Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DWFI
LAX Secure Connector Terminal 4 <--> Tom Bradley International Terminal
Secure airside passage between Terminal 4 and TBIT opened 25 Feb 2016; T3 access is near Gate 41.

International arrivals security is open now; after dropping baggage off at the recheck facility proceed as if you were going to the curb. Turn right as you approach the exit to signage indicating the 40s gates. The baggage recheck facility and new south terminals bus port - replacing T-4 Gate 44 - are scheduled to open in the future. See page 1 for photos and guidance..

NOTE: LAX / LAWA allows passengers with a same day boarding pass access to any terminal. See Twitter link.

One can now travel between AA Terminal 4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) via the new secure airside connector (two way airside access is here, as arriving international passengers can now clear Security after they process USCBP formalities), and to proceed airside between TBIT, the American Airlines and the legacy US Airways / Alaska terminals without leaving Security via airside.

In T-4, the access to the south terminals airside tunnel is from Gate 44, signposted "Terminal Transfer" (the current bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. There is an elevator located to the right of the escalators (inside a little hallway) that will take you directly to the tunnels. Please consult the LAX terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6. (TWA884)

A shuttle bus from ground level near Gate 44 at T-4 and another bus port at T-5 connect to the Remote (American Eagle) terminal, with its own Club.

A walkthrough Youtube video is available at Post #16:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26244110-post16.html

Link to John Nguyen's article on Airline Reporter (with video of T-4 to TBIT walk). "Arguably, the biggest beneficiary to the connector is American Airlines, whose T4 is immediately adjacent to TBIT, and in fact has an agreement with the airport to operate several gates out of TBIT. The connector eliminates the need for passengers on Qantas flights to take a shuttle bus, as the walk from T4 to the TBIT gates should take around 5-10 minutes at a medium pace. In fact, it was measured at just under 4 minutes from Gate 41 to the entrance of the Oneworld First Class Lounge operated by Qantas."

You can now process security at TBIT (assuming you have a mobile or printed boarding pass) and walk to T-4:

See Microwave's post #232 for photos and detailed information.

Originally Posted by Microwave
I just used it departing from Los Angeles on Sunday, so it's definitely accessible from landside for local departures. Check in online or on your mobile so you have your BP to hand when you arrive, then have your driver deposit you on the arrivals level, at the far side of TBIT near the Shuttle Express stand. Go in the sliding doors which lead to the international arrivals area and turn immediately left: voila, the secret checkpoint. Once you clear security, take the lift up to level 5 and you can go either direction to T4 or TBIT; if you head toward the latter, you will be rather conveniently deposited directly at the Qantas First lounge entrance without having to fight any crowds.
This thread is about the airside connection walkway between AA Terminal 4 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT. For archived posts made prior to the opening, please see here.

NOTE: LAX TBIT oneworld Premium / oneworld Business lounge and oneworld Qantas First lounge and access rules here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

NOTE: Shuttle busses connecting Terminal 4 and TBIT are no longer offered, and would take considerably longer than the 4-5 minute walk airside.

The opening date for the airside connector was originally Friday, 4 Dec 2015, March 2016 25 February 2016.

American Airlines has preferential access to four gates at TBIT. Some domestic and international AA flights may depart from TBIT (gates 110-159). Some international AA flights can arrive at TBIT, and occasionally at the remote West 200 jetways to bus islands. Until the airside connector adds security processing for passengers arriving internationally, TBIT to Terminal 4 must be landside. TBIT is now connected airside to the south terminals 4, 6 and 8. TBIT is also connected to north, odd-numbered terminals.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby. (Not open until April 2016.)
    • Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic) Now open.
      • Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area. (now open)
        • A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.
          • Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.
            • A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
              • "According to American, the connector will soon provide a Checked Baggage Inspection System, a five-lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point and a South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer." - John Nguyen

LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013

Terminal 4 Connector (LAWA)

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) to Terminal 4. Connecting the two terminals will allow passengers easier access to their destination for those needing to reach a connecting flight, with the added convenience of not having to recheck their baggage.

Fact Sheet - Terminal 4 Connector (Link to PDF) says:

This $115 million project consists of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 4. The Terminal 4 Connector will make it easier for passengers to make connecting flights out of different terminals. The new CAL Green Certified space will include a Checked Baggage Inspection System (CBIS), South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer facility and a five lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point (SSCP). A Passenger Bus Port is also being added for travelers transferring between Terminals 5 through 8 and a Public Plaza will be built for outdoor seating on the upper level.
Link to architectural renderings

LAWA Web Cam Views of the connector: EarthCam Construction Camera - LAX -Los Angeles World Airports

For LAX connections, see: AA Guide to LAX / Los Angeles International Airport, MCT (in use - under construction

See Post #131 for renderings and timetable.

