Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Justin7894
I've been a USAirways Mastercard holder for a little over a year and my initial $99 annual companion certificate expired on 2/28/11 (tickets had to be purchased by then to fly from 2/28 to 8/31.

I need to book travel in November, and want to use the companion certificate for this. Can I expect that they'll be sending me a new one? Is there a particular date that they are sent out, or does it depend on the date you activated your mastercard?

Thanks,

Justin
yeah, traveling in december and about ready to book my tix and just saw that my companion tik expired 18 days ago. what a crock. less than 6 months to use it but valid for travel for a year?!?!

who controls these certs, US or Barclays? Gonna call tomorrow to raise some hell over it and the fact that i haven't received another, yet.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
A couple of questions that are not clear to me from reading the terms...

Are the two $99 passes to be used independently of one another or must I use them both at the same time?

Is this travel eligible for upgrades via using miles? Can I upgrade only one-way?

Does the $99 fare earn miles?

Is a minimum fare of $250 inclusive or exclusive of taxes and fees?

Has anyone had any luck trying to book a one-way flight meeting the $250 fare and was able to use the voucher?

thanks....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oneeye4u76
A couple of questions that are not clear to me from reading the terms...

Are the two $99 passes to be used independently of one another or must I use them both at the same time?
I believe it's a single certificate valid for up to two (2) people with the purchase of a regular ticket.

Is this travel eligible for upgrades via using miles? Can I upgrade only one-way?
Yes. These are revenue tickets and subject to all related rewards (miles) and penalties (change fees), etc.

Does the $99 fare earn miles?
Yes. See above.

Is a minimum fare of $250 inclusive or exclusive of taxes and fees?
According to DCAorBust in post #3 above, it is base fare, so exclusive of taxes/fees.

Has anyone had any luck trying to book a one-way flight meeting the $250 fare and was able to use the voucher?

thanks....
I thought the T&Cs required round-trip travel. According to DCAorBust in post #3 above, round-trip travel is required.

Last edited by vysean; Nov 14, 2011 at 8:47 am Reason: found more info...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Anyone have luck using this to book a multi-segment trip? I'm tryin to do phx-CLT; then three days later, CLT-PVD, then a week later PVD-phx.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I doubt that you can do that.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by lisah101
Anyone have luck using this to book a multi-segment trip? I'm tryin to do phx-CLT; then three days later, CLT-PVD, then a week later PVD-phx.
IIRC, it must be a roundtrip, it should say in T&C. So no multicity itineraries.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:05 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
They're very strict on the usage of these certificates. There's also the risk of made up blackout dates not listed on the certificate that has affected someone on this forum.

By far the best usage in my opinion continues to be for trips to Canada - especially when starting from a southern or southwestern US city. Best bang for the buck as base fares to Canada are often considerably higher than domestic routes.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:43 am

did you find out who to complain to about the Companion Certificate?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum Marriott Gold
Lost USAirways companion ticket

Has anyone had any experience losnig their companion tickets? I shouldn't say lost as much as it was accidentally thrown out. Am I just out of luck? Any adivce before I start dialing?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by slualum
Has anyone had any experience losnig their companion tickets? I shouldn't say lost as much as it was accidentally thrown out. Am I just out of luck? Any adivce before I start dialing?
Ihave a similar problem, although i wrote down all the details on the certificate in my email .. but lost the actual certificate. are they strict about requiring the physical certificate be mailed?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UsAirways
Hi, I am an international reservation agent and passengers call in all the time asking about the companion coupons. You get one every year to "mark" your anniversary with the CC. For the one flyer who is worried about his ticket being valid as his coupon tells him it expired.... I believe you have yourself a ticket sir. Just call an agent at the airline and have them confirm your flights. They will tell you if there is an issue. Truthfully, our systems at rez are so "programed" that if your coupon is/was expired, the agents screen would have froze up and refused to let the ticket be made.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:51 pm

You need the star code on the coupon to give to the agent. Again, the companion ticket is a "special" ticket so the code is put in the computer during the ticketing process which makes the system "give" the special. Additionally, the agents are trained to tell you to mail in the coupons.....but, your ticket is already eticketed before you hang up the phone.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:53 pm

Companion coupons are only good in the states and for straight up round trip tickets. Travel vouchers on the other hand, you can do whatever you wish.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by MileageTktMaker
Companion coupons are only good in the states and for straight up round trip tickets. Travel vouchers on the other hand, you can do whatever you wish.
And Canada. Don't forget that. That's often still the best value on high priced routes to the north.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:55 pm

PS. The coupons are a bank promotion...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.