Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Went through this AM at JFK around 4:30. Two long screening lines otherwise. I was getting some serious dirty looks as I made my way through the crowd to the Pre Check Lane.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Went through this AM at JFK around 4:30. Two long screening lines otherwise. I was getting some serious dirty looks as I made my way through the crowd to the Pre Check Lane.
Serious dirty looks from TSA or New Yorkers?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Hah, hah, isn't it great!

I still remember the best dirty looks I ever got. It was in MSY, several years ago. Thanks to FT, I knew there was a FC security line, even though it was very poorly marked. Showed up at the security check point and the line stretched down the hall by about 200 feet. I kept to the right of the line and kept walking down the hall, past all the waiting pax. Eventually, about 40 feet from the checkpoint, there was a small "first class" sign against an unopened storefront. "OK, maybe there really is one" I thought. I went a bit further and could start to hear grumblings from the line. 'got to the front and one TSA guy yells "sir, where are you going?". I answered, "is this the First Class line?". He says, "yea, right through here". More grumbling from the line, plus about 40 people who were waiting in it leave the line, and follow the path I just took. 'gotta luv FT.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Serious dirty looks from TSA or New Yorkers?
I assumed he meant from other passengers, generally the TSA people are pretty pleasent when you're going through pre-check since they don't have to do much. I've noticed glares from other passengers every time I've been through the pre-check line(s), but that may also be compounded by the fact that I'm fairly young...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Did JFK Precheck at 9:15am - no one on the premium line at all - I walked right up. Beep, Beep, Beep - sir, please step this way. Was done with Security in less than 30 seconds. Absolute pleasure. Please let LGA be next.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP , Avis Presidents Club, Marriot Titanium
Just got my first LLL at C30 in DFW. So excited I forgot to take out my cell phone and had to go back and run it. Security line was long. Probably saved my 20 minutes.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Aaron01
I assumed he meant from other passengers, generally the TSA people are pretty pleasent when you're going through pre-check since they don't have to do much. I've noticed glares from other passengers every time I've been through the pre-check line(s), but that may also be compounded by the fact that I'm fairly young...
From the paxs. One guy did not seem to want to step aside because he presumed I was butting the line. It seems the TSA workers on the TT screening are as happy as the paxs going through it.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:07 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by BrassGuru
Just got my first LLL at C30 in DFW. So excited I forgot to take out my cell phone and had to go back and run it. Security line was long. Probably saved my 20 minutes.
We must've arrived at DFW around the same time. Did the same, but remembered to take off my metal objects. The guy ahead of me wasn't as fortunate and had to get his hands tested.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by anaaflyer

The ORD lane will be at checkpoint 8 (First Class) at AA Terminal 3.
Turns out I'll be going through ORD security early on 3/20. Any updates on this? Good to go as far as anyone knows?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Back on track - got the TT yesterday in MIA, so I'm now 5/12. Have another flight booked for Sunday and then flying out of LAS on Tuesday, hope the good tidings continue.
5/13 now at MIA, no love last night.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Turns out I'll be going through ORD security early on 3/20. Any updates on this? Good to go as far as anyone knows?
If you are early, you may be out of luck. Rumor is the start up will be around noon on Tuesday.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
If you are early, you may be out of luck. Rumor is the start up will be around noon on Tuesday.
#%!! It's a 10:00 flight. Thanks for the rumor, though.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

Where did you see that? I have a 9:30 AM and was looking forward to checking it out at ORD tommorow
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:44 pm
Original Member

So have any of you gone through this with groups? Wife, son and I are traveling on Saturday. We are all on separate locators. If mine is scanned first and I am cleared and they are not, I assume they would be sent to the regular line (which means I would also be using the regular line with them since they would need help through security)?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
So have any of you gone through this with groups? Wife, son and I are traveling on Saturday. We are all on separate locators. If mine is scanned first and I am cleared and they are not, I assume they would be sent to the regular line (which means I would also be using the regular line with them since they would need help through security)?
I asked about this a couple pages back. You would be allowed to go through, your non-TT family would not. You'll probably get the option of going through regular security with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.