Q. Where do I check in for an AA or Qantas flight?

You can check in at AA Terminal 4 for AA - and there is NO LONGER a Qantas counter in Terminal 4 - you must check I at the Qantas counters in Tom Bradley International Terminal / TBIT.

If checking in with AA but departing from TBIT, you can clear security in Terminal 4 and take the secure airside connector to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

If departing on Legacy US or American Eagle flights, those departing from the 60s gates including 60A-J, you will find it more convenient to check in at Terminal 6.

(For other airlines you may be connecting to, if you haven't been checked in previously you must check in at the TBIT (e.g. Air Fiji, Air Nui, airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, etc.) or other terminal (e.g. Qatar departs Terminal 2).

Access rules: (v. Feb 25, 2016) See here.

Qantas - oneworld First Lounge

Must be Emerald or First class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

one world Business Lounge operated by Qantas (not a QANTAS Club)

Must be Sapphire or Business class passenger on a oneworld marketed and operated carrier ("qualifying flight") and
  • Departing on a longhaul international flight, or
    • Departing on a one world flight, having arrived on a qualifying longhaul international flight, or
      • Departing in First or Business on AA to JFK on a 3 cabin A321T.

Updated 19 Aug 2016 by JDiver

updated Oct 4 2016 by QueenOfCoach to include information about the elevator (lift) taking the passenger to and from the T4 concourse level to the tunnel level
Print Wikipost

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
How about other OW carriers? LA and BA and CX and QF would be lovely!
Yes, it would.
It's not that simple. In order to participate in the PreCheck program, airlines must include the KTN in the PNR, be able to receive from the TSA passengers' PreCheck eligibility information and incorporate strong digital signatures into the barcodes of their boarding passes. Adding that technological capability may not make financial sense to foreign carriers if only a small percentage of their passengers would benefit from it.

That is discussed in the following thread in the Travel Safety/Security - Trusted Travelers forum (specifically in posts # 44, 75 & 80):
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's not that simple. In order to participate in the PreCheck program, airlines must include the KTN in the PNR, be able to receive from the TSA passengers' PreCheck eligibility information and incorporate strong digital signatures into the barcodes of their boarding passes. Adding that technological capability may not make financial sense to foreign carriers if only a small percentage of their passengers would benefit from it.

That is discussed in the following thread in the Travel Safety/Security - Trusted Travelers forum (specifically in posts # 44, 75 & 80):
Thanks for the reality-check.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Nothing is easy or simple at the nexus of two bureaucracies. it'd still be nice.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I did take pictures but don't have the time to get them uploaded just yet, will get them on later.
Better late than never, I suppose. Here are some pictures I took.
  • The first picture shows the perspective one would see immediately after turning right after baggage recheck (assuming you're clearing immigration and customs at TBIT) -or- the perspective one would see entering the terminal having been dropped off at TBIT at the arrivals level kerb and entering the building at the far end near the Shuttle Express stand and turning left.
  • This picture thus faces roughly south:
  • I've aded a green arrow to show where one would be arriving from (kerb or bag recheck) and where to go.
  • Follow the arrow to the brightly lit corridor through the door, where you'll be taken here (this picture also faces roughly south):
  • Once here, follow the green arrow left; also notice the overhead sign showing "Gates 40-159".
  • In this next picture I've shot the TSA security area after I've cleared security, so now I'm facing back toward the way we came.
  • This picture is thus facing north:

I've added green arrows to show the passenger flow. One would enter the security area from the corridor in the 2nd picture (you can see some of the security gear in that pic), pass along the back of the room through the tensa barriers to the ID check. From there, proceed through security and follow signs to the lift, up to level 5, where you can turn left to get to T4 and right to get to TBIT (immediately adjacent to the QF F lounge entrance). I didn't take pictures of this as by the time someone had got this far there would be signs showing where to go (and nowhere else really to get lost). Enjoy!

Last edited by IBJoel; Jul 13, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

<snip>
Thanks so much for this! Glad to know that it not only conveniences TBIT to T4 connections but is also handy for hitting the QF F lounge in TBIT as well.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2016 at 11:45 am Reason: Delete repeated images and content
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:49 am

<snip>
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this! (I've linked to the post in the Wikipost.)

