Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The nine low MTOW Pratt & Whitney PW4168 engine equipped Airbus Industrie A330-300s had been scheduled for retirement (returned to lessor at end of lease) by late 2018 2021 now due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link). (The A330-200s, with more compatible Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines, will continue, however.)

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra are not expected to be installed on the A330-300, at this time. It’s unpredictable if they might be refutted with the extended retirement dates.

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

For the specific thread about the Zodiac Envoy Business seat, please see LUS A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330:
A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-300

Envoy / Business:
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites"
* Seats A and H have windows and aisle access, angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Economy:
* Rows 8 through 40
* Configured in a 2-4-2 pattern (A and H are windows with B/G beside them)
* Exits at row 25
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300:
A333 in New Livery

Link to archived older posts (back to 2011) from this thread.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Airbus A330-300 / 333 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is seat 1A OK on the A332/A333? I want to sit on the left side departing SJU (views etc) and this is the only window seat on that side. I'm guessing there are no bulkhead issues since this is a J seat right?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is seat 1A OK on the A332/A333? I want to sit on the left side departing SJU (views etc) and this is the only window seat on that side. I'm guessing there are no bulkhead issues since this is a J seat right?
Nope...It's a good seat.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:51 pm

Can someone confirm availability of seat power in Economy? I was going to pick this plane because of AVOD (I think) and seat power.

I sometimes travel coach or occasionally business class. Did a trip on UA in coach to Europe a few months ago. It was not very comfortable but OK. How do these planes compare in coach, would I be better off taking the more direct flight with the 763 (overhead TV, no AVOD)? Thinking to go RDU-CLT-LHR-NCE or RDU-LHR-NCE.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Depending on your carry-on baggage, the only issue you might have is that there is literally no overhead bin above 1A and 1H on the A330-300.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So my first time in these seats and I thought they were kind of awkward. You can only move the seat in two directions? There was no way to just raise the leg part without having to also go down with the back of the seat.

Not a fan of the cabin design either....the fake light wood and those blue seats with no adjustable headrests....yuck! Who picked this crap?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
So my first time in these seats and I thought they were kind of awkward. You can only move the seat in two directions? There was no way to just raise the leg part without having to also go down with the back of the seat.

Not a fan of the cabin design either....the fake light wood and those blue seats with no adjustable headrests....yuck! Who picked this crap?
Seriously? This is my all-time favourite airplane.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Can someone confirm availability of seat power in Economy? I was going to pick this plane because of AVOD (I think) and seat power.

I sometimes travel coach or occasionally business class. Did a trip on UA in coach to Europe a few months ago. It was not very comfortable but OK. How do these planes compare in coach, would I be better off taking the more direct flight with the 763 (overhead TV, no AVOD)? Thinking to go RDU-CLT-LHR-NCE or RDU-LHR-NCE.
I believe the A330 only has USB power in Y.

The A330 is fine and comfy in Y and has AVOD. The one thing it doesn't have is adjustable (winged) headrests, which is kindof a big deal to me. So I choose 767 over A330 in Y. (and the 767 has MCE)

Though the A330 is probably better than the 767, I don't think I would add an extra connection just to fly it.

Amen! Thank you!

I head read on these boards how it's pretty much the same seat as the 77W seat (but a bit less nice.) Yeah, no.

The seat is is not very adjustable, so you don't have a wide variety of comfortable positions to get into, the headrest isn't adjustable and not winged, the side table is tiny, there's no storage, there's no knee cut out, it's way more open than the 77W one (and thus much less private) and the reading light sticks out and is in the way. And as you mentioned, the colors are not very nice (but that I can deal with that.) The fake wood veneer is way too light, covers a giant surface (bulkhead and closets) and looks like it came straight out of the 70s.

Nope, the A330 is definitely a plane I will avoid when possible. On overnight flights, it's fine as fully flat is what I want. But on a day time flight, there's no clear winner between the A330 seat and the NGBC seat. Better IFE and all aisle acces vs much more comfortable seat and adjustability.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
I head read on these boards how it's pretty much the same seat as the 77W seat (but a bit less nice.) Yeah, no.

