Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Oh man - not just Oz, but domestically, Asia, Europe - UA and Star award availability is so much better it's not even funny. Sure UA charges 80K miles one-way SE Asia-US vs 70K AA - but UA has 10x the number of partners and 100x the available award space in advance. With AA you either get extraordinarily lucky or compete with everyone else for those last-second CX seats, and those may be going away at some point so then we'll be totally SOL. Don't have too much flying planned yet but a UA status challenge doesn't seem like a terrible idea at this point.
I'm currently pleading with UA to take me back. I don't expect them to extend my 1K status but a plat challenge would do it.

AA's mileage saver in J redemption is pitiful.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm currently pleading with UA to take me back. I don't expect them to extend my 1K status but a plat challenge would do it.
For any others that might be so-inclined:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...omoCode=TB8230
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
With AA you either get extraordinarily lucky or compete with everyone else for those last-second CX seats, and those may be going away at some point so then we'll be totally SOL.
product differences aside, premium JL availability is still ok and flies to more NA cities than CX
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
product differences aside, premium JL availability is still ok and flies to more NA cities than CX
But can I fly JL to London? LOL

phx-lax-nrt-lhr??

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But can I fly JL to London? LOL

phx-lax-nrt-lhr??

Well speaking of which, UA also allows you to route to Asia via Europe, something a no-no with AA
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well speaking of which, UA also allows you to route to Asia via Europe, something a no-no with AA
Huh? No dice. I tried to fly lhr-fra-nrt-lax on LH/ANA but UA considered two separate awards. Perhaps things have changed.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? No dice. I tried to fly lhr-fra-nrt-lax on LH/ANA but UA considered two separate awards. Perhaps things have changed.
thats europe to US via asia. I said asia to US via europe

You can easily book HND/NRT-FRA-US
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
thats europe to US via asia. I said asia to US via europe

You can easily book HND/NRT-FRA-US
Also US to OZ via Asia - single award with UA, 2 awards with AA
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:31 am

FWIW, I'm consistently seeing J seats on AA metal to Europe open up 2-3 days out for the past week or so. For example, in the next couple of days I see at least 2 J seats on AA flights DFW & CLT-LHR, DFW-FRA, MIA & PHL-CDG, etc. So if you're like me and have an upcoming trip already booked with a crappy routing, maybe you'll at least be able to get a better route & schedule/switch off some BA flights/whatever you may need.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely agree-- it's no longer even remotely close between AA and UA award-availability-wise.

If there was a kosher way to trade AA miles for UA miles even at a 30% loss or more, I'd **jump** at the chance (obviously AC miles and maybe a couple of other *alliance programs even more so!)
I'm hoping the SPG-UA transfer ratio becomes more favorable. Accumulated a $hitload of SPG points with intention to transfer to AA, but invariably they'll be going to other partners at this point. I know I can use MR as an intermediary but MR-UA transfers take way too long.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Also US to OZ via Asia - single award with UA, 2 awards with AA
Hell - UA even allows Europe-US via IST if I'm not mistaken. And TK awards have always been plentiful, even moreso given the recent events there.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:45 am

you sure? For JL I have ORD, LAX, DFW, SFO, BOS, SAN, YVR, JFK. For CX I have LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ, ORD, BOS, JFK, EWR. I may be off but not that huge a difference IMO. And CX is far superior in terms of frequencies - both to NA and connections in Asia/beyond. JL's split NRT/HND ops have always hurt them IMO.

Last edited by no1cub17; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:48 am

Hell - UA even allows Europe-US via IST if I'm not mistaken. And TK awards have always been plentiful, even moreso given the recent events there.
Yes they do.
Summer of 2015 we did SFO-IST-LHR in J (4 people!! - try to find that on AA) with a just under 24 hr stay in IST.
Enough to see IST hilites for 2 first time visitors to IST.
And TK J beats LH J (in A380) hands down - in every respect - IMO.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
FWIW, I'm consistently seeing J seats on AA metal to Europe open up 2-3 days out for the past week or so. For example, in the next couple of days I see at least 2 J seats on AA flights DFW & CLT-LHR, DFW-FRA, MIA & PHL-CDG, etc. So if you're like me and have an upcoming trip already booked with a crappy routing, maybe you'll at least be able to get a better route & schedule/switch off some BA flights/whatever you may need.
Like you say - it works IF you already have a trip planned with a poor routing.
I cannot and will not plan my vacations hoping that awards open a few days before my trip.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you sure? For JL I have ORD, LAX, DFW, SFO, BOS, SAN, YVR, JFK. For CX I have LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ, ORD, BOS, JFK, EWR. I may be off but not that huge a difference IMO.
JFK and EWR are serving the same city

CX has YYZ while JL has SAN and DFW, the latter is a AA hub.
And CX is far superior in terms of frequencies - both to NA and in terms of connections.
I agree with that. My overall point is that I seems it's easier to find JL award seats , esp if you are looking for F, 8 seats vs 6 seats. Even if the CX spigot gets fully closed, JL is still doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.