This is the exact route we took arriving from LHR on AA (once we walked from T-4 Gate 41 through the underground passage to TBIT and processed formalities) between TBIT to T-4 later last month. In too much of a hurry to take notes or photos, but security was quick and easy here - much more so than it would have been at T-4!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks Microwave, very helpful. That definitely has the feel of an afterthought to it, doesn't it? Though, I guess several of the T4 checkpoints do also.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Glad to know that it not only conveniences TBIT to T4 connections but is also handy for hitting the QF F lounge in TBIT as well.
At least for the moment, with no queues and PreCheck lite at this checkpoint, this would definitely be the fastest route from kerb to QF F lounge if one has no bags to check.

Originally Posted by deeruck
That definitely has the feel of an afterthought to it, doesn't it? Though, I guess several of the T4 checkpoints do also.
It does seem a bit odd... This part of the TBIT building isn't brand new, as Bradley West was tacked onto the west part of the old TBIT building (of which the corridor leading to the checkpoint is a part). Ultimately LAWA need to add more and better signage to direct passengers this way in order to drive usage. Once that happens the party may be over, but even if this checkpoint gets busy it should alleviate some of the pressure at the standard T4 and TBIT checkpoints so there should be some benefit spread around.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
It's hard to imagine that BA doesn't have a large percent of passengers who would benefit, considering how many flights they operate to/from the U.S. I would think JL and CX probably have a good percent of Pre-Check eligible passengers as well. However, I have no guess as to the cost to each carrier to support Pre-Check (especially including IT changes).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
It's hard to imagine that BA doesn't have a large percent of passengers who would benefit, considering how many flights they operate to/from the U.S. I would think JL and CX probably have a good percent of Pre-Check eligible passengers as well. However, I have no guess as to the cost to each carrier to support Pre-Check (especially including IT changes).
I have no idea what percentage of BA, JL or CX's global traffic are passengers departing from US airports who are members of the Trusted Travelers programs (GE, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck).

That being said, this discussion belongs in the No TSA PreCheck with Non-participating Airlines [merged threads] in the Travel Safety/Security - Trusted Travelers forum (shameless plug for a forum that I co-moderate ).
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:00 pm

Posts that are more about LAX connections and interterminal TBIT-T4-T6 and not directly about TBIT-T4 airside connector have moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

/Moderator

NOTE: Whether one has PreCheck on one's boarding pass or not, I find using my Global Entry card as admitting identification to TSA CHEVK-in queues gets me the PreCheck queue, or where there isn't one (TBIT-T4 connector at TBIT side) they'll give me "PreCheck lite" (no shoes or belt off, no necessity of removing liquids and gels bag or laptop / tablet, variably).
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JDiver
NOTE: Whether one has PreCheck on one's boarding pass or not, I find using my Global Entry card as admitting identification to TSA CHEVK-in queues gets me the PreCheck queue, or where there isn't one (TBIT-T4 connector at TBIT side) they'll give me "PreCheck lite" (no shoes or belt off, no necessity of removing liquids and gels bag or laptop / tablet, variably).
I was not aware that TSA ID checkers would grant you Pre-Check / Pre-Check Lite just by showing your GE card. I wonder if this would be the case with a NEXUS card?

However, my experience with Pre-Check Lite is that one is required to remove liquids/gels and laptops. The rule seems to be that since you are holding a "Lite" card, you yourself get the special treatment (shoes and belt on, WTMD instead of body scanner) but since your bags go through the scanner on their own, the standard rules apply to them.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Does anyone know if the recently commissioned TBIT transit/arrivals security (as per post #229) is open all day - looking for it to be open around 8pm?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:04 pm

Los Angeles Daily News:
New $148.5 million LAX facility saves passengers a whole lot of time connecting flights

<snip>

At a ribbon-connecting ceremony in front of a glassy bridge with an airfield-view, Mayor Eric Garcetti and airport officials clasped the buckle of an oversized seat belt and hailed the facility as an important piece of a $14 billion modernization of the worlds seventh-busiest airport.

The multilevel, airside building provides direct access between Tom Bradley International Terminal and south-facing Terminals 4-8, eliminating the need for passengers to exit one terminal, walk or take a shuttle outside, and go through TSA lines to enter the other.

Instead, they can take moving walkways and escalators through a towering, light-filled atrium, and rescreen at a much less crowded internal checkpoint.

Only two of four screening lanes have been needed to process about 3,000 passengers a day since a soft opening in the spring, officials said.

<snip>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.