Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Just came through LAX security, that was Great! Cut to front of ID check, shoes on, headphone in, computer in bag, breezed through dedicated X-ray, as reported NOS gone. Marvelous!
Awesome. Makes the prospect of an In-N-Out run much easier to swallow, pun intended .
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
99.9% of the traveling public are welcome to go through the Global Entry or Nexus application procedure and get TT privledges.

I didn't say that 99.9% were entitled to be in the program, rather than 99.9% were entitled to that level of screening because of the obscene affront current "regular" screening procedures are to civil rights.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Concierge Key, EXP, Gold Hilton, Titanium Elite Marriott
Departing from Miami, I have only been directed towards the special TSA TT Program line ONCE. It seems to be extremely sporadic at best.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
That is how it looked this morning -- as though anyone who could get to that part of the mezzanine could present themselves for screening in 4A. It would seem to make more sense to have the BP check outside the door, so that people who are not part of Pre-Check at all could be sent to another door, but that's not how the TSO I spoke with said it was going to be done.
Indeed, as of today there is a desk out in the corridor. Only people who actually get the expedited screening are being directed into 4A. Otherwise you are directed to the next room down the hall (which does have AIT machines).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Which diminishes the potential value of the system in that one still has to wait in the regular line for the BP checker.
Have you used the system yet?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Which diminishes the potential value of the system in that one still has to wait in the regular line for the BP checker.
Other than MIA and at times JFK, the line for the checker usually takes just a minute or two. The problem at MIA is that there are only two security lanes at the D25 entrances (3 with TT), which means the line for the checker is constantly backed up. JFK the TSA is just clueless at times, 5AM last Sunday there only two lanes opened and the PA Lane was closed.

I will get down and kiss the marble floor once TT comes to JFK.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I still can't figure out what would have been wrong with "present your GE card as ID and automatically be sent to TT lane with the possibility of being randomly selected for additional screening"? Too simple?
Are you GE or are you just asking abstractly?

What GE card? There's a Nexus card, but AFAIK there's no GE card. There's supposedly a sticker for your passport if you're GE only, if you're already Nexus supposedly that's good enough for GE now (though at DFW Immigration was might confused about that in early December after my kiosk printed an error message!).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by dayone
Have you used the system yet?
Yes.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What GE card? There's a Nexus card, but AFAIK there's no GE card.
There is a GE card. It is now given automatically to new enrollees and can be obtained for $15 by people who signed up earlier.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you GE or are you just asking abstractly?

What GE card? There's a Nexus card, but AFAIK there's no GE card. There's supposedly a sticker for your passport if you're GE only, if you're already Nexus supposedly that's good enough for GE now (though at DFW Immigration was might confused about that in early December after my kiosk printed an error message!).
There is a GE card, and it even has your picture on it. You know that time they ask you to look into the camera and they say "don't worry, it's just for internal use" ? Well, that's the picture they put on your card.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Yes.
Then you know that any wait is minimal.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Indeed, as of today there is a desk out in the corridor. Only people who actually get the expedited screening are being directed into 4A. Otherwise you are directed to the next room down the hall (which does have AIT machines).
Did you happen to witness any situations where a one of two traveling companions got expedited and the other didn't? Did they send the companion to the "regular" line w/in 4a or down the hall?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
3 for 6 at MIA now, or 1 for 1 in 2012.

Pretty surprised I got the trusted traveler love today because I only booked my flight two hours ago.

BP printed at the office, not airport kiosk.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Did you happen to witness any situations where a one of two traveling companions got expedited and the other didn't? Did they send the companion to the "regular" line w/in 4a or down the hall?
As of this morning (about 11:45), there is no longer any "regular" line in 4A. If you don't scan "LLL," you go down the hall to 4B.

Not to say there won't be further adjustments - this is all very new and beta-ish - but this morning the only people going into 4A were the people actually selected for expedited screening. Not even Pre-Check members themselves, if for some reason they weren't selected today.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
There is a GE card, and it even has your picture on it. You know that time they ask you to look into the camera and they say "don't worry, it's just for internal use" ? Well, that's the picture they put on your card.
I have NEXUS and apparently (according to a guy I know in Detroit who uses NEXUS lanes in and out of Canada a lot) the recently-issued GE Card works on NEXUS lanes BACK to the US but not the other direction. I've never had to pull out the card at GE kiosks, but you do need a card at NEXUS lanes. Maybe that's why they issued a GE card - so you can drive back to the US via the "US controlled" NEXUS entry point.

Since you can get cleared for GE w/o any interview or retention of data by Canada in the app process, maybe that's a good deal if you don't mind the regular lanes inbound to Canada.

The cards look virtually identical. And I don't think you can obtain (or need) a GE card if you went through GOES for NEXUS. Apparently if you have a GE card and later want to add NEXUS you'll get that card. No idea if you are supposed to surrender the GE card to do that.

Last edited by AATrout; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.