a "better" transfer ratio from "Marrwood". (The current Marriott->UA "better" transfer ratio is very tied to its tie-up with UA on various things including elite status. It didn't exist before that tie-up.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.