Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm still not clear at all on how the companion certificate is handled, despite reading every post in this thread. If I apply for the card today (as I'm considering doing), and I get the companion certificate in a couple months...how do the dates for that work? It sounds like, from several posts, that depending on what time of year you apply for the card and when you get your certificates, that your window for the certs being valid could be really short. Is that correct (because if so, that's really stupid, and hard to believe!)

Are they not just valid on a rolling-year basis, meaning they're valid for a year from when I receive them (no matter when my account anniversary is)?

Since it's already the second half of the year, and I may not get the certs until Q4 if I apply now, do I need to wait until early next year (or some other time in the year) to apply for the card--does it matter when you apply for it? Would appreciate any clarification around these points, thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
...Are they not just valid on a rolling-year basis, meaning they're valid for a year from when I receive them (no matter when my account anniversary is)? ...
Each certificate will have dates listed, e.g.
NOT VALID BEFORE 8/01/2012
BOOK BY 12/31/2012
TRAVEL BY 5/30/2013

(relying on memory, as I'm traveling)

Shorter validity than a rolling year - more like 6 months to book, and more months to complete travel.

When you apply matters only if you have specific dates in mind (e.g. around Thanksgiving) for use of the certs; if so, applying in, say, January, with the shorter validity time frame (few companions except dependents can pin down their travel dates months in advance ) may not be the best idea.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I cannot imagine that they would legitimately give you 30 or 45 days to use a companion certificate. None of mine are like that.

I've got my USDM cert in front of me for a card that has a May anniversary date...

NOT VALID BEFORE 5/01/2012
BOOK BY 01/31/2013
TRAVEL BY 4/30/2013
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ITRADE
I cannot imagine that they would legitimately give you 30 or 45 days to use a companion certificate. None of mine are like that.

I've got my USDM cert in front of me for a card that has a May anniversary date...

NOT VALID BEFORE 5/01/2012
BOOK BY 01/31/2013
TRAVEL BY 4/30/2013
This makes sense to me. This is giving you a full year...8 months to book, another 4 on top of that to fly if need be, but the combined period takes you all the way until your next certificate date.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:28 pm

I have two questions and I'm hoping that I can get some help. Thanks in advance!

First, when should I expect these vouchers? I haven't seen them in the mail yet, I got the card mid july 2011. Is there a number to call if I don't recieve my voucher?

Second questions is can I add a companion ticket to a flight which I already booked or do I have to purchase both at the same time?

Thanks,
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by idman3
I have two questions and I'm hoping that I can get some help. Thanks in advance!

First, when should I expect these vouchers? I haven't seen them in the mail yet, I got the card mid july 2011. Is there a number to call if I don't recieve my voucher?
If you have the World MC, you should have received a welcome packet within a few weeks of opening your account containing a companion certificate. You should receive another one around your anniversary date (i.e., now). I would definitely call the # on the back of your CC to find out what's going on. As for your anniversary packet, it might be too early to have received it yet. I received mine shortly before my statement with the annual fee closed.

Originally Posted by idman3
Second questions is can I add a companion ticket to a flight which I already booked or do I have to purchase both at the same time?
You must purchase both tickets at the same time according to the T&Cs.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:02 pm

You must purchase both tickets at the same time according to the T&Cs.[/QUOTE]

So if I'm forced to use an online service to book my work flights, there's no option to add a companion flight then. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:24 pm

I have not seen this question

If I book a fare with a $99 companion and get ticketed, can I go back and then and use my earned miles to up grade us both to first? If that would work, since we are on the same PNR could I just use enough miles for my ticket and have my companion upgraded automatically?

ralph
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by rxralph
If I book a fare with a $99 companion and get ticketed, can I go back and then and use my earned miles to up grade us both to first? If that would work, since we are on the same PNR could I just use enough miles for my ticket and have my companion upgraded automatically?

ralph
The T&Cs do not address upgrades with miles specifically. Your companion would not be upgraded automatically unless you are requesting a Preferred Upgrade and you both clear together (which is allowed according to the T&Cs). You can always call and ask.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I booked a RT DCA-PDX with my companion ticket paid for with my credit card. I am a US Silver and my companion is a US CP. My understanding is that the companion tickets get preferred upgrades normally as if they were two purchased tickets on the same PNR. I think this means that my companion's CP status would cause both of us to get upgraded at the 7 day mark (assuming that space exists). Is this correct? Also, would changing my US DM# to my UA MP# cause the upgrade not to occur?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmk2135
I booked a RT DCA-PDX with my companion ticket paid for with my credit card. I am a US Silver and my companion is a US CP. My understanding is that the companion tickets get preferred upgrades normally as if they were two purchased tickets on the same PNR. I think this means that my companion's CP status would cause both of us to get upgraded at the 7 day mark (assuming that space exists). Is this correct? Also, would changing my US DM# to my UA MP# cause the upgrade not to occur?

Thanks!
The CP status will rule.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by jmk2135

Thanks!
Need to separate the issues:

Think of a companion ticket as just a special price on a ticket. Has no independent effect on upgrades.

The fact that you and your companion are on the same PNR means that you will be treated as a pair of CPs (with your companion's status in terms of mileage flown) from the standpoint of upgrading. At T-7, your companion will get processed for possible upgrade. If you leave your DM number in the system, you'll both get notification of whether you (both -- it's all or nothing) got upgraded or not. (Don't be surprised if there is no upgrade at T-7; TC upgrades tend not to clear, even for CPs, before T-4.)

I do not think that changing from DM (US) to MP (UA) for mileage credit will change anything except that you (singular) may no longer get notified if and when the upgrade occurs.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Anyone was able to book open jaw with it?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:04 pm

Flyer Talk is awesome again!

I finally found a list of the actual blackout dates, albeit a year+ old, but still great for reference!

The post with the info is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...astercard.html

...in case you need it.

Thanks Guy!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:54 am

Do all segments of the companion ticket itinerary need to be on US Air metal? Or can I fly United codeshare flights as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.