Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Received emails/invitations about this from both AA and DL, by the way.
Same, and I'm just a lowly AA Plat and DL GM. I don't have GE or Nexus, and never have DFW, MIA, ATL, or DTW as my destinations. I think the invitation was just sent to all mid-tier (~50k miles/year) flyers on both airlines.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Got an email from AA but not DL. If I qualify via AA I wonder if that will let me use it when flying DL out of DTW.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Stripe
Got an email from AA but not DL. If I qualify via AA I wonder if that will let me use it when flying DL out of DTW.
Yes. If you read the program FAQ a few posts above, either airline will essentially submit your info to the tsa and then they will insert a "yes" or "no" into your barcode. But you as a passenger will not know until the last second what you are.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: EXP- finally
Originally Posted by RachelG
Multiple datapoints:

Husband and I are both Plt (lifetime) and both GE. Fly through DFW frequently but rarely originate there, fly through MIA maybe once a year but never originate there--both got the email.

Son #1--Advantage member but no status currently, has highest security clearance by US gov (is in intell in military), flies frequently with Delta, no GE--no email

Son #2--AA gold, no GE--no email.
1 EXP 1 PLT, both GE both got emails. The adult children + spouses/girlfriends (5) all AA FF, non status, no emails. We will sign up if allowed. We travel through DFW and MIA, rarely originate there, however, I can see coming back from Europe, Asia, or S.A., do GE, 5 minutes through that line, then another 5 minutes in domestic security, that will work for me. We both have previous background checks with the FBI and SS (i mean that in a good way), so we already know THEY know our shoe size etc. I think facebook is a lot risker.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Unless I've missed it somewhere upthread, no GLDs have gotten the invite, only PLT & EXP.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by wesmanz
It seems it almost defeats the purpose then. I find the waiting in the ticket checking line, even w/ Priority Access takes the bulk of the time at security. I travel out of DFW and the lines are sometimes long, but once you clear the TSA ticket checker , there are seldom more than 3-4 people in any given line to continue through security.

--wes
Yeah. And the ticket check line is slow because they are waiting for the scanners to finish checking the people ahead. There needs to be a bypass line just like Global Entry.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I just got an email from Customs and Border Patrol...doesn't provide much info at all (shocker, I know... )...

We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP’s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

Additional information will be sent out prior to the pilot’s implementation, explaining more about the program and the necessary steps you will need to take in order to participate.

For more information and the latest updates, please visit www.tsa.gov or contact TSA at (866)289-9673.

Additionally, CBP would like to announce the availability of Global Entry kiosks at select Canadian preclearance locations. Global Entry kiosks are now available at CBP preclearance at the Vancouver International Airport and at Ottawa’s MacDonald-Cartier Airport. Global Entry kiosks will be placed at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport and at Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport by September 2011. The placement of Global Entry kiosks at Canadian preclearance locations is the next step in the integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs.

The integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS programs began in December 2010, when CBP published a Federal Register Notice announcing that NEXUS members could participate in Global Entry. With the deployment of Global Entry kiosks to Canadian preclearance, Global Entry members will be able to take advantage of the program when returning home from Canada. NEXUS members will have the option of using either the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks in preclearance. Further announcements will be made as necessary.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:18 pm

I'm a PLT and go through DFW frequently, but no email. Anyone had any luck requesting it?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I have the GE card ($15),
but still no idea what expedited screening might mean.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by nall
I'm a PLT and go through DFW frequently, but no email. Anyone had any luck requesting it?
I fly through DFW a lot, too. In fact, going there in a few hours. I haven't received the email. I wonder if non-DFW/MIA based flyers will get invited or whether we can request to join.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
I just got an email from Customs and Border Patrol...doesn't provide much info at all (shocker, I know... )...
I got it too ^
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Various
There were two email messages sent. One called Trusted Traveler News and the other New Benefits for GE Members.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Request what?

You either have Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI...or you don't. (If you don't know what those programs are, then you're probably not part of the program. If you need more info, check Google, Customs & Border Patrol, or other existing threads on FT.)

And per the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm

You'll either get directed to an expedited screening line after your barcode is scanned...or you won't. That's about all we know about the program so far.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:44 pm

I was asking getting into the trusted traveller pilot program. Isn't that what this thread is about?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I was asking getting into the trusted traveller pilot program. Isn't that what this thread is about?
Yes, and there was nothing wrong with your question. Sometimes, respondents type before they think.

At this time, it seems that the program is by invite only, to members of Global Entry or PLTs and EXPs (and Delta elites).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.