Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It certainly was available on the ground when I flew it a couple weeks ago...CLT was dealing with weather and the extra two hours on the ground before take off were made much better by the fact that it was!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:11 pm

At first I liked the faux wood, but taking a closer look I changed my mind

Pic from 8/12/16 CDG-PHL
Attached Images  
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Too bad I am gonna fly this bird in economy, 6F seat reserved.
The reports here are not really encouraging.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:42 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CLT
The aircraft had the new AA bulkheads, carpets, and seat covers in Y with the red strip at the top of the seat. I will say that the leg-room on these birds is decent, and I wouldn't mind spending a little longer on them. I found the old US leather covers to be much more plush, however. The new AA covers seem to be much more firm…perhaps because they aren't broken in yet.

One thing that was odd was that the IFE was still very much from US. There were no AA video PA announcements (boarding, exit row, level off, etc…) and the FA's on the welcome screen were wearing the US uniform. Likewise, in the GPS, flight was identified as a US Airways flight AA1906
Yes, everything is exactly the same (even the seat cushions), just swapped out seat covers, carpeting and bulkhead covers. Nothing was refurbished including the IFE - however they might have updated the IFE software.

This is a little disappointing considering those birds are going to be in the fleet long term, but they felt putting a lipstick on a pig will suffice from a product standardization perspective. Some might opine that the actual standardization will take place when they launch the PE installation project for the A332, but the target completion is three years from now, which is a long time.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:29 am

Just flew N285AY and N282AY in the last few days. Really love the A332. Front to back not really a bad seat on the plane.

N282AY has refreshed interior with wifi.
N285AY still has the faux wood but has wifi installed.

IFE in both need desperate updating. it's slow and the touchscreens are infuriating to use.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by werDrD
IFE in both need desperate updating. it's slow and the touchscreens are infuriating to use.
Be careful what you wish for. "Updating IFE" can mean removing the PTVs.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Why would anyone EVER think that faux wood looked good in the first place?
Lol. It was there to match the suite surface areas. Clearly the decision makers thought that wood was classy or "luxurious." It often does add a classy touch when used in trim (such as luxury car interiors), or in the right color/design combinations (Cathay's new F class lounge designs and styling, and even some of the LUS clubs). I think we can all agree that the bulkheads looked awful. Sooooo typical from the HP team, though. Surprisingly, I really like how the new grey seat covers combine with the remaining navy trim in the suites and on the seat walls/dividers. Very happy that they kept fabric seat covers, rather than going with leather, like the Delta One seat.

Some thoughts and musings...
Honestly, I think these cabins and the product still look great. I still remember when these planes first started flying in early 2010 with the suites. When you were in them, at least for a few hours, you could forget you were on US. For those who don't know or remember, US planned for the suite to be delivered on the plane, but even THEN, the manufacturer had production issues (the same manufacturer whose delays have plagued the 772 CIP program), which forced the first few 332s to enter service with the old Envoy loungers (the same ones that were very recently removed from the LUS TATL 757s). US had a bunch of them sitting around after the HP team came in and removed the 12 seats in the mini J cabin behind doors 2L/2R in 2007 or so, reducing them to a 6F/24J config (with all seats provided the business class soft product, of course).

Last edited by GotCalcio4; May 10, 2017 at 9:29 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
That looks like the same AA IFE get on AA planes. Just flew a brand new 787-8 and 787-9, and A321T. All have the same welcome screens.
I realize the original post was from a few months ago, but yes, it appears that at least the ground video is the same as on LAA (the destination profiles, picture of the FA). The only difference was the FA wearing a LUS uniform (which is interesting... did they do a photo shoot specifically with US FAs in their uniforms for these planes instead of just using pics of AA FAs???)

With respect to the IFE control in Y, while the 773 and 787s may have controls, the LAA narrow body fleet definitely doesn't have controllers in Y, only in F.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:28 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I realize the original post was from a few months ago, but yes, it appears that at least the ground video is the same as on LAA (the destination profiles, picture of the FA). The only difference was the FA wearing a LUS uniform (which is interesting... did they do a photo shoot specifically with US FAs in their uniforms for these planes instead of just using pics of AA FAs???)

With respect to the IFE control in Y, while the 773 and 787s may have controls, the LAA narrow body fleet definitely doesn't have controllers in Y, only in F.
Yes. After the merger was complete but US was still a stand alone airline, the IFE menus and welcome screens were harmonized, and US broadcast their flight attendants on the start screen.

The IFE is basically the same, with the exception of the broadcast video PA announcements. The touchscreen in Y is quite possibly the worst I have ever experienced-you really have to jab hard on the screen to get it to function.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Clearly the decision makers thought that wood was classy or "luxurious."
When I first boarded an ex-US 332, the faux wood reminded me of the bulkheads on DL 727s. I expected to see the psychedelic seat colors next.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Lol. It was there to match the suite surface areas. Clearly the decision makers thought that wood was classy or "luxurious." It often does add a classy touch when used in trim (such as luxury car interiors), or in the right color/design combinations (Cathay's new F class lounge designs and styling, and even some of the LUS clubs). I think we can all agree that the bulkheads looked awful. Sooooo typical from the HP team, though. Surprisingly, I really like how the new grey seat covers combine with the remaining navy trim in the suites and on the seat walls/dividers. Very happy that they kept fabric seat covers, rather than going with leather, like the Delta One seat.

Some thoughts and musings...
Honestly, I think these cabins and the product still look great. I still remember when these planes first started flying in early 2010 with the suites. When you were in them, at least for a few hours, you could forget you were on US. For those who don't know or remember, US planned for the suite to be delivered on the plane, but even THEN, the manufacturer had production issues (the same manufacturer whose delays have plagued the 772 CIP program), which forced the first few 332s to enter service with the old Envoy loungers (the same ones that were very recently removed from the LUS TATL 757s). US had a bunch of them sitting around after the HP team came in and removed the 12 seats in the mini J cabin behind doors 2L/2R in 2007 or so, reducing them to a 6F/24J config (with all seats provided the business class soft product, of course).
I would have loved if they had kept the HP coloring/interior look. Never flew on US after HP took over, but flew HP all the time. Especially since they were partners with CO back in time. Seems HP lost all sense of style when they became HPdbaUS.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ccengct
When I first boarded an ex-US 332, the faux wood reminded me of the bulkheads on DL 727s. I expected to see the psychedelic seat colors next.
I remember those seats very well! Memories...
Old May 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I apologies if this has been asked before but I cant see it, does any of the seats on row 23 ever open up on trans Atlantic flights?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would have loved if they had kept the HP coloring/interior look. Never flew on US after HP took over, but flew HP all the time. Especially since they were partners with CO back in time. Seems HP lost all sense of style when they became HPdbaUS.
Good point. I don't remember HP necessarily feeling cheap or anymore of a LCC than any of the other majors. They even used an interior design firm for their clubs. For some reason, when they became US, everything moved in house and just became...... cheap.

Another random thought. I would love to see AA spruce up the bulkheads a little bit, as the solid color now is rather bland compared to the branded bulkheads in DL, UA, and even B6 aircraft. Perhaps the new flight symbol in a shiny metallic grey color, similar to the way the US flag used to be on LUS bulkheads. It would be similar to the BA speed bird/wedge thing and would definitely add a touch of class to the otherwise plain look to them.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Jun 2, 2017 at 1:47 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps the new flight symbol in a shiny metallic grey color, similar to the way the US flag used to be on LUS bulkheads. It would be similar to the BA speed bird/wedge thing and would definitely add a touch of class to the otherwise plain look to them.
^Agree- that would look really good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.