Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Responsibility of AA for Invalid Passport?

Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Alright, I will try to make this as short and brief as possible.

My grandmother purchased a ticket from Charlotte to Laos and her passport expires in March of 2018. She was not aware of the 6month rule. The problem was that on the first leg of the flight was through American Airlines from Charlotte to LA. American Airlines checked her passport and then allowed her to get onto the flight. She arrived in LA and then when she attempted to board the flight from LA to the next leg of her trip (S. Korea), she was denied boarding due to her passport having less than 6 months left upon return. The problem here was that we had to buy her a ticket back from LA to Charlotte.

I understand it is the traveller's responsibility to make sure they have all of the proper documentation and when my cousins bought the tickets, they assumed that since her passport hadn't expired, all they needed was a visa. My question is, does AA bear any responsibility for allowing her to board the flight to LA in the first place, which resulted in her having to purchase another ticket back home to Charlotte? Please advise
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 2y4life
My question is, does AA bear any responsibility for allowing her to board the flight to LA in the first place, which resulted in her having to purchase another ticket back home to Charlotte?
No.
seat38a, wolfie52, seawolf and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
No. Passport/Visa issues PAX responsibility 100%+ of the time.
2y4life likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
No.
So even though AA was aware that passengers must have 6 months left on their passport and they let a passenger on with less than 6 months left on their passport to board their flight, they bear no responsibility?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
So even though AA was aware that passengers must have 6 months left on their passport and they let a passenger on with less than 6 months left on their passport to board their flight, they bear no responsibility?
Yes, they bear no responsibility. YOU DO.

If you are looking for AA to compensate you for a mistake they did not make-good luck with that.
2y4life likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
No. The passenger is 100% responsible for having proper documents.
wolfie52 and 2y4life like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Yes, they bear no responsibility. YOU DO.

If you are looking for AA to compensate you for a mistake they did not make-good luck with that.
I understand what you are saying but why did they let her board on the first place? Why not deny her upon the first flight? Why let a passenger, with basically an invalid passport, board an international flight?

And thanks, I do appreciate everyone taking their time to respond.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I understand what you are saying but why did they let her board on the first place? Why not deny her upon the first flight? Why let a passenger, with basically an invalid passport, board an international flight?

Because based on what you suggested, it wasn't an international flight. She was boarding Charlotte to LA. When she tried to board the international leg they didn't let her on, per your comment. Unfortunately, it's up to the passenger to understand the document requirements for their final destination, and the airline doesn't often check until departure from the gateway city (in this case, LA)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Happened to me too

Happened to me and my son. Our family flew to Australia then tried to continue on to Indonesia. My son was denied boarding for Indonesia in SYD for exactly the same reason. Some countries have no PP validity/visa requirements, some have 1 month, and some have 3 months and some have 6 months PP validity requirement. I felt like an idiot but I didn't try to blame anyone else: it was MY fault. I lost 6 tickets from AU to ID (couldn't just leave a 15 year old in AU). Big $$ hit for me, but lesson learned.

BTW it turned out to be a great extra week in SYD so when you have lemons; make lemonade.

Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lds89
Because based on what you suggested, it wasn't an international flight. She was boarding Charlotte to LA. When she tried to board the international leg they didn't let her on, per your comment. Unfortunately, it's up to the passenger to understand the document requirements for their final destination, and the airline doesn't often check until departure from the gateway city (in this case, LA)
This. There's no need to check 6 month validity on a domestic flight (CLT - LAX). In her case, she probably used it as identification rather than passport verification.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The passenger required no passport to travel to LAX and it would be wrong of AA to stop passengers at that point - for example, the passenger may have their passport at LAX

The passenger is solely responsible for having required documentation and there is no way that AA is responsible for costs of getting back
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Note that some countries require passports to be valid for at least six months. Passport, visa and health requirements for entry into destination countries and for transit through a country are provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) on united.com as a courtesy and must be verified before travel.
The airline that controls the flight departing to an international destination has the ultimate obligation to check all immigration and passport visa requirements for the destination country must check full validity in accordance with what is published by International Air Transport Association (IATA) using TIMATICWEB. (Agents on connecting flights are not, AFAIK, obliged to do so.)

Failure to do so can result in a scenario like this: friends of mine flying on AA miles in CX Business flew AA SMF-LAX and then CX onward to HKG and DEL. On arriving at DEL, an anomaly (name error) was discovered in her visa, invalidating the visa. Cathay was required to transport her back on the return flight out of DEL at their expense (and making CX subject to a fine iirc up to $10,000). This is why airlines are pretty avid at checking docs - an employee allowing an improperly documented passenger to board can be disciplined for such an event. But the passenger bears the ultimate responsibility.

It is ALWAYS up to the passenger to check requirements and conditions of transit and destination countries. Or, one can pay agencies to do the research and issue the visas. Would-be travelers can always check out travel documentation requirements themselves using IATA TIMATIC- one airline that makes TIMATIC available freely is United, at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 29, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The passenger required no passport to travel to LAX and it would be wrong of AA to stop passengers at that point - for example, the passenger may have their passport at LAX

The passenger is solely responsible for having required documentation and there is no way that AA is responsible for costs of getting back
I can name another carrier - Delta - that routinely demands travel docs before allowing passengers to embark on a domestic segment with immediate connection to international. You'll hear passengers paged out of DTW as they head to ATL, JFK, LAX...

That doesn't change passenger responsibility here. 'They didn't tell me I failed soon enough' doesn't have much play.
bruceba, DiverDave and James91 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There have been some recent incidents, IIRC on UA, of passengers not being allowed to fly domestic legs of international itineraries without passports. In one case, someone started on the east coast, but lives in LA and had planned to go home to pick up the passport during a stopover (or connection?) at LAX. There was another incident in which the passenger without documents was a child and IIRC the custodial parent was going to bring the passport to the airport en route.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
What airline was flying the LAX-ICN leg? Did you get a boarding pass when checking in at CLT?
TWA884 and dw like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.