The seat is is not very adjustable, so you don't have a wide variety of comfortable positions to get into, the headrest isn't adjustable and not winged, the side table is tiny, there's no storage, there's no knee cut out, it's way more open than the 77W one (and thus much less private) and the reading light sticks out and is in the way. And as you mentioned, the colors are not very nice (but that I can deal with that.) The fake wood veneer is way too light, covers a giant surface (bulkhead and closets) and looks like it came straight out of the 70s.

Nope, the A330 is definitely a plane I will avoid when possible. On overnight flights, it's fine as fully flat is what I want. But on a day time flight, there's no clear winner between the A330 seat and the NGBC seat. Better IFE and all aisle acces vs much more comfortable seat and adjustability.
It's an earlier version of/predecessor to the current 77W seat, sort of like the difference between using a 1st generation iPhone versus a current iPhone 6S+. It's the same phone but a completely different experience.

Having flown in a 77W J seat the day before, I was particularly disappointed by the limited adjustability options. As far as the faux wood interior goes: I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I think I'd prefer the new 767 J seat over the A330, but this is also partly due to a personal preference for not sitting at an angle to the window because it makes it harder to look outside.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Looking back in this thread, I haven't seen anything definitive on the Exit Row 25 on the 333. I'll be flying CDG-CLT next week with my wife, so since it is a daytime flight, I'm not worried about light/noise....mainly looking for legroom.

As of now, looking on ExpertFlyer, 25 A/B and G/H are showing as blocked. Does anyone know when those typically open up? Is it possible to get them 24 hours in advance by calling? Airport assignment only?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tmm1012
Looking back in this thread, I haven't seen anything definitive on the Exit Row 25 on the 333. I'll be flying CDG-CLT next week with my wife, so since it is a daytime flight, I'm not worried about light/noise....mainly looking for legroom.

As of now, looking on ExpertFlyer, 25 A/B and G/H are showing as blocked. Does anyone know when those typically open up? Is it possible to get them 24 hours in advance by calling? Airport assignment only?

Thanks for any insight!
I think I read on this board that they're crew rest seats. If so, they will remain blocked.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by Djokison
I think I read on this board that they're crew rest seats. If so, they will remain blocked.
What about for domestic flights? Flying PHL-MCO, but they show blocked. Anyone know when/if they get released?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
What about for domestic flights? Flying PHL-MCO, but they show blocked. Anyone know when/if they get released?
Unblocked at T24
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
To report back, I flew in 8A on Sunday CDG-CLT...8A and B were blocked until 24 hours before departure, at which point I grabbed them. For a daytime flight, these seats were perfect. The bulkhead wall is in front of these seats, but there is much more legroom than a narrowbody A319/320. I'm 5'11" and I could extend my legs almost fully. I could easily get out of my seat without my wife needing to move in 8B. For an overnight flight, the light and noise from the galley may be an issue, but no issue flying westbound from Europe.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by McSam18
Unblocked at T24
They're blocked for airport assignment, so while it is possible to unblock them 24 hours before departure, it can only be done at the airport and the seats won't be available for selection from the seatmap.

Same is true for equivalent seats 23ABGH on the A330-200.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just switched to AA from United

Hi,

I have just switched this year from United to AA (through work they do a staus match). So am AA Plat right now.

I am taking detailed notes on all aircraft, as I did with United, as I am 6'4 and biggest priority to me is legroom as I cannot sit in normal seats.

One major difference I have noticed, is that nearly all United flights , particularly domestic like the 737s, a320/319 etc all have the bulkhead cutout on the front row of E+.

With AA/US planes , they never have that, so even though they show up as prime seats on maps, they are in fact the worst seats for me - even worse than a standard seat, as I can never put legs out due to bulkhead.

Anyway, as I am getting to grips with 'preferred' (which means crap) and 'main cabin extra' (which means not as crap, but could be even worse), I find my only option is to sit in exit row ever time. I even have to base my flight routes, dates, schedule around available exit row seats when travelling for business.

So, in July, I am taking my 4 year old to see her grandparents in UK and therefore the exit row option is out.

So other than some general preferred/ main cabin advise you can give me, could you tell me where I should sit on an A330-300 ?

I have not flown on one before. Middle 4 seats row 8 show' main cabin extra' but there looks like there's a bulkhead , if so, can you stretch legs out or should I avoid that row?

What is the legroom in the 2 seats port and starboard , they just show up as standard seats, and other than to row 8 , there seems to be no extra or preferred seats on this plane. Does this mean standard seats have good legroom, like say an E+ seat on United ?

